News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Timeless is a TV series that didn't quite make it.  It was cancelled after the first year, which caused a huge outcry from fans, so it was reinstated, but cancelled again after the second year, which caused another outcry.  Almost as if NBC gave a shit about it's fans, NBC did two more episodes that creates a conclusion.  (Remember Firefly?)  I've been renting disks from Netflix, but the two episode conclusion is not available, but is available to buy at a few places.  It comes as part of the second season, although it was hard for me to understand if that's exactly what I'm getting.  The disks are arriving tomorrow from Best Buy.  I don't really need the whole second season, as I've already seen it.  But I want to see how it ends.

I like the series, although I didn't right away.  Time travelers constantly go back in time to prevent some new world order from changing events so that they will have global control of the whole planet, but the events that need to be corrected are sometimes trivial, and it's never clear what the "butterfly effect" will be from changing them.  That may be the major fault with the series, and why it's ratings were not high enough for NBC.  I'm hoping, but not expecting this to be taken care of in the conclusion.

But the travels into the past, outside of that main fault are fun.  My favorite was the Chicago World's Fair, where they encountered a not yet famous Houdini, who looked like a magician who's career wasn't going anywhere, and wasn't really expecting to either.  That one was a hoot.  They recruit a reluctant Houdini, who ends up saving the day.  Without spoiling anything, imagine how helpful it would be to have Houdini in a tight spot.  The writers milked that situation for all it was worth.

The historical settings seem quite authentic, and I may have learned a few things too, if indeed some of those events happened as they did in series.

Hydra009

I've been meaning to give RWBY a shot for years, but I never really had the time.  Well, I have the time now.

And I've gotta say, it has really grown on me.  The basic premise of teens training in a martial arts academy to fight monsters *coughSoulEatercough* - teen me would gone nuts over it!  The characters are decent, the plotline is a bit thin, but the visual gags and adorable voice acting more than make up for it.  Plus, the action scenes are actually really good.

Initially, I didn't particularly like the animation style - it felt almost as blocky as Reboot and that show was animated on a pentium.  Characters don't seem to completely make contact when holding objects (particularly glaring was when Dumbledore poured some tea) and I have the odd impression that none of the characters knows what to do with their hands.

But like I said, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Someone on here once asked if RWBY could be considered an anime, since it doesn't originate from Japan.  Allow me to settle the argument: it absolutely is an anime.  Anime eyes, anime mannerisms, etc.  If it quacks like a duck...  Plus, it displays the signature flaw of modern anime - changing its perfectly good intro theme song for another song that is objectively not as good.  Change for change's sake.  S1 intro for life!

The show has a very strange use of color - all the main characters and most characters in general are mostly red, black, or white.  (Yang's yellow and orange accents really pop out because of that)

It's like the animators just used the top half of the color palette.  I dunno if that's a good or a bad thing.  Maybe it's so the main group stands out in a crowd, but crowds are often gray or white or brownish, as is the background.  The characters don't disappear, but they don't really stand out, either.  Personally, I could go for more cool colors - blue or purple or green!

SGOS

The first thing I noticed about those characters above was something unusual about their colors.

drunkenshoe

Maybe they are made for people with certain kind of visual impairings?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

This is kind of an extreme example (it's not usually quite this bland), but this is what I'm talking about:

What's so weird about this is the fanart is so vibrant and colorful!  The actual show is kinda muted in comparison.  Sometimes, it's gray-on-gray or white-on-gray.  Mostly, it's kinda red-black-white on gray.  Maybe there's some sort of symbolic reason for it that I'm just not picking up on.

Hydra009

And while I'm on the subject, both Bofuri and Rwby have very amiable, kind protagonists decked out in red and black.  Typically, red-black are major villain colors.  Over the years, it has gotten to the point that when I see someone decked out in red and black, I automatically think they're villainous, though I suppose there are exceptions.

Blackleaf

Somebody told me the creator of RWBY died, and they continued the series without him. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 18, 2020, 07:25:06 PMSomebody told me the creator of RWBY died, and they continued the series without him. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Severe allergic reaction in 2015.  Generally, I think the show must go on, even if the creator bites it.  They're a team effort and don't entirely rest of anyone's shoulders.  The only times I think the towel should be thrown in is if the fan reception is not good enough or if there's not enough budget to continue or if there's so much executive meddling that the integrity of the show is irreparably compromised.  But as long as people like it, you can afford to produce it, and it's still the story you want to tell, go for it.

Sal1981

Finally watched both seasons of Final Space. For an animated show with so much silliness, it sure knows how to pull on the emotional strings. 7/10

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on June 21, 2020, 11:54:52 AM
Finally watched both seasons of Final Space. For an animated show with so much silliness, it sure knows how to pull on the emotional strings. 7/10
I know, right?  My brother loves the first season, but doesn't much care for the second.  I liked the first season, but I friggin' love the second season.  Season 1: 8/10.  Season 2: 9/10.

The first season had a very clear focus on Gary, a whole lot of heartache, and painted such an epic showdown that imo they must've thought they'd only get one season.  Because most shows don't go as balls to the wall during the first season as Final Space

The second season got more... comic-booky.  It reminded me a lot of Guardians of the Galaxy.  But it built up a hell of a supporting cast and did a ton of worldbuilding.  As a result, the focus was a lot more spread out, perhaps too spread out, and more formulatic - what with the overarching MacGuffin plot.  There were still some damn good character moments with Gary and Nightfall and Gary's mom and Little Cato.  Gary's mom really stole the show.  Every scene she's in is gold.  Todd H. Watson really made a splash, too.  But imho, Gary's mom is the winner.

I love this show.  I can't wait for season 3!  It's coming sometime 2021.

Hydra009

I'm absolutely floored by RWBY season 3.  They really ramped up the villains in a huge way.  Jeez, who directed that season, Quentin Tarantino?  It got dark in a hurry.  Like midnight dark.

Before, the villains seemed kinda foppish and threatening, but not too threatening.  I mean, this is still a show aimed at young adults.  Nothing all that bad is going to happen, right?  :O

In seasons 1-2, the show was alright, but I could take it or leave it.  Now, I'm super invested.

P.S. - they use more blue this season!  Huzzah!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 25, 2020, 08:32:57 PM
Jeez, who directed that season, Quentin Tarantino?

Uh-oh. He's back.

--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Seriously.  That season made my stomach churn.  I haven't been legit scared for the protagonists in a show for a very long time, probably the early seasons of Game of Thrones.

Shiranu

Cas Anvar, who plays one of my favorite characters in the Expanse, might have just killed the show.

Multiple allegations of sexual harassment and stalking, both during his time with the Expanse and Assassin's Creed, as well as some of them being underage I believe.

God damn it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on June 28, 2020, 12:19:40 PM
Cas Anvar, who plays one of my favorite characters in the Expanse, might have just killed the show.

Multiple allegations of sexual harassment and stalking, both during his time with the Expanse and Assassin's Creed, as well as some of them being underage I believe.

God damn it.

Seems like you can't enjoy anything these days without someone heavily involved trying to groom fans.
--Fulke Greville--