News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: trdsf on September 23, 2020, 07:13:45 PM
Good Eats Reloaded on Hulu, which is a lead-in for an upcoming new series of Good Eats.  I do love me some Alton Brown.

That used to be the only show I'd watch on Food Network. I hate all these cooking competitions with their forced drama. 99% of it is fake, just like all other "reality TV" shows. They always happen to finish as the last second. They supposedly make up a dish on the spot, with no hesitation, no preparation, they have no issues finding the specific ingredients they need (guess they have a pantry from the Harry Potter universe, which magics things they want into existence), and have to drastically change their plans in the middle of them cooking when the announcers add some weird instructions they all have to follow. Oh, yeah, and they always somehow find time to interview people every couple of minutes, despite the time limit being super tight. I remember in one of these shows, they had kids competing, and they had the kids randomly pick ingredients they'd have to incorporate into their dish. This Japanese kid just happens to pick wontons. Give me a break. They clearly walked in with those, and the producers were like, "Okay, hide them under a bowl and pretend you've never seen them before." Shows like these feel like they're insulting my intelligence, expecting me to believe it's real.

Good Eats, on the other hand, is like the Bill Nye of food. He doesn't just cook stuff, but he explains the science of why things work the way they do, and he throws in historical trivia. I always found that stuff super interesting, and it's all presented in an entertaining way. Also, it has become a tradition for me to bake his fruit cake every Christmas season. My parents in particular really like it. It's made with dried fruits that are rehydrated in golden rum.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 23, 2020, 11:44:41 PM
That used to be the only show I'd watch on Food Network. I hate all these cooking competitions with their forced drama. 99% of it is fake, just like all other "reality TV" shows. They always happen to finish as the last second. They supposedly make up a dish on the spot, with no hesitation, no preparation, they have no issues finding the specific ingredients they need (guess they have a pantry from the Harry Potter universe, which magics things they want into existence), and have to drastically change their plans in the middle of them cooking when the announcers add some weird instructions they all have to follow. Oh, yeah, and they always somehow find time to interview people every couple of minutes, despite the time limit being super tight. I remember in one of these shows, they had kids competing, and they had the kids randomly pick ingredients they'd have to incorporate into their dish. This Japanese kid just happens to pick wontons. Give me a break. They clearly walked in with those, and the producers were like, "Okay, hide them under a bowl and pretend you've never seen them before." Shows like these feel like they're insulting my intelligence, expecting me to believe it's real.

Good Eats, on the other hand, is like the Bill Nye of food. He doesn't just cook stuff, but he explains the science of why things work the way they do, and he throws in historical trivia. I always found that stuff super interesting, and it's all presented in an entertaining way. Also, it has become a tradition for me to bake his fruit cake every Christmas season. My parents in particular really like it. It's made with dried fruits that are rehydrated in golden rum.

Reloaded is taking some of the original episodes, and explaining things that were left unclear due to time constraints, or just flat admitting he was wrong about something and/or has completely changed his technique.  And it's just as much fun as the original series was.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

I have an ongoing theory that the french guy in The Boys is not actually french in the slightest.  At least, not a native speaker, which calls into question his alleged childhood in France.  My latest evidence:

"He look familiar to you?"
"Je ne sais pas"

Sais = a conjugation of savoir (to know), so it makes literal sense to english speakers.  However, when a french speaker talks about knowing a person, they would almost certainly use connaître (to know of, to be familiar with).

Savoir is more like knowing facts (knowing how to swim, knowing karate, etc), connaître is more like "knowing"/familiarity with people and places (I know my neighbor, I know this city, etc).  Very similar words, but not quite the same.

Imho, the character is an imposter.  Très sus.

But hey, that's just a theory.  A TV theory.  ...and cut!

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 27, 2020, 12:22:43 AM
I have an ongoing theory that the french guy in The Boys is not actually french in the slightest.  At least, not a native speaker, which calls into question his alleged childhood in France.  My latest evidence:

"Je ne sais pas"

Sais = a conjugation of savoir (to know), so it makes literal sense to english speakers.  However, when a french speaker talks about knowing a person, they would almost certainly use connaître (to know of, to be familiar with).

Savoir is more like knowing facts (knowing how to swim, knowing karate, etc), connaître is more like "knowing"/familiarity with people and places (I know my neighbor, I know this city, etc).  Very similar words, but not quite the same.

It could be just daily, street talk or maybe used to show his social class in fiction? It's the same in my tongue. The verb 'to know' is not used for people, it is incorrect but people do speak like that. You could say 'I don't know anything about him.' But you don't say 'I don't know him'. It sounds silly. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

Close Enough. Animation. I like it so far.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 03, 2020, 05:48:32 PM
Season 2 of Primal starts tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgucEUwQgcc

When I saw that, I thought somebody was making fun of Tarkovsky and I was going to cheer, lol. Getting old.

Hydra009

I just caught The Boys season 2 finale.  I felt so many emotions!  I've never watched a TV show and cackled from schadenfreude one moment, get gutpunched the next, and finally feel genuinely happy (that's the word right, "happy"?  That lesser-known third and final emotion after anger and sadness)

Blackleaf

Apparently, Primal is still on Season 1. I don't get how seasons are numbered. What determines what is the end of one season and the beginning of the next? You'd think a pretty lengthy break in production would constitute a shift in seasons, but no. Some shows have no breaks in between, but they still split that time into seasons. I don't get it.
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

I finally got around to watch The Boys series. I'm in first season, ep 5. I loved it so far. I didn't expect that honestly. Finally, a realistic superhero show in a realistic world. 

I'm going to marry Billy when I grow up and Homelander is one of the scariest, creepist villain I've ever seen. *Shudders.

"Good talk, think about it. I'm here all day, all right?" Lololol.

GSOgymrat

I know I'm way late to the party but we finally got around to watching The Haunting of Hill House. Horror is one of my least favorite genres but this series was one of the best supernatural dramas I have ever seen. I was completely invested the entire time. There is a ghost of a tall floating man who ambulates with a cane that creeped me out in a primal way that I can't recall experiencing since I was a child.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 20, 2020, 01:02:58 PM
I know I'm way late to the party but we finally got around to watching The Haunting of Hill House. Horror is one of my least favorite genres but this series was one of the best supernatural dramas I have ever seen. I was completely invested the entire time. There is a ghost of a tall floating man who ambulates with a cane that creeped me out in a primal way that I can't recall experiencing since I was a child.
QuoteThe Haunting anthology series. It is loosely based on the 1959 novel of the same name by Shirley Jackson.
Shirley Jackson???  Of The Lottery??  You've got my attention.

Blackleaf

--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 27, 2020, 12:22:43 AM

"Je ne sais pas"

Honestly, je ne sais pas Is à valid response.
Yeah, he could say, non je ne connais pas lui. Or any other number of responses, depending on the situation. Like, 'Qui, ce homme ? Comment je peux connaiser lui ? Je n' ai jamais vu lui.' or 'je n' ai pas déjà rencontré ce garçon.'

Might not be the most standard response, but it' s valid.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

drunkenshoe

Is it me or does he sound Algerian-French? I mean the character.