News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Thanks. I don't think it is for me, but maybe I'll take a peek when I don't have anything.

I started to watch Jamestown. 15 mins in...I swear they are making these so women wouldn't complain about anything. It is horrifying without anything happening yet. :lol: 

E: OooK. Make it 12 mins. eek.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

The Undoing

I'm spellbound by this whodunit, and I'm not even a fan of whodunits.  I actually dislike them, because I lose interest, and some are so crappy that the killer may not have  even appeared in the story line until the last minute. But this one is amazingly well constructed.

Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, and Donald Sutherland play the lead characters.  But the whole cast is very strong.  The lead detective is such a smarmy prick, I get pissed off just watching an actor playing a role.  I'm in the 6th episode, and my guesses of who did the crime keep changing.  The police, the lawyers, and prosecutors are all scheming or despicable, so there's lot's of visceral experiences you go through.  There are sudden reveals that change the whole playing field, until your mind realizes they could be explained by alternate assumptions, and I'm constantly constructing scenarios in my head about what really happened.  I put all my other stuff on hold until I finish this thing.  My worry is that it may go for more than one season, and I'm going to be on hold for months.

Shiranu

I know it's been discussed before, but please please please please please give the Expanse a chance. It is seriously THE standard that all other sci-fi should be held to.

Around 4:00 there is a bit of a spoiler if you really want to go into it full cold turkey. Skip ahead to 4:40 if you want to skip that, because even he says he cant say too much because he doesn't want to spoil anything in such an amazing show.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on January 14, 2021, 03:26:53 AM
I know it's been discussed before, but please please please please please give the Expanse a chance. It is seriously THE standard that all other sci-fi should be held to.

Around 4:00 there is a bit of a spoiler if you really want to go into it full cold turkey. Skip ahead to 4:40 if you want to skip that, because even he says he cant say too much because he doesn't want to spoil anything in such an amazing show.

I see it's on Amazon's streaming service. Hmm... I do want to finish The Boys, and my parents don't want to watch the rest of that show because they say too many naughty words. I might get a Prime account, watch The Boys Expand, and then drop the service. There are too many streaming services these days, and most only have one or two good shows on them.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 14, 2021, 01:22:46 PM
I see it's on Amazon's streaming service. Hmm... I do want to finish The Boys, and my parents don't want to watch the rest of that show because they say too many naughty words. I might get a Prime account, watch The Boys Expand, and then drop the service. There are too many streaming services these days, and most only have one or two good shows on them.
A couple years I ago, I read this critical prediction, and thought, "Of course."  You pay over $100 a month for cable with premium channels?  If you're a news junkie, to have to buy five different packages.  If you're a sports junkie, that can be a really expensive extra.  So you think you can save a bundle by cutting the cord?  Well, you can, but if your expecting to have the same amount of junk, you're going to buy several services.

The funniest line in the whole Seinfeld series to me was George Costanza pitching a show about nothing to the TV Network boss who asks dryly, "... and why would people want to watch this show that you say is about nothing?"  And George enthusiastically replies, "Because it's on TV."

https://www.youtube.com/watch/ofOSlsNz5I8

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 14, 2021, 01:22:46 PMI see it's on Amazon's streaming service. Hmm... I do want to finish The Boys, and my parents don't want to watch the rest of that show because they say too many naughty words. I might get a Prime account, watch The Boys Expand, and then drop the service. There are too many streaming services these days, and most only have one or two good shows on them.
The Boys is too good to not finish, but yeah, definitely give The Expanse a try.

Cassia

BattleBots Baby!....Giant hammers, flame throwers, flipper jaws, spinning wheels with spikes..what's not to love?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETf5nqicFXo

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on January 14, 2021, 09:39:45 PMBattleBots Baby!....Giant hammers, flame throwers, flipper jaws, spinning wheels with spikes..what's not to love?
Was on right after The Daily Show.  Great pick-me-up after depressing news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsIVwjO1Nx4

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 14, 2021, 09:59:39 PM
Was on right after The Daily Show.  Great pick-me-up after depressing news.

Those robots are hundreds of pounds ;)

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on January 14, 2021, 10:02:57 PMThose robots are hundreds of pounds ;)
Originally, they had weight classes from 60 to 340 pounds.  The current maximum is 250 pounds.

Hydra009

Watching Wandavision

This is from literally the first minute:

*Wanda levitates a plate to the counter, but Vision absent-mindedly walks into it, breaking the plate with his head*
Vision: "My wife and her flying saucers"
Wanda:  "My husband and his indestructible head." *both laugh*

trdsf

Catching up on Series R of QI.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

the_antithesis

So I've been watching pinball repair videos on Youtube and they recently repaired a Bally's Six Million Dollar Man. Now I have a hankering to watch the show. I haven't seen it in thirty-five years, at least. Problem is, stuff I liked as a kid rarely holds up. The Muppet Show was incredibly disappointing. And Six Million Dollar Man was cheesy and dated by 1982. So, it definately won't hold up. Question is, is it cheesy enough to rollover the needle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CPJ-AbCsT8

Hydra009

Wandavision is the best.

I can't describe how it's good without spoilers, but I'll try.  Imagine I Love Lucy or Bewitched in the SCP universe.  It's all fun 50s sitcom stuff with some seriously dark stuff hidden underneath.  Fallout fans will understand.

the_antithesis

So I've been watching the Six Million Dollar Man and I'm enjoying it more than I expected. I think it's better when it embraces the dumb/bad science the show is based upon, such as how he has a bionic arm that would rip off his shoulder if he ever tried to lift anything heavy. The first instance of this was the third TV movie before the series proper started where  they get a dead bad guy and use a lady scientist's science thing of injecting the dead guy's brains into the lady scientist so she could get his memories to find the kidnapping victim.

A decent amount of the enjoyment is the brief moments I happen to remember when I watched the show some thirty+ years ago. But there is entertainment here. Steve Austin keeps making bad dad jokes.

"How did you jump like that?"
"Eat a lot of jumping beans."

And he's just so silly with his big, dumb face looking all serious and stuff.

But today I watched Episode 4 "Day of the Robot" which introduces the action figure Maskatron. Maskatron replaced an old friend of Austin's and at the end, he's presumed dead. Emotional, Steve goes for a walk by the tennis courts where he last saw his friend at the beginning of the episode and it was really kind of heartbreaking...

until the guy is suddenly there sitting on a park bench with a slight case of amnesia or something. The friend is played by John Saxon, btw. Another fun element of this show. So the guy was kidnapped by bad guys and while still more than a little disorientated from getting hit on the head from that, managed to escape and get back to the park because he had a tennis date with Steve. It was almost an emotional moment, guys, but you blew it. Wow.