News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

https://youtu.be/F8XmjBdcu5Q

Dunno what the hell happened to that link. Here we go.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

GSOgymrat

We are in the middle of binge-watching Schitt's Creek. Everything about these characters makes me laugh.

https://youtu.be/NywzrUJnmTo

Hydra009

Wandavision Episode 5:

[spoiler]The paper towel commercial was so funny in all the wrong ways, lol.[/spoiler]

SGOS

I just watched it, but I'm not any further along knowing what's going on.  Well, I know what, but why? Still to come.

Hydra009

Wat?  It revealed so much!  Way more than last episode.  Almost nothing hasn't been revealed at this point.

SGOS

I thought I might like to watch the Superbowl, so I started googling to find a free stream, I did eventually find a Twitter feed, and watched it.  Not a very good game, but that's not my point.  Googling heralded Hulu as free. Here's a cut an paste from Google, but it's false and misleading, if not an outright lie:

QuoteYes, you can stream Super Bowl 55 on Hulu. It can be one of the cheapest streaming services out there, offering a one-week free trial before costing $5.99 per month (that's at this initial link â€" further clicking suggests that it might be $64.99 thereafter). Hulu offers local channels, including your local CBS affiliate that will broadcast the Super Bowl.

But this is the link I found again on the day after the superbowl, and now it's changed, because initially, it described signing up for the one week free trial, and then cancelling after the bowl.  Note that it does warn that "(that's at this initial link â€" further clicking suggests that it might be $64.99 thereafter)"

Indeed that's true, but you don't read that until after signing up.  This option turns on the $64.95 immediately, and cancels the free trial and any other sign up promotions you may have had.  So watching the bowl would be a $64.95 ticket, and you had to sign up for the basic Hulu plan to even find that out.  Now that I paid Hulu $11.95 for the "no advertisements version"  I cannot find that warning when I look under changing my accounts.  Thankfully, I didn't sign up for the $65 bullshit, and I can still get a free month of Hulu.

The good news is that the $12 basic plan is actually pretty good, especially for older TV series, and also has a decent selection of more current movies too.  Maybe as good as streaming Disney or HBO, not the same selection of course, but a selection that is just as good, and for less money, although that's a matter of taste.

I did watch the Superbowl, and while it was free on Twitter, it was still a waste of my time, perhaps the most boring Superbowl I have watched.

The media still has a ways to go in getting rid of false information.  Actually Google eliminated the false part, but only the next day after who knows how many people signed up for $65 dollars worth of one month of Hulu.

Blackleaf

I got Disney+ and watched WandaVision. Without getting into spoilers, I was pleasantly surprised with this. It's creepy, with a slow build for the show's mystery. ...Until episode 4, where they basically spell out to you what exactly is going on. It's still fun after that, but I feel like the reveals in episode 4 should have been AFTER episode 5, not before it. There's still a little mystery left, and definitely some conflict, so the reveals didn't ruin the show by any means. I'm still very much hooked on it and looking forward to the future, but it does take away from the creep factor of the show.

Next on my list: The Mandalorian. Star Wars done right? By Disney? Color me surprised. Time to see if it's actually worth all that hype.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 08, 2021, 02:10:04 PMNext on my list: The Mandalorian. Star Wars done right? By Disney? Color me surprised. Time to see if it's actually worth all that hype.
This is the way.

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 08, 2021, 02:10:04 PM
Next on my list: The Mandalorian. Star Wars done right? By Disney? Color me surprised. Time to see if it's actually worth all that hype.
With all of Star Wars and the Marvel Universe, they do have a corner on the biggest of the box office buster franchises there are.  That puts them on the map for sure, but I already own all of Marvel that I can think of, and can't seem to get into Star Wars for reasons I have yet to understand.  One thing I have enjoyed on Disney is their array of programs centered around kids with magical abilities.  I'm almost embarrassed by that, because they are all the same format, and the evil guy is always kind of dopey, and everything always ends just the way it's supposed to, with enemies suddenly becoming great friends in the last few minutes of the movies.  But here's what I like about these movies for kids.  They are all so light-hearted and sappy that they are a welcomed respite at the end of the Trump era, and I feel like I need that now more than ever.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on February 08, 2021, 03:46:10 PM
With all of Star Wars and the Marvel Universe, they do have a corner on the biggest of the box office buster franchises there are.
Disney also owns X-Men, Deadpool, and the Fantastic Four (previously not connected to the MCU), Alien, Predator, the X-Files, Avatar, and nearly 3/4 of National Geographic Parters (a joint venture between Disney and the National Geographic Society) which publishes the titular magazine and TV channel.

Disney owns 3 out of the top 10 movies franchises outright (MCU, Star Wars, X-Men), and has a partnership deal with a fourth (Spider-Man).

Blackleaf

Disney has too much, TBH. And while they royally fucked up their Star Wars movies, both the trilogy and the spinoffs, they've done much better with the MCU. Somehow the MCU has kept up a level of quality previously unheard of for superhero movies. I'm enjoying The Mandalorian so far, but they also gave EA exclusive rights to make Star Wars games, and they did such an abysmal job. Jedi: Fallen Order was good, but the revamped Battlefront series was a mess, and they didn't make much more. Thankfully, that exclusivity deal will be ending soon, with a rumored Knights of the Old Republic game in the works.

So MCU, great. Star Wars...mixed bag, to put it generously.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 08, 2021, 06:14:21 PMthey also gave EA exclusive rights to make Star Wars games, and they did such an abysmal job. Jedi: Fallen Order was good, but the revamped Battlefront series was a mess, and they didn't make much more.
LucasFilms Star Wars 10-year exclusivity deal with EA is set to expire in 2023, so other companies have the green light to start making Star Wars games now to release in 2023 or later.

Games Workshop did a similar thing with its Warhammer 40k license, opening it up to a variety of video game developers.  Results were mixed, with some especially horrific mobile releases, though its hits were excellent.

As for Disney, they're fortunate to have enough money that they can simply throw stuff at the wall for a few years and make more of whatever sticks.  Kinda hard to fail with that strategy.

SGOS

OK, I just watched the pilot for the X-files.  It's good, but I never followed the series.  I surfed by it a few times but never landed long enough to get into it.  However, I may have watched one almost full episode without knowing what it was years and years ago, where some guy had to keep traveling west or his head would explode.  I was telling someone about this thing, and was told, "Oh that was an episode of X-files."  I think I'm going to enjoy this series.  The pilot seemed to do a good job of setting the series up, but we will see.  This will be like missing the entire original StarTrek, Stargate, Dexter, Breaking Bad, and Smallville, until years after they had cancelled, only to realize how much fascinating stuff is out there that I had no idea about.  Also, it's easier for me to binge watch, rather than having to pace myself with one episode a week for 6 months, and then waiting for the next season to start up.  It makes things easier to follow, and if it's really interesting, I can immerse myself to my heart's content, which satisfies whatever obsessive compulsive tendencies I might have.

Hydra009

I loved watching the X-Files during its original run.  Back when you had to watch it Sunday night or you had to wait for reruns.  And you had to rush a bathroom break in during the commercials.

It was a fresh idea at the time - a psuedo-realistic investigation into various anomalies *coughSCPcough*  The quality varied from week to week, the monster of the week was interesting and incredibly frightening most of the time, but the real selling point was the chemistry between Mulder and Scully.  Scully was such a phenomenon that she may have helped get more women into forensics and other scientific fields.

You didn't really need to binge The X-Files because one episode was scary enough and episodes were rarely referenced in other episodes.  So it's not like you miss an episode and you're totally lost.

It did great for a number of years, and even got revived after years of being off the air.  But after a while, I kinda soured on it.  It's like going to an amazing amusement park as a kid and then going to it as an adult.  It's a bit different experience.

trdsf

Bingeing on "Chef!" with Lenny Henry.

I love Britbox.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan