News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on February 17, 2020, 09:59:52 AM
I had no idea Planet of the Apes was from Asimov.
It's not.  Mike was taking more broadly about classic stories that he perceives to be poorly adapted.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on February 17, 2020, 09:59:52 AM
I had no idea Planet of the Apes was from Asimov.  Now I've got to read the actual story, because I want to know what the movie was actually supposed to be. A few years ago, a theater which occasionally shows an old classic, did the 1st Planet of the Apes.  It's the only special showing that I ever went to, even though I own the disk.  It's dated for sure, but I still think it's an important film.  But it wouldn't be the first time Hollywood demolished a story.
Ooops----did not mean to imply that Planet of the Apes was by Asimov--it was written by Pierre Boulle.  My point was hollywood took a great book with a powerful, yet simple story.  They added a dumb ending when the book ending would have been much more powerful.  The book really is a small book and I bet if you started reading early, one could easily finish it in a day.  The same with I Am Legend--maybe even more so.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

After watching more Star Trek Picard, I'm amazed at the number of people who live out their golden years surrounded by archaic technology.  I thought that Star Trek just had a few people enamored with ye olden days, but instead its a veritable epidemic of renaissance fair fever.  Bridge to sickbay, medical emergency!

This would be like me and half of you guys retiring from our jobs to literally live in caves, spearfish, and write scrolls.  Clearly, in the future, advanced technology must be truly horrifying to engender such a love of the past.

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLq4gUGhgXo

the funny part is, the way the BBC responds to the hate fans are giving them over this, sounds exactly the same flatlined response blizzard gave its fans in their recent turmoil, just a flat, robotic response without giving any real acknowledgment of their failings.

Its funny how big companies like blizzard and the bbc are so disconnected from the fans who rose their products into such heights, meanwhile you have people like the producers of the sonic movie who actually listened to fan criticism going back and fixing their mistakes, which ended up making them millions in box office. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 05, 2020, 09:24:48 PM
After watching more Star Trek Picard, I'm amazed at the number of people who live out their golden years surrounded by archaic technology.  I thought that Star Trek just had a few people enamored with ye olden days, but instead its a veritable epidemic of renaissance fair fever.  Bridge to sickbay, medical emergency!

Can't blame them, electronic technology is obnoxious enough as it is today and proven to be bad for you... cant imagine what it must be like in their time.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on March 11, 2020, 04:10:13 PM
Can't blame them, electronic technology is obnoxious enough as it is today and proven to be bad for you... cant imagine what it must be like in their time.
In the 24th century, they figured out a good work/life balance (no warp driving while texting), plus no profit motive, which cuts down on like 90% of the obnoxiousness.

At the very least, I'd love to see a retired Starfleet officer using a VR headset or on a holodeck.  I'd also love to see a civilian taking part in one of The Doctor's holonovels.  That'd be solid.  (Problematic wordplay unintended)

Sal1981

Westworld season 3 began yesterday.

It's some of the  same shenanigans from the previous season and [spoiler]Memento style storytelling[/spoiler].

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 17, 2020, 03:27:28 AM
Westworld season 3 began yesterday.
Indeed it did.  I'm still processing it.  Suffice it to say that I like the new direction this show has taken.  But there are things in this show that (deliberately) don't quite make sense and I have a theory about that...

Shiranu

Second season of Altered Carbon was really good, but I have to be honest... I need to re-watch the first season, because I clearly forgot alot.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 01, 2020, 07:55:20 PM
New episodes of Rick and Morty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPDqQDTnJKE

Thank god.

Thinking about that, I've gone back and started re-watching Community, Dan Harmon's original baby... fuck me, it's so good.

Honestly I would put it above R&M, though they are both amazing.

GSOgymrat

We are halfway through Tiger King and totally engrossed. I lived on an exotic animal farm for two and a half years, so some of this stuff is like going back to when I was 20, including the gay three-way romance and the unsolved murder.

https://youtu.be/acTdxsoa428

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrTVaaDD8BI

To anyone considering watching Star Trek Picard during the quarantine.  Please don't.

I gave it a fair shake - not just the three-episode trial run, but the whole first season.  I will not watch another episode of this show and probably not a new episode of Trek ever again.

ST:Picard is visually stunning and the plot seems intriguing, but the sad reality is that the plot is hot garbage littered with cheap nostalgia, absolute nonsense, and the most godawful characters I've ever seen in Trek (Neelix would be a welcome reprieve at this point).  I have literally read fanfics that were better than this.

If you need a Trek fix, do yourself a favor and watch The Orville.

GSOgymrat

The Pale Horse is one of my favorites of Agatha Christie's many mysteries. I was looking forward to the BBC version but they changed the story far too much for my taste.

https://youtu.be/L7fGhHzRGG4

The remake of And Then There Were None was much better.

https://youtu.be/HfFqHONPUa0

trdsf

I generally look askance at most book adaptations -- the number of times it's been done wrong vastly outnumbers the number of times it's been done right.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan