News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 30, 2021, 05:19:47 PM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ZmVAdezF8
[spoiler]1) Moxxie lecturing about the technological advantage in war as well as ongoing weapons development - my spirit animal right there lol

2) I want that hellhorse so bad.  Shut up and take my money!

3) Holy Crumbs, is that Norman Reedus??!  BY SATAN'S BEARD, IT IS!

4) Jeezus H. Crumbs, remind me to never piss off Millie[/spoiler]

Blackleaf

All that was an ad for the next season? lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Well, you know, Blackleaf, I mean, you wanna sell a TV show, you gotta, you gotta pump the gas a little.  Pedal to the metal, Blackleaf.

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bfAVpuko5o

I decided to check out Invincible because my twin is really into it and half my youtube feed is breakdowns/discussions about it.  The first half of the first episode is pretty week imo, stuff you've probably seen a million times before.  That second half, though...

So everyone, do yourself a favor and watch the premier episode all the way through cause it gets really interesting towards the end.  The second episode definitely got me hooked.

(and put subtitles on because jeez, some of those people talk fast.  Like the Micromachines guy but they also do that Hollywood whispertalk thing that drives me up the wall.  Thankfully, they stop doing that after the premier)

drunkenshoe

(Never thought of twinhood this way.)
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 04, 2021, 01:46:16 AM(Never thought of twinhood this way.)
Our tastes have diverged somewhat, but there's still a lot of common interest.  It used to be mostly me ferreting out the latest and greatest for him.  Now it mostly goes the other way, with him telling me to watch shows he likes but rarely reciprocating.  It's odd, because a lot of my recommendations are extremely similar to stuff he already likes.  For example, he loves Kick-Ass and Invincible, but won't touch The Boys.  /le sigh

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 04, 2021, 12:08:29 PM
Our tastes have diverged somewhat, but there's still a lot of common interest.  Sadly, it mostly goes the one way, with him telling me to watch shows he likes but rarely reciprocating.  It's odd, because a lot of my recommendations are extremely similar to stuff he already likes.  For example, he loves Kick Ass and Invincible, but won't touch The Boys.  /le sigh

You are pretty good that following games and tv shows. It's not just that. When you like something, you really put your head on it passionately and analyse it; follow it for years if it got old bad or not. I know that because I do the same thing. Sometimes that could be overwhelming for a sibling, twin or not. Esp. if that doesn't come to him as naturally as it comes to you. Then usually, they don't show any interest. Sometimes they watch, read...sometimes they don't. But it is not really about the show. Just an idea.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 04, 2021, 12:16:42 PMYou are pretty good that following games and tv shows. It's not just that. When you like something, you really put in your head an passionately analyse it; follow it for years if it got old bad or not.
I do but I also will stop recommending it after a decline in quality and will stop watching myself if it gets truly awful, though I do have a tendency to see the story through to its conclusion regardless of quality.

I even stopped watching TWD cold turkey after a particularly poor episode (in season 10, a reasonable person might consider that a few years too late lol) and couldn't get into the spinoffs, despite a strong effort to get into them.  I used to be all about GoT, but season 5 gave me pause and season 6 had me shaken, though I naively expected a big payoff.  Knowing what I know now, I won't recommend it at all.

So I get into things, but I try not to become so enamored that it can do no wrong.

When I do find something good, I implore people to just check out the first couple of episodes to see if it's for them or not, so I don't waste too much of their time.  I won't ask people to sit through a bad first season in the hopes of a good second season.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 04, 2021, 12:35:58 PM
I do but I also will stop recommending it after a decline in quality and will stop watching myself if it gets truly awful, though I do have a tendency to see the story through to its conclusion regardless of quality.

I even stopped watching TWD cold turkey after a particularly poor episode (in season 10, a reasonable person might consider that a few years too late lol) and couldn't get into the spinoffs, despite a strong effort to get into them.  I used to be all about GoT, but season 5 gave me pause and season 6 had me shaken, though I naively expected a big payoff.  Knowing what I know now, I won't recommend it at all.

So I get into things, but I try not to become so enamored that it can do no wrong.

Sweetie, look above. Most people wouldn't go on into the second paragraph. I would, and then some. So agreed. But people don't like it. Family just endures and tolerates it.

QuoteWhen I do find something good, I implore people to just check out the first couple of episodes to see if it's for them or not, so I don't waste too much of their time.  I won't ask people to sit through a bad first season in the hopes of a good second season.

Agreed. I'm with you. But a normal person just says: 'I've seen this show and I liked it'.

If we are not going to talk about these then what?! :lol:

Hydra009

Just finished Invincible.

Now I need to take an antiemetic and go lie down for a while and stare at the ceiling for hours (or days) while contemplating the fragility of mortality and the vicissitudes of life.  Maybe sit in the shower for a bit.  That sounds nice.

Mr.Obvious

We rewatched chernobyl.

Jared Harris brings a very relatable and sympathetic leading role.
But the man who steals the show, for me, has to be Stellan Skarsgard as Boris Shcherbina.

The entire show really is a masterpiece. And anyone who hasn't yet watched, I don't just recommend it. I implore you to watch it.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

LoriPinkAngel

Still watching Schitt's Creek but now alternating with The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

GSOgymrat

Quote from: LoriPinkAngel on May 05, 2021, 06:31:40 PM
Still watching Schitt's Creek but now alternating with The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

You might appreciate the Moira Rose GPS. 😊

https://youtu.be/HwaRZlW7arA