News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 11, 2020, 03:24:26 PM
This universe's god (assuming there is one) would have to be an asshole, if he allows demons to procreate. A child born in Hell doesn't have a chance. They're born in their situation. It wouldn't surprise me if we got a glimpse into this world's Heaven, and it's just full of a bunch of gloating assholes who think they're better than everyone else.
I think you've probably nailed it here.  Heaven is so self-righteous and uptight that it is in many ways worse than Hell.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on December 11, 2020, 06:04:47 PMHeaven is so self-righteous and uptight that it is in many ways worse than Hell.
I think that's probably how it's going to be revealed in Hazbin, much to Charlie's horror.  It might seem like rainbows and puppies at first, but after a while, its true Celestial North Korea nature will be discovered.  Might make for an excellent two-parter season finale.

[spoiler]I still think Alastor's hidden goal is to use Charlie to investigate if travel from hell to heaven is possible and then to widen even the tiniest and momentary breach in order to launch a vicious assault on heaven's denizens.  He's going to repay the exterminations fivefold and try his best to instigate an all out war between heaven and hell.  Nothing would make him happier, and he'd gladly betray Charlie's trust to do it.[/spoiler]

Baruch

New Dalek CGI series first 5 parts free to view ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaEvHnMPeH4

Watch or be Exterminated!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Well, the new Mando is yet another absolute banger.  I honestly don't know how they managed to pull it off.  One hell of a hot streak.

I think it might be because Star Wars fans love action scenes in rustbuckets with plenty of explosions.  It might just be that simple.  I can't say the plotline is particularly complicated, but it's such a fun romp with characters we've grown to enjoy.  And I've gotta give props to all the Imperials this season.  They're fearsome and determined and more than a little creepy and I love it.

In many ways, this show is like the inverse of Game of Thrones.
Game of Thrones -> elaborate plotline, huge cast of characters, "kind of forgot", "subverted expectations"
Mando -> simple/familiar plotline, small cast, consistent characterization, fanservice galore

Blackleaf

Apparently, Disney announced TEN new Star Wars shows. They're really milking this series for all it's worth, aren't they? I haven't seen The Mandalorian yet, since I don't have Disney+, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. Hopefully the new shows can keep to that level of standards and they won't fuck them up like they did the sequels.

Visions, Ahsoka, Lando, A Droid Story, Rogue Squadron, Andor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, the Acolyte, Bad Batch, Rangers of the New Republic... How are they going to keep up with all of these new shows? Seems like a quality control nightmare.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 12, 2020, 12:28:37 AMApparently, Disney announced TEN new Star Wars shows. They're really milking this series for all it's worth, aren't they?
Definitely an r-selected evolutionary strategy.  We'll see how that plays out.  Honestly, I'm most pumped for Bad Batch, since it takes place very shortly after Order 66.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BohgNFBR2eE

Ahsoka and Obi Wan seem like good picks as well.  Dunno about the rest.

SGOS

After signing up for HBO to see Wonder Woman, I serendipitously stumbled on Raised by Wolves.  I'm only three episodes in, and so far, it has held my interest. It may be of interest here . 

Humans created so many androids that eventually there was a war between humans and androids.  The story takes place after the war. 

[spoiler]
I'm not entirely sure, but I think the androids won, and I'm still trying to put the pieces together.  The humans are deeply religious and believe in a Christian/Muslim god, which has evolved mostly only in name.  The Androids are deeply committed atheists who think the humans are both nuts and dangerous.  Both groups are dangerous.  It begins with a handful of human children being raised by atheist and rather clumsy androids who seem to be on the blink or something.  I'm rooting for the androids, but waiting for the other shoe to drop.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Raised By Wolves is so wonderfully strange, and gets progressively better, though it does have a few head-scratching moments.

[spoiler]As for the war, more is revealed later on.  So hang in there.[/spoiler]

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 27, 2020, 09:55:46 AM
Raised By Wolves is so wonderfully strange, and gets progressively better, though it does have a few head-scratching moments.

[spoiler]As for the war, more is revealed later on.  So hang in there.[/spoiler]
I just finished it.  At least I think I did, because my control panel quit telling me what the next episode was, and it seemed like an ending, but a weird one.  While I can't say I understand what happened, I most certainly stayed awake watching what happened.  I'm OK with that.  It held my attention, and I'll be processing it for awhile.  I give it points for that.

SGOS

It looks like that was season 1 with a second season that will eventually come.  Shit!  This is going to be a long wait.

SGOS

Raised by Wolves

[spoiler]I take solace in the fact that while I don't understand what's happening, none of the characters know either.  Well, OK, they think they do, but in the end, reality just takes place whether they want to come along or not.  This may be the meaning of the series.  But then a lot of things could be the meaning.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

One thing I will say about the Raised By Wolves season finale

[spoiler]I cannot wait to see what an actual atheist society is like in this setting.  While we have seen a couple avowed atheists in the show, they've always been against a backdrop of a religious society.  I want to see what they're like amongst themselves.  Can't be worse than the followers of Sol, with their strict hierarchy, zealotry, intolerance, and hypocrisy.

Given the horribleness of the war and the extremely unscrupulous manner in which it was waged, it's possible that the atheist society is just as brutal as the religious people.  Or maybe desperation drove the atheists into acting that way.  We don't know much about them other than they really like tattoos, their technology seems to lag behind the followers of Sol, and ethnically they appear to mostly come from northern and eastern Europe (the followers of Sol seem more western european descent with some African and Asian descent)[/spoiler]

Cassia

Columbo marathon on Sundance. Dark paneling, green shag carpet, heavy polyester suits, dial and pay phones, smoking in public and Plymouth gran fury police cars.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on January 03, 2021, 09:16:54 AM
Columbo marathon on Sundance. Dark paneling, green shag carpet, heavy polyester suits, dial and pay phones, smoking in public and Plymouth gran fury police cars.
I remember when I watched that show every week.  Watched an episode last night.  I was a little surprised to see that Peter Falk held up pretty well.  That episode was from '77 and it was great fun looking at our society at that time--everything from hair styles, smoking, dress and decor from that year.  I'll probably watch more in the coming days.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on January 03, 2021, 09:16:54 AM
I just added that to my Netflix que.  Haven't see that for years.  It was a remarkable idea, as a not quite a whodunit series.  Falk was perfect for the part.