News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 28, 2020, 02:08:03 PM
Seems like you can't enjoy anything these days without someone heavily involved trying to groom fans.

Yep. Just 3-4 days ago one of my favorite producers (who has had a questionable history with women in the past) had a slew of allegations come forth again, this time both more credible and more serious. These allegations also come from a tour with a DJ who was destroyed a few years ago for drugging and raping multiple women.

I wonder if getting rid of "celebrity culture" might go a long way towards fixing this problem, or if even without all that shit going to their heads most would still abuse their positions to exploit people. In Space Jesus's case, I know he has a pretty long history of drug abuse which I know doesn't help, but I feel like a lot of these abusers don't even have that "excuse".
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

Fame and money often amplify people's vices, including coercing people to have sex.

https://youtu.be/btAbU1sPqIM

drunkenshoe

I can't handle Final Space. It feels like OK... then it doesn't happen. 

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Sal1981

Quote from: GSOgymrat on June 28, 2020, 03:35:01 PM
Fame and money often amplify people's vices, including coercing people to have sex.

https://youtu.be/btAbU1sPqIM

The reporter probably thought he would say something mundane like buy a house or something.

Blackleaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aILPL0-XjL8

Why, Butch? Why? I thought you were cool. Turns out, you're a piece of shit.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

I never realized how spoiled I was with Star Trek DS9 until now.

*responding to an unknown vessel's distress call*

Next Gen:  *talks about it for 5 minutes before doing anything*

Picard (assuming they even have a ship):  *initially ignored because a crewmember is tripping balls*  One of the two sane people on board assess the situation, but quickly get into an argument about it.  "It's too risky.  They could be szavash-neshi!"

DS9:  "It could be a trap.  Worf, Odo, you're with me." - Sisko.  *in 10 seconds, there's an away team assembled and armed with phaser rifles*

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 18, 2020, 07:26:59 PM
I never realized how spoiled I was with Star Trek DS9 until now.

*responding to an unknown vessel's distress call*

Next Gen:  *talks about it for 5 minutes before doing anything*

Picard (assuming they even have a ship):  *initially ignored because a crewmember is tripping balls*  One of the two sane people on board assess the situation, but quickly get into an argument about it.  "It's too risky.  They could be szavash-neshi!"

DS9:  "It could be a trap.  Worf, Odo, you're with me." - Sisko.  *in 10 seconds, there's an away team assembled and armed with phaser rifles*

So basically DS9 is TOS...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Sal1981

Finished watching 3rd season of Dark.

I found it quite convoluted, and I had a hard time following the details. The main story arch, yes, but names in the different timelines apart from the main characters I kept forgetting. I'll probably watch all 3 seasons again later some time down the line, because there are so many layers in the story telling, and revisiting the story will probably make me appreciate the intricacies of the cinematography in Dark and I'll hopefully follow the details of the story better.

GSOgymrat

Unorthadox was interesting and may appeal to people who have left religion. Some very good acting.

https://youtu.be/-zVhRId0BTw

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 01, 2020, 06:47:17 AM
Unorthadox was interesting and may appeal to people who have left religion. Some very good acting.

Is it depressing?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Watching the second season of the Umbrella Academy. LOL, I don't know the comics but it seems going pretty wild. Can someone confirm later if it is accurate or not?

Hydra009

I've finished RWBY and decided to check out Gen;Lock - a military scifi series with mecha.  It's basically Supreme Commander mixed with Gundam, animated in the RWBY artstyle.  I can't explain it any better than that.

While it does have a pretty basic plotline and not every character really gets fleshed out, there are a handful of characters who get a LOT of development in a short time and some truly epic moments.

The series only has 8 episodes (roughly 4 hours total), so it feels more like a miniseries than a show - there's not a whole lot of screen time, so it has to keep a snappy pace but because of that, some stuff feels rushed and not developed enough imo.

The plotline is nothing to write home about - it's pretty basic Federation VS Zeon stuff.  Nameless and faceless (for the most part) bad guys.  It's not even explained in the show why they're fighting or the extent of their territory, which is a big no-no imho.  But both sides have very distinct technology that looks cool af, so that's a plus.  And while the overall plot is pretty basic and suffers the occasional odd plot contrivance, there are some nice twists and turns from episode to episode to keep you on your feet.

Final verdict: 8/10 and a badass seal of approval.  It's not super complex, but it is engrossing and entertaining as hell.  Ooh, what I wouldn't give to get a seat in a strider!

drunkenshoe

One of the side stories in the Umbrella Academy will trigger a lot of people. Obviously, they had no idea what was to come while shooting it... It's good though. Better than the first season for sure. 

GSOgymrat

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 01, 2020, 10:12:52 AM
Is it depressing?

No, more inspirational. It was educational for me because I don't know much about the daily experience of ultra-orthadox Jews. This sect was founded in the United States almost entirely by Holocaust survivors. It is interesting to see how that shared trauma influences this insular community. For example, having as many children as possible is a priority because they are trying to replace the six million Jews who died.

SGOS

I haven't watched Firefly for years.  It's been long enough that I barely remember the stories.  I just finished the second episode, and it actually seems better than ever.   I thought it was great the first time around, but now... holy crap, this is fun.  A series this good doesn't come around all that often.  Spaceships, cowboys, horses, and cattle.  Why does this even work when Cowboys and Aliens didn't do all that well?  You can't put cowboys and space ships together?  I guess depends on who does it.