News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 20, 2020, 08:10:50 AM
I finally got around to watch The Boys series. I'm in first season, ep 5. I loved it so far. I didn't expect that honestly. Finally, a realistic superhero show in a realistic world.
It depresses me just how realistic a lot of it is.  Everything is marketing and branding.  Those marketers are the true villains imo.

QuoteI'm going to marry Billy when I grow up and Homelander is one of the scariest, creepist villain I've ever seen. *Shudders.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 10, 2020, 02:48:34 AMApparently, Primal is still on Season 1. I don't get how seasons are numbered. What determines what is the end of one season and the beginning of the next? You'd think a pretty lengthy break in production would constitute a shift in seasons, but no. Some shows have no breaks in between, but they still split that time into seasons. I don't get it.
It's completely arbitrary.  Traditionally, it used to signify a break in production, but nowadays that's not necessarily the case.  And from the audience's perspective, there are often breaks within a season, so for example, you can get the first half of season 4, wait a few months, then get the second half of season 4.

Also, the number of episodes per season seems to vary tremendously, from a mere 6 episodes to dozens.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 21, 2020, 03:00:47 PM
It depresses me just how realistic a lot of it is.  Everything is marketing and branding.  Those marketers are the true villains imo.

Oh yeah... It's very good. Add that all the governments and the international deep shit in real life... Did you see the show they made with Kripke and a few of the cast? Apparently, some groups complained because Liberty is a woman. LOL

Lololol. Exactly. Have I mentioned that I been single for over a decade now. Seriously.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

[spoiler]Liberty - "People like what I say. They believe in it. They just don't like the word 'Nazi'."

I salute you Kripke.[/spoiler]

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

I got the 30 day trial for Amazon Prime, to see the new stuff, right? If I like it, I'll buy it because there is new stuff. I watch The Boys, I like it and let's see what else they have. Then I see they have Buffy. Bam! I start watching Buffy and warm up to get the vendor. I'm so easy.

Hydra009

watching The Walking Dead The World Beyond.  Boy, that was a mouthful.

I really want to like this show.  It's a fresh start away from Rick and crew (and the other series whose name shall not be uttered because it does not exist).

The basic premise of TWD is brilliant: it's your basic zombie apocalypse, but it's somewhat grounded in realism and it examines the zombie apocalypse's immense social and psychological toll.  So there's an internal struggle as well as an external one.  There's drama, tough choices, horror, compassion.  It's pretty much the human experience with zombies as a metaphor for natural hazards (natural disaster, disease, and death itself - hence the twist that walkers arise from natural deaths, not just zombie bites)

Theoretically, you could take that premise and build a pretty decent show around just about anyone - the struggle against death is universal.  In TWD, it was very tightly centered on Rick.  Normal guy, wakes up in the apocalypse, struggles first to find his family, then to protect them.  A simple but gripping story.  And then the focus got spread out all over the place and things kinda went to shit and people bailed.  And now there's spinoff after spinoff just in time for no one to care.  /sigh

Now, let's take World Beyond.  One episode in, and I barely know who the main characters are.  I don't know how they survived.  They seem extremely pampered, naive, and kinda uninteresting.  I don't really know who these people are or what they want, except for one guy, but he practically grabs the camera and talks directly to the audience so I dunno if that counts.

I only have the haziest idea what their neck of the woods is like, and that's mostly delivered by exposition dumps.

And finally, they do this green actor thing that really annoys me - a monotone delivery of some pretty emotional lines.  Just utterly kills any excitement.  I half expect someone on that to get stabbed and say "Oh no, you killed me" like they just dropped their can of soda.  I'd almost prefer them to chew on the scenery a little bit than that.  Just whatever you do, don't make the apocalypse boring.

I won't say this show is awful, but it's not good.  5.5/10, maybe.  It's just so painfully mediocre - which is not a good first impression.  I'll give it a few more episodes, then I'll give you guys my final verdict.

Hydra009

Oh and they have a "smart" guy and they show that he's smart by having him go off on tangents with a steady stream of fancy words.

That's not really how smart people operate.  Smart people like Eugene come up with new insights on stuff that no one else notices.  You hand him a map, he'll chart a faster, safer course.  You give him some scrap metal, he uses it for something useful.  You come across a crate of sorghum - he jumps for joy because he understands what that means for the community.

My favorite scene with him is one where he's held captive and doesn't have to foggiest clue where he is.  They offer him food.  He asks for lobster, which is comedic, but the answer reveals a lot of info - how close they are to the sea, how proficient they are at feeding themselves, and how far they're willing to go to accommodate him.  That's how smart people operate.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 28, 2020, 12:54:29 AM
watching The Walking Dead The World Beyond.  Boy, that was a mouthful.

I really want to like this show.  It's a fresh start away from Rick and crew (and the other series whose name shall not be uttered because it does not exist).

The basic premise of TWD is brilliant: it's your basic zombie apocalypse, but it's somewhat grounded in realism and it examines the zombie apocalypse's immense social and psychological toll.  So there's an internal struggle as well as an external one.  There's drama, tough choices, horror, compassion.  It's pretty much the human experience with zombies as a metaphor for natural hazards (natural disaster, disease, and death itself - hence the twist that walkers arise from natural deaths, not just zombie bites)

Theoretically, you could take that premise and build a pretty decent show around just about anyone - the struggle against death is universal.  In TWD, it was very tightly centered on Rick.  Normal guy, wakes up in the apocalypse, struggles first to find his family, then to protect them.  A simple but gripping story.  And then the focus got spread out all over the place and things kinda went to shit and people bailed.  And now there's spinoff after spinoff just in time for no one to care.  /sigh

Now, let's take World Beyond.  One episode in, and I barely know who the main characters are.  I don't know how they survived.  They seem extremely pampered, naive, and kinda uninteresting.  I don't really know who these people are or what they want, except for one guy, but he practically grabs the camera and talks directly to the audience so I dunno if that counts.

I only have the haziest idea what their neck of the woods is like, and that's mostly delivered by exposition dumps.

And finally, they do this green actor thing that really annoys me - a monotone delivery of some pretty emotional lines.  Just utterly kills any excitement.  I half expect someone on that to get stabbed and say "Oh no, you killed me" like they just dropped their can of soda.  I'd almost prefer them to chew on the scenery a little bit than that.  Just whatever you do, don't make the apocalypse boring.

I won't say this show is awful, but it's not good.  5.5/10, maybe.  It's just so painfully mediocre - which is not a good first impression.  I'll give it a few more episodes, then I'll give you guys my final verdict.
I love to read novels that deal with the apocalypse.  Generally, I have found movies/tv shows disappointing.  But I watched a couple of these shows hoping for something good.  I find the premise good--the acting and writing no so much.  Not waste anymore time with it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

The Mandalorian season 2!!!  This show is without a doubt, the finest Star Wars put on screen in the past 30 years.  Change my mind.  I have spoken.

It's the gritty sci-fi western that no one knew they needed.  It has action and character and world-building galore.  And its cinematic style is like pure eye candy.  And even though it doesn't beat you over the head with it, there's a very good message underneath all that beskar armor.

The season premier is practically stand alone, so it's newbie-friendly.  Go watch it and let me know what you think!

Hydra009

I had to abandon TWD: World Beyond because it was written so poorly.  The actors were okay for the most part, but their dialogue and scenes were awful.

There was a scene where a henchman is getting second thoughts and naturally, informs the Big Bad directly.  She responds by turning on every appliance in her apartment (making an awful racket) then explains to him during said racket (CC ftw) that they're high-tech (he already knows) therefore they can and should do horrible things to keep that afloat (bad logic).  Then they sit down and have soup.  No idea why.  Then the henchman is arrested.

That scene could have been written so much better.  The henchman could be a little more cagey and is about to make a move, but he eventually gets found out and immediately arrested.  The Big Bad could have a much better speech.  The Big Bad could show him how bad things were before - maybe a burned down part of town, a big graveyard, a nasty scar, etc.  Almost anything else would have been better.

And second, there's a scene where the protagonists - pressed for time and dwindling resources - comes across a dock and decides to build a boat.  None of these people are handy.  None of these people know anything about boats.  Supplies are ramshackle at best and they have almost no tools.  Now, I could believe they made a 2-person canoe over the course of a couple days.  But no, they make a gas-powered barge from a box of scraps in a day.  Unless they had Tony Stark on the team, I don't see how that's possible.

And they also do this annoying thing where characters have side conversations away from the main group while they're only like 2 feet away (0.6 meters) from the main group.  Unless they're deaf, they can hear you.

Just so much unrealism in a setting that depends heavily on a certain amount of realism.  And not particularly interesting either.  It amazes me how little actually happens in a single episode.  This series is padded AF.

Do not recommend.

Blackleaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el_PChGfJN8

This dropped on Halloween. Also, if you haven't seen the pilot, watch that first, because this is basically episode 2, even though it's labeled as episode 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlahNrlcgS4
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 05, 2020, 11:04:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el_PChGfJN8

This dropped on Halloween. Also, if you haven't seen the pilot, watch that first, because this is basically episode 2, even though it's labeled as episode 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlahNrlcgS4
What the fuck did I just watch...?

...and where do I find more episodes?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Youtube at Vivziepop's channel and you can't.  At least not for a while.  It's been picked up and a lot of work has been done on the first 8 episodes, so there's 7 more episodes coming soon(ish).  It's been a year from the pilot to the first episode, but I predict a significantly quicker release schedule from here on out.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 05, 2020, 11:31:25 PM
Youtube at Vivziepop's channel and you can't.  At least not for a while.  It's been picked up and at lot of work has been done on the first 8 episodes, so there's 7 more episodes coming soon(ish).  It's been a year from the pilot to the first episode, but I predict a significantly quicker schedule from here on out.
(subscribes)  That was the most perfectly demented thing I've seen in a long time.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on November 05, 2020, 11:37:38 PM(subscribes)  That was the most perfectly demented thing I've seen in a long time.  :D
I know, right?  Helluva Boss is literally my favorite show, a true spiritual successor to Invader Zim.

Though I have to wonder about the usefulness of I.M.P. killing people.  They either go to heaven (not yet confirmed) or hell to live their unlife with the one who put out a successful hit on them.  Either way, it seems like it's scant consolation for the person perpetrating the hit (the new arrival would likely be hostile to both the person who put the hit out and the hired guns), though episode 1 has shown some circumstances where it could be a desirable.

In more skilled hands, I.M.P. could be an extremely potent weapon.  They could very selectively corrupt and kill specific mortals of extreme importance, ensuring that their talents wind up in hell to be harnessed for further schemes.  This could effectively change the balance of power in hell.  It goes without saying that I.M.P. could also change the balance of power in the mortal world through select assassinations as well, particularly ones that diminish the power of religious organizations or cause massive human fatalities (Stolas had the right idea there)