TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 22, 2021, 05:58:41 PM
Finished season 1 of 'kingdom'.
What a fucking beast of a show.
What a way to end season one.
I love the characters, the drama and the unbelievable tension.
Along with 'train to Busan', I believe south Korea has crowned itself king of the zombie genre. Kudos.

Yeah, I was really surprised by it; I expected it to be good, because I enjoy just about anything but... damn, it's actually GOOD good.

I just started Wandavision, and let me tell you... I was not sober enough for that. My brain just got melted at the end of ep 1.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

New avatar the last Airbender shows and movies, animated mind you, are on the horizon.
Fuck yeah.
Just... Fuck yeah.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Shiranu

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 28, 2021, 05:38:10 AM
New avatar the last Airbender shows and movies, animated mind you, are on the horizon.
Fuck yeah.
Just... Fuck yeah.

Hell the fuck yeah.

drunkenshoe

Bold. Stupid, but bold. Can they measure up to the quality of the original? That's one of the best pieces ever made.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 28, 2021, 06:22:33 AM
Bold. Stupid, but bold. Can they measure up to the quality of the original? That's one of the best pieces ever made.

It's with the original creators, I've heard.
I had my doubts when they said they'd make a live action series. But animated... That I can get behind.
The first Comics would already make for a fine season.

I hope to eventually see the azula redemption arc that the creators had envisioned, as well. Apparently they'd hoped to go beyond 3 seasons initially. Seemed weird to me, because it was a perfect arch in the initial story. But further seasons were scrapped after the shamalan disaster.

drunkenshoe

Oh yeah, that's good news... the original creators and anime medium.

Honestly, if they manage to keep the 'subtlety' and 'realism' do not treat the audience as stupid, they have a chance. But then that was 2005. If they try to make it fit into the new age norms, it is going to blow.

Best thing about those series is how they managed to illustrate concepts like failure, mistake, fear with head characters. It's too much for the new era tendencies, I think. It feels like they would make it 'softer', more 'positive', politically correct and polish it up. Oh godaw no. That's what I would worry about.

[spoiler]My favourite part with the series is that the hero breaks down and hides under the ocean for a bundred years at the beginning because he is scared and well, he is a kid. It's a huge negative point to start. It's perfect. That individually or as a team they keep failing is making the whole thing very successful. Do you think we would have had a character like Iroh, if it had been made last year? I don't tink so. Even Azula never looks 2 dimensional. It's possible and horrfiying to think that they could transform Katara or Suki into some version of super woman for example. Avoid characters like Master Pakku just because they are openly sexist, while they are solid in real life which kids need to be prepared for. That kind of stuff. The series are full of solid real life lessons expressed with deep character backgeounds, no apology and good stroy telling. Forget kids, adults should watch it. [/spoiler]

Well, fingers crossed.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Has anyone seen 'Behind Her Eyes'? It is making a lot of noise here and I'm curious if it is that good or just hype.

Mr.Obvious

began rewatching the last airbender. It still being on netflix and all.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 28, 2021, 04:47:31 PM
It's alright, but I don't consider it among Shyamalan's best work.  :cheesy:

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 28, 2021, 04:47:31 PM

I own the full set on DVD. I want to get the Legend of Korra now. Been years since I've seen it. Not as good as the original show, but it's still enjoyable. Funny how they had to sneak the little lesbian twist in last minute, because that was SO controversial back then. Nickelodeon was a bit late to the party.

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 28, 2021, 07:40:49 PM

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 28, 2021, 07:40:49 PM

*turns on the inner Aaron burr.*

Be careful how you proceed, good man. Intemperate indeed good man.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 23, 2021, 11:05:53 PM
Sweet Home.  Basically, the South Korean Walking Dead, albeit with a unique twist. 

The Famicom game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5JqOc-8zBU

Hydra009

Quote from: the_antithesis on March 01, 2021, 02:01:00 AMThe Famicom game?
No, but that inspired the Resident Evil series and it's extremely likely that the 1989 Sweet Home movie/game similarly inspired the Sweet Home webcomic (otherwise that name is an incredible coincidence)

The Sweet Home webcomic monsters are even superficially similar to the Resident Evil monsters - massively mutated humans with enhanced physical traits and rapid regeneration.  Resident Evil more or less sticks to the human experimentation/mutation angle, while Sweet Home takes it in a more supernatural direction.