News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Hey if your looking of a strong female DC character to follow in such absence, might I recommend the new animated Harley Quinn series? At least she has a reason to hate most men given what her ex did to her.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GSOgymrat

I didn't even know there was a Batwoman TV show. Sounds like I wasn't missing much.

Sal1981

Ricky Gervais' After Life is an emotional rollercoaster ride.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 17, 2020, 11:27:04 AM
Netflix's Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency season 2 sort of ended on a cliffhanger, but there will be no season 3 sadly. I kinda liked the whole reality-bending spin. - 9/10 very entertaining.

It is a wildly entertaining series. Super.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

GSOgymrat

We finally got around to seeing Our Planet. The wildlife photography is amazing. It's profoundly sad that these ecosystems are collapsing and many of these creatures will soon be extinct.

https://youtu.be/aETNYyrqNYE

SGOS

I'm watching Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, released in 1993.  It may be the first attempt to make money after the Steve Reeves series of my youth.  The special affects are 1950ish, even sub par for 1993, and the plots, acting, and direction are maybe a hair better than the original series, or maybe about the same.  I assume it depicts the 1940s or 1950s because Perry White is still in charge of the Daily Planet.  It's corny as Hell, but I'm liking it.  After all, it is Superman.  But while it's 1950ish feel is OK, they are writing copy on computers at the Daily Planet.  OK they are the big clunky monitors showing DOS commands on the screen, so it does seem antique, but still jarring.  If it wasn't about Superman, I wouldn't bother.  It's Superman in a cheesy romantic comedy.  I'm not sure there is a genre for this that has a name.  Enjoyably weird with one weird thumb up. 

Sal1981

I've watched the pilot of Locke & Key, on Netflix.

It's interesting. I'll watch more episodes to see what shenanigans the author comes up with with the magical keys.

LoriPinkAngel

We are watching "What We Do In the Shadows."  It is a hilarious comedy about modern day vampires and their daily lives.

Sal1981

Quote from: LoriPinkAngel on May 30, 2020, 06:22:17 PM
We are watching "What We Do In the Shadows."  It is a hilarious comedy about modern day vampires and their daily lives.
Yeah, I've watched the first episode of that on HBO.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 12, 2020, 03:30:43 PM
I watched Hollywood on Netflix and finished feeling a bit disappointed. The series is a star-studded 1940's Hollywood fantasy of what would happen if a Jewish woman could be a studio executive, a black man could write a major motion picture, an interracial couple could lead that picture, and gay men could be open about their relationships. It's very entertaining as a sexy, campy drama but when it tries to draw from historical events, harsh history makes the fantasy story feel like it is trivializing what real people actually experienced. It includes famous people but usually only as touchstones to reinforce the message of inclusion. Rock Hudson is a major character but he's so retconned that I found it distracting. I enjoyed the series as a wish-fulfillment fantasy but it made me yearn for a documentary. I wonder if young views even understand how fanciful this story is, that these 1940's characters have 2020 sensibilities.

[spoiler]GSO, I think those series are telling stories that could have come true but obviously didn't and then give them a 'Hollywood Ending'. (The last ep. is called Hollywood Ending) As how it would end in a series or a movie. Like saying 'yeah all these happened in some ways but none of it ended good or at least the way we'd like it but via fantasy.

If you look into it, some characters and events are real, but combined or mixed in different ways. For example, the name is of a real actor but that is not Rock Hudson's life. Bowers? what was his name...he did have a prostitution ring in a petrol station but he didn't stop it or let people go to make their dreams come true or support a movie. He died very old, a few years ago by the way. He knew about too much dirty laundry of too famous people. Imagine the power that man had. Nothing good could come out from that. I think he wrote a couple of books. Things like that...So it gives that weird fantasy-clashing-documentary taste. Also they keep trivialising everything in telling, making it lighter on purpose because they are afraid young people will get bored or won't get it. They succeeded. Now they are stupid as soup and they don't get bored of anything and watch the same thing over and over again.

They can't do a real, documentary kind of series -or movies- about that period, those lives from those specific aspects. That would be too many skeletons in long gone and buried closets and criminal acts if you ask me. And they would become very alive when done. A lot of descendants and families would sue the hell out of movie studios too. Not to mention it would take 20 seasons, 2 hours an ep. [/spoiler]
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on June 03, 2020, 04:30:36 PM
https://tvline.com/2020/06/03/batwoman-season-2-kate-kane-gone-new-character-added/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eaIyvfRYef8

Jesus Christ. This sounds like a goddamn train wreck. I'm tempted to start watching this show, just so I can bear witness to the convoluted bullshit they come up with to justify replacing the main character with a totally different character between seasons. This has the potential to be so bad, it's good.

One thing I will say, though, is that I like the new actress's look better. I know the Batwoman of the comics has red hair, but when I see a woman dressed in a bat costume with long red hair coming out the back of her mask, I think of Batgirl, not Batwoman. This new actress looks more like a genderbent Bruce Wayne.

BTW, if they were putting this in the same universe as Supergirl, why didn't they go with Batgirl? She's a much more recognizable character than Batwoman.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 29, 2020, 12:06:26 PM
I've watched the pilot of Locke & Key, on Netflix.

It's interesting. I'll watch more episodes to see what shenanigans the author comes up with with the magical keys.
Good.  Let me know what you think.  I've watched both the Netflix series and read the comic series it's based on.  So if you have any questions, ask away!

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 03, 2020, 08:45:37 PM
Jesus Christ. This sounds like a goddamn train wreck. I'm tempted to start watching this show, just so I can bear witness to the convoluted bullshit they come up with to justify replacing the main character with a totally different character between seasons. This has the potential to be so bad, it's good.

One thing I will say, though, is that I like the new actress's look better. I know the Batwoman of the comics has red hair, but when I see a woman dressed in a bat costume with long red hair coming out the back of her mask, I think of Batgirl, not Batwoman. This new actress looks more like a genderbent Bruce Wayne.

BTW, if they were putting this in the same universe as Supergirl, why didn't they go with Batgirl? She's a much more recognizable character than Batwoman.
Meh, replacing actors is nothing new.  Dick Sargent replaced Dick York on Bewitched, Jonah Ray replaced Mike Nelson replaced Joel Hodgson on MST3K, Eartha Kitt replaced Lee Meriwether replaced Julie Newmar on Batman, Jodie Whitaker replaced Peter Capaldi replaced Matt Smith replaced David Tennant replaced Christopher Eccleston replaced Paul McGann replaced Sylvester McCoy replaced Colin Baker replaced Peter Davison replaced Tom Baker replaced Jon Pertwee replaced Patrick Troughton replaced William Hartnell on Doctor Who.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

aitm

I started watching the old deadwood series. The plot itself is so-so. Plenty of bloodshed and boobs, but I truly enjoy listening to many of the characters talk. Lord how I wish they actually talked that way amongst the slightly higher than common folk. They sound like 18th century English professors using the full dictionary at their disposal. Sometimes...okay many times I even get confused as to what they are saying. Makes me smile.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust