News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 12, 2021, 12:46:16 PMKind of want to see Stargate again, what with all the talk here and some mêmes I see popping up.
My brother loves SG1, while I'm more partial to Atlantis (I really like the blue-heavy color scheme) and we have some good discussions about who "stole" what plotlines from whom.  I maintain that a franchise cannot steal from itself and as long as they're somewhat different, I'm okay with seeing very similar scenarios.

I gotta give SG1 credit for having an amazing core cast with great chemistry together.  They also have some pleasantly surprising guest stars like T'Pol from Enterprise and Q from Star Trek in general.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 12, 2021, 12:46:16 PM
Kind of want to see Stargate again, what with all the talk here and some mêmes I see popping up.
Both SG1 and Atlantis are special.  I think Atlantis might have better productions values, but only because Hollywood was getting better at it when that spinoff aired.  I missed both until way after they were over.  SG1 struggles for the first part of season 1 to find it's stride, but once it does, it keeps getting better and more creative.  The special effects begin to soar, which again might be because there was an evolving technology during production.  But the story telling gets better, taking big leaps at times.  Toward the end, the series holds it own against any sci fi out there.  After several viewings, I still get goosebumps in places, not scary goosebumps, just the excited kind.

SGOS

One of my favorite parts:
Neutralizing the Ori Prior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XGQ6ZXxf8

Hydra009

I really liked the Ori arc.  And they certainly made a hell of a first impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNeS7qMMvbw

I wish we got to learn more about them and their history before they were toast.  The juxtaposition between the Ancients and the Ori in terms of science vs faith is just so tempting to explore in detail.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 12, 2021, 01:03:48 PM
I've seen it fairly recently, the season 4 arc seemed particularly relevant about 4 months ago.  And season 5 is growing on me.  Although it's still kinda blurry, it has held up remarkably well.  And there's supposedly a remaster available now, which should help correct that.
And what happened with Season 5 wasn't JMS' fault.  Warner screwed him over by putting off the decision on whether they'd pick up Season 5 until well beyond the last minute and he was forced to condense the core story so he could finish it in four seasons.  By the time Season 5 got the green light by TNT, they were already in production on Season 4 and had shot the series-ending episode 'Sleeping in Light' already -- which then had to be pushed back to the end of Season 5 and 'Deconstruction of Falling Stars' had to be hurriedly written and produced (although it doesn't look or play like a rush job -- it premiered during a convention I never miss, and the viewing room was packed... and the cheer that went up at the end was wall-rattling).
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 12, 2021, 03:39:01 PM
I really liked the Ori arc.  And they certainly made a hell of a first impression.

I wish we got to learn more about them and their history before they were toast.  The juxtaposition between the Ancients and the Ori in terms of science vs faith is just so tempting to explore in detail.
I think they may have left a lot of undeveloped potential on the table, but they did finish the series with a bang.  Each time I get to the end of it, I'm always wishing there could have been more. Many series, just lose steam and die a slow death, but it seems like SG1 ended at the beginning of it's prime.

Blackleaf

So the South Park Vaccination Special. I liked it. I felt disappointed by the Pandemic Special, but this one was much more solid, I think. It constantly had me like, "Oh, no..." But in a good way.  What disappoints me, though, is that this appears like it will be the last of their Covid-related content. They could have written an entire season of episodes with the shit that has gone down this last year. It seems like such a waste the way they handled it. But oh well...
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Loved it!  I especially liked the disguises/costumes.  Apparently, Loona's advice hit home.

And Moxxie/Millie's love is so incredibly heartwarming.  Those two deserve their own episode.  Murder, mayhem, and long romantic walks on the beach.  D'awww.

Blackleaf

I like that we finally got to see the angels in action. As I suspected, they are quiet smug and insufferable. Yeah, no... Yeah, no... I don't like them. They're like High School bullies. lol
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

We also see a great deal of earth.  The shows have been pretty cagey about revealing much about either heaven or earth, so it's quite the shock to see a lot of both in one episode.

Based on the pilot and episode 1, I thought earth must be in the 1990s/2000s due to the CRT monitors, the "new" universal remote, and even that vintage alarm clock type that was super popular in the 2000s.

But episode 3 and this episode has humans with smart phones.  So I guess this is present day and the rural murder family is just behind the times.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 15, 2021, 01:32:29 AMI like that we finally got to see the angels in action. As I suspected, they are quiet smug and insufferable. Yeah, no... Yeah, no... I don't like them.
That angelic deer had a very passive-aggressive Minnesota Nice way of delivering the bad news.  I also found that insufferable.  Just say what you mean!

Heaven is apparently a hard place to get into and an even harder place to stay in.  No wonder hell is overpopulated.  That makes the yearly purge even more screwed up - heaven's as-of-yet-unnamed head honcho created both the problem and solution!

Shiranu

Finished WandaVision.

Didn't realise how relatable of character she is, now I'm all in my feels.

Feels bad, man.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Falcon and the Winter Soldier

No spoilers, but I gotta ask you guys a question.  Is giving a woman flowers still a good romantic gesture?  Because she called it the most old-fashioned thing ever and that broke my suspension of disbelief.

Infinity stones make sense to me but being miffed at receiving flowers...that doesn't make sense!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 19, 2021, 07:40:51 PM
Falcon and the Winter Soldier

No spoilers, but I gotta ask you guys a question.  Is giving a woman flowers still a good romantic gesture?  Because she called it the most old-fashioned thing ever and that broke my suspension of disbelief.

Infinity stones make sense to me but being miffed at receiving flowers...that doesn't make sense!

Just watched it myself. You left out the word "adorably." She called it "most most adorably old-fashioned thing." Now, I was homeschooled, so I'm socially stunted, and I can count on one hand how many dates I've been on. So I don't know how reliable my opinion is. But it's my impression that bringing flowers on a first date is kind of much. First dates are kind of casual. You don't know each other well enough yet at that point to take things that seriously.
--Fulke Greville--