News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Wanda Vision is a fun hoot.  Episode 3 was not as fun and that is the same reaction Rotten Tomatoes had.  I haven't gotten to episode 4, but Rotten Tomatoes says that one is the best so far.  I dumped HBO after one month, because I only wanted it for Wonder Woman, and I signed up for Disney plus, mainly for Wanda Vision, and I'll milk Disney for a month, and then dump that.  Disney has better streaming technology, without the frequent pauses or judders.  Wonder Woman was good, but maybe not one of Marvel's better ones.  The first half hour is very good, and then it begins to lose some punch.  This is my first venture into streaming in several years.  I tried Amazon Prime when they first invented it, but wasn't impressed.  It's probably better now; I don't know.

Hydra009

I loved episode 3.  I was kinda disappointed by episode 4.  It revealed far too much and sucked most of the mystery out of the show.  I understand why they did it, so casual fans get a more firm grasp over the goings-on and don't flake out from the frustration of not knowing.  Still, it merely confirmed stuff that most theorists already knew and ultimately added very little to the mystery.  Some details were nice, and I suppose there's no other way we would be privy to that information.  In short, a necessary evil so this show doesn't become the next Lost, lol.

Personally, I loved that there was so very much that we didn't know and it was fun to try to piece things together.  Now, too much is known and there's not much left to figure out.  It's like a sudoku puzzle with most of the spaces already filled in.  :(

[spoiler]Agnes (Agatha Harkness) is totally up to something.  She's almost certainly acting as an agent of some unknown faction taking advantage of Wanda's dreamworld for their own ends.  Mephisto?

Also, Vision is 100% dead but he has been recreated from Wanda's memories and remember, her powers are derived from the Mind Stone, as was Vision's consciousness.  So it's entirely possible that something of him survived and that he could come back into existence, though Wanda is a clearly still a little foggy on how to get him to that point.  He is not a puppet - he has his individuality, though he's coaxed into a set of acceptable parameters by Wanda.

I also really liked the chaotic and unsettling Blip scene (people returning from being Snapped).  Definitely not as warm and fuzzy as it first appeared.  And you'd better hope you weren't crossing the road or traveling anywhere when you got snapped, cause that'd get messy.[/spoiler]

drunkenshoe

Myeh...It didn't take with me. I barely finished the pilot and left the second after 10 mins.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 31, 2021, 05:41:19 AM
Myeh...It didn't take with me. I barely finished the pilot and left the second after 10 mins.
I wonder how it will be received.  It's Marvel working outside their area of success to a large degree, and I can't guarantee that my interest won't fade, but so far it's nostalgic for me. 

[spoiler]What holds my attention was how well they captured the cheesy production values of the 1950s.  One neighbor has a husband named Ralph (think Jackie Gleason), but you never see him, as if the show couldn't afford to pay another actor, so he's constantly referred to.  Even the laugh track is cheesy, and they have gone out of their way to make the actor's humorous lines second rate, which tends to draw your attention to the laugh track even more. The sets are simple and with zero household clutter, which is enhanced by filming in black and white.  In episode 3 color is introduced, and I'm like, "No, no!  Don't make it in color.  You'll ruin it."  Instead of drawing viewers in, the actors act like they are acting (and they do a great job at it too).  Supposedly they are distracted by a large live audience as they project their voices in unrealistic ways.  A live audience, but there's still a laugh track???  It's like I Love Lucy and Bewitched, where they seem to spend their entire lives in only three different places besides their living room.

As a side note, try watching the first episode of the original star trek.  It may explain why I never followed the series, until it became a sci fi icon when a friend in college introduced me to the reruns.  None of the episodes after the pilot are as bad, but knowing what Star Trek eventually became, you can love the first episode while you're doing your face palms.[/spoiler]

What I remember about watching television in the late 40s and 50s (we never had a TV until I was around seven or eight) was the whole family watching TV as a family unit.  I remember my father literally holding his gut and rolling on the floor in laughter.  And the more stupid the humor was, the more we thought it was funny.

drunkenshoe

Yeah I get the nostalgic part...America placed that this into us too, LOL it is 'nostalgic' for me too in a away. But over all, it is too loud of certain things I already see everywhere. Its reception is good here as far as I get.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

The cheery nostalgia is just a veneer (and doesn't make any sense when scrutinized even lightly), and you see some pretty dark stuff in episode 1 and 2 if you pay very close attention.  For example, note the label on the wine bottle in episode 1.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 31, 2021, 10:19:17 AM
For example, note the label on the wine bottle in episode 1.
I'll go back and look for that.  I remember I was distracted, and I noticed a wine bottle, but by the time it dawned on me that it was one of those scenes you need to watch, it was over, and I didn't go back, thinking, "I hope I don't need this."

SGOS

OK, I just watched episode 4 of WandaVision.  I did not see that coming, and it blew me away.  No, there's still much more to be explained.  I gave two seasons of Agents of Shield a try, and lost interest, so I was thinking that Marvel is not cut out for TV.  This changes everything for now.

Shoe:  You need to stick with Wanda to Episode 4, and at the beginning of 4, reset you expectations to null, if episode 4 doesn't do it for you, then you can bag it, but if you quit before then, you don't have much to base an opinion on.  Don't just skip episode 3 either.  You need that to understand parts of four.  And remember Natalie Portman's air headed student astronomy intern from the first Thor movie?  I know she was just an actor doing what the director told her to do, but she actually annoyed me so much that  I would have been happy if they would have written her out of the Thor script. Holy crap, what a transformation.  You're going to love her.  I'm going to watch episode 4 again, maybe tonight.

drunkenshoe

Cheery nostalgia is not a veener. It's a necessary base. It's like painting a 'white' spot in the big canvas -for the show itself- to make things appear more as less, flowing without sticking and poking. Expressing the contemporary in with the past always works wonders and open a great space for expression. In our age, dismissing modern technology in story telling alone makes you free, and remove a lot of limits and burdens.

From any artists' point of view in any art medium, when people create a work and put it out there, they know that the audience receive it as a part of some 'whole'. As a 'whole' consisted of all the works done in the same medium in an era, as in series of eras lived in your life span and as another 'whole' an individual carries in his memory which determines his choices. Countless individual repositories in one big moving repository. Because everybody is watching many different things accoridng to their interestes, age, gender, cultural groups...etc. They all have different memories and expectations.

Every work affect, influence or even trigger another and itself a result of the same process, while some remain 'universal' they all a make the big canvas that constantly changes, every era has it own shades of colours and content of its own. What makes an era is the 'common' content. They all tell the same story, actually more like tell the old stories from that era's perspective in different ways. If you consider that today there are more movies and tv shows, any kind of story telling videos are made than any time in the past, the ultimate goal is to be able to tell that story in the most distilled, effective way. Trying to catch some sort 'universaility' for that era if you will. It happens rarely and when it happens, it moves and inspire people for a long time because that kind of thing doesn't get old easily, and influences other works for a long time: Art. Because it is not about the story, it is about how you tell it. Story changes in time when expressed in different ways. The form has dominance over content.

In this sense, black and white '50s' is a brilliant way to open a good space and aim for the precious 'less is more'. Compared to a 21st century theme it is like vast space of minecraft. 21st century is a tiny room with a window and all the objects in it has been defined. Only their colours and design change according to individuals. It's cramped. And if you ask me, when you try to put that in big space, it looks like a dull hotel lobby. 

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on January 31, 2021, 12:07:07 PMOK, I just watched episode 4 of WandaVision.  I did not see that coming, and it blew me away.
Almost all of episode 4 could be inferred from previous episodes, so it didn't do a lot for me.  Episode 3 is the one that blew me away.  I literally did a double-take and then got chills.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on January 31, 2021, 12:07:07 PM
OK, I just watched episode 4 of WandaVision.  I did not see that coming, and it blew me away.  No, there's still much more to be explained.  I gave two seasons of Agents of Shield a try, and lost interest, so I was thinking that Marvel is not cut out for TV.  This changes everything for now.

Shoe:  You need to stick with Wanda to Episode 4, and at the beginning of 4, reset you expectations to null, if episode 4 doesn't do it for you, then you can bag it, but if you quit before then, you don't have much to base an opinion on.  Don't just skip episode 3 either.  You need that to understand parts of four.  And remember Natalie Portman's air headed student astronomy intern from the first Thor movie?  I know she was just an actor doing what the director told her to do, but she actually annoyed me so much that  I would have been happy if they would have written her out of the Thor script. Holy crap, what a transformation.  You're going to love her.  I'm going to watch episode 4 again, maybe tonight.

Sorry, I didn't see your post before. I wouldn't be surprised. I actually wrote something related to that about my impression about the show above.

OK. I will look at it when I have time.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 31, 2021, 02:57:22 PM
Almost all of episode 4 could be inferred from previous episodes, so it didn't do a lot for me.  Episode 3 is the one that blew me away.  I literally did a double-take and then got chills.
See, I didn't expect episode 4.  I didn't catch the foreshadowing.  I really had no idea where the story was going.  I was just groovin'   on the nostalgia.  I did kind of wonder why Marvel Superheroes were there, and why they were trying to act like normal people.  I still haven't figured that out, and I'm not even going to guess why they are TV personalities. 

At least twice a week, I used to watch movies with a couple that I worked with.  We would take turns hosting the movies.   This was back when Netflix DVD just came on the scene, so we never knew which night the movie would arrive.  His wife would call and ask if I was up for "Movie Madness."  Her husband  would always figure out the reveals and tell us before I was even wondering about anything.  I don't think he ever miscalled it once.  I don't think he was reading spoilers.  I had never heard of spoilers back then.  I just thought he had a sense about it.

Which is why Murder Mysteries are down on my preference list.  I never know who the Hell killed the guy until the detective explains how he figured it out, and even then I'd be like,  "Yeah well, OK then.  Whatever."

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 31, 2021, 02:06:33 PM
Cheery nostalgia is not a veener. It's a necessary base.
I would agree, but lets talk about this again after episode 4.  I still don't know what to make of it all.

Shiranu

Waiting for the season to end before I hit the high seas to watch Wandavision, but I'm glad it seems to be pretty good so far.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 31, 2021, 01:53:42 PMhttps://i.ytimg.com/an_webp/RghsgkZKedg/mqdefault_6s.webp?du=3000&sqp=CIDh24AG&rs=AOn4CLCUZFebAqXJR5b1ZnlsZrW0Fown-Q

Not TV, but don't know where to put stuff like this. Episode III is out!
Woot!  Moxx and Mills are wholesome af.

For a second I thought that these videos were getting hammered by a downvote campaign or something but it turns out I didn't notice the K after the upvotes.  Considering the copious cursing and worse, unPC insults (I call 'em Legacy Insults), I thought Helluva Boss might not go over very well on Youtube.  Glad to be wrong!

Also, at this rate, Helluva Boss is going to have 10 seasons and a movie before Hazbin Hotel gets one season lol