News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Finally watched true detective, season 1.
Amazing stuff.
Is season 2 worth it? Heard good things about s3.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

So, I just watched the Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss pilots.  On repeat.  For the last 3 days.

This is the most demented cartoon series I've ever seen.

...I LOVE IT!

Before I get too far into this, this stuff would be rated R if it were on TV, so I can't in good conscience post the trailer here because then an impressionable young mind could be exposed to the full glory of hell's delights.  And that would be wrong.

Buuuut...I can talk about the show and subtly imply that the trailer is easily googleable and readily accessible.  And if anyone were to do exactly that, well then I would have plausible deniability.  I can't possibly be held accountable for what other people searched for of their own free will.  *devious grin*

Do you like bright, colorful palettes, musical numbers, and Bill Cipher?  Then you'll love Hazbin Hotel.

Do you like The Office, antiheroes, "quirky" humor, and insane amounts of senseless violence?  Like, I'm talking so much violence that the FBI guy watching you in the poorly-concealed FBI van watches your computer screen in abject horror?  Then you'll love Helluva Boss.

In summation:  Hazbin Hotel is like Stephen Universe for Edgelords.  And I'm pretty sure Helluva Boss is the vehicle by which Invader Zim fans are converted into furries.  (It has the same voiceactor who did ZIM)  A small price to pay for salvation.

And did I mention that both shows are set in hell (they're even in a shared universe!)  Catch a glimpse of hell now, because yanno, we're all going there sooner or later!

Munch

Yeah I saw the pilot too, was very funny and had so much energy to it. The voice acting is top notch, the animation was pretty good too, not the kind of style I'm drawn too but it's so nice seeing a new traditional animated feature with all the shit cgi out there.
Angel dust made he burst out laughing on several occasions

Only problem I see going forward with these two shows is, because they were independently made by a small team, and it took them this long to release pilot episodes, then it's obvious this need a lot more support and an animation team to get new episodes out, and they are trying to avoid selling their works to big corporations that would mandate their work for them. So I dunno how their going to make series out of these. You mention Steven universe, well they outsource their episodes to South Korea I think.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on December 04, 2019, 05:46:32 AMYeah I saw the pilot too, was very funny and had so much energy to it. The voice acting is top notch, the animation was pretty good too, not the kind of style I'm drawn too but it's so nice seeing a new traditional animated feature with all the shit cgi out there.
I love the zany character designs.  The characters remind me a lot of the nightmare monsters from the Invader Zim episode, Halloween Spectacular of Spooky Doom.  And I freaking love that episode.

QuoteAngel dust made he burst out laughing on several occasions
Me, too.  And I'm tempted to call a close friend and quote verbatim the telephone scene with Stolas from Helluva boss.  I was pretty stone-faced until that scene, then I couldn't stop laughing.

QuoteOnly problem I see going forward with these two shows is, because they were independently made by a small team, and it took them this long to release pilot episodes, then it's obvious this need a lot more support and an animation team to get new episodes out, and they are trying to avoid selling their works to big corporations that would mandate their work for them. So I dunno how their going to make series out of these.
Adult swim?  I mean, with their numbers and demographic, it seems like a good fit.  But yeah, the production time looks like a huge issue.

QuoteYou mention Steven universe, well they outsource their episodes to South Korea I think.
I only bring it up to say that these shows could be equally popular, albeit among a *very* different fanbase.

Sal1981

I've watched 4 episodes of "After Life" by Ricky Gervais on Netflix.

Good, but quite dark.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 30, 2019, 06:22:27 AM
The show is essentially a spaghetti western set in space. 

And the look and feel is directly inspired by Mos Eisley cantina and the rest of the first half of A New Hope.

If that's not what you're into, you probably won't like it.  But if that appeals to you, then you'll probably like it a lot.

Sounds exactly like something I would love then. Westerns (and their Japanese counterpart Samurai movies) and sci-fi are the two things I grew up on, and Star Wars is my favorite franchise. They remind me of home and my childhood, so if nothing else I'll be wearing nostalgia glasses watching it.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUtLTxBYZHw&app=desktop&persist_app=1

Context. Batman the animated series back in the 90s. In my mind one of the best portrayals of batman ever, played by Kevin Conroy.
What I loved about this series was that it fleshed out characters in it as people, not just gimmicks. There was depth to the heroes and villains and you actually felt sorry for the characters. The reason why harlequin because so popular was because this was the show that introduced her into the batman genre, not the comics.

Context to this scene, he character baby doll, played by Alison LaPlaca, who only appeared twice in the series, wasn't a child but a woman suffering a condition that stopped her physically aging, so she's a 40 year old in a child's body. She tried to play up her condition as a TV star but got fired for how he acted around others.

This scene is first time she dealt with the reality that she would never have the thing she really wanted, to just be a normal adult.

To this day this is one of the most emotional scenes in western animation to me, both because of how well it's played and after, but also showing that batman did have empathy once (before he got turned into an emotionless stick in the mud), and genuinely wanted to help people.

Loved this series, still rewatch it to this day.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on December 12, 2019, 04:00:18 PMWhat I loved about this series was that it fleshed out characters in it as people, not just gimmicks. There was depth to the heroes and villains and you actually felt sorry for the characters.
Exactly.  And my personal favorite example of that was the episode were Harley Quinn was let out of jail on probation with Bats keeping a close eye on her.

It helped make her character more well-rounded and even helped show that Bats is more than just an action hero, he's genuinely trying to help rehabilitate people, something that gets a bit lost sometimes in between the Bat credit card and the Goddamn Batman comics.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 12, 2019, 04:20:08 PM
Exactly.  And my personal favorite example of that was the episode were Harley Quinn was let out of jail on probation with Bats keeping a close eye on her.

It helped make her character more well-rounded and even helped show that Bats is more than just an action hero, he's genuinely trying to help people, something that gets a bit lost sometimes in between the Bat credit card and the Goddamn Batman comics.

Yeah. Also characters like two-face, Mr freeze, the mad hatter, penguin, they did an amazing job making these 'villains' into tragic characters.
I mean it seemed like in the later season or 'red sky series' they lost much of their emotional depth, but I still liked many of their introductions. Even gimmicky characters in the comics like the clock king were given some amazing redesigns and personalities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm_lHHwLUV8&app=desktop&persist_app=1

Also in this series, batman wasn't the invincible hero who could stand toe to toe with superman in a suit, he was more vulnerable. Later in this same episode above he fights against the clock king in a clock tower, and he can't lay a finger on him because the clock king has such impeccable timing he can predict all Batman's moves down to the millisecond, forcing batman to outthink him

Sal1981

Saw the Witcher on Netflix. The story was kinda thin, I think, but I was slightly entertained.

Munch

Been watching the new Harley Quinn series. First time seeing the trailer I thought it would be hot garbage, a show trying to hard to be edgy with annoying buzzword speech.
But I gave it a try, and it's actually pretty entertaining, you just have to not think to much on other iterations of the characters and it becomes kind of fun. Like if someone died in any other batman series it would be given some attention, but this one just treats death as part of a joke, like the man eating plant regurgitating up a half digested family in ivy's apartment, or joker just shooting his hencemen because he's annoyed.

Either way, it's silly and kinda fun, almost like an adult version of batman brave and the bold. I've always liked Harley and ivy together as friends and possible relationship, and some character redesigns is pretty fun like clayface coming off like a Shakespearean actor.

If you like the batman universe but okay with a less serious take on it it's worth a watch.

Sal1981

Dark.

Intriguing. The past is the future and the future is the past.

Hydra009

Hydra009

Like everyone else on the planet, I've started watching The Witcher.  Damn I need to start playing the games, lol.

Overall, it's a great series.  The setwork and costumes seem particularly good, and all the main characters seem to be cast well.

But I can't understand some of the dialogue to save my life.

*Geralt enters a bar*
Random guy:  "Grrr!  Git outta here, Witcher!  Blaargaviken has no time for the likes of you!  Maybe in Glaaviven or Blaavekiken, but no in our fair city of Blaargaviken!"
Geralt:  *brooding silence*
Random guy2:  "Do'as Glambert seez, Witcher.  I can tear off that mane o'yers if my name is Yenfrey Ettinbald!
Geralt:  *silence as Geralt contemplates the undocumented chemical spill that caused mothers to misname their sons so badly*

And what sort of name is Roach?  Geez!

All I'm saying is that the proper names don't exactly roll off the tongue.  In some ways, I miss Game of Thrones.  At least I could understand names like Dorne or Littlefinger or Night King.

And jeez, the exposition dumps!  One of the characters even goes meta and leaves a lampshade on the fact that he just dumped some exposition on the audience.

Another strange thing I noticed is that characters sometimes don't emote when delivering their lines.  I swear, a lot of their dialogue is really compelling, it just doesn't have quite the emotion behind it that it ought to have.  Don't ham it up, but something would be nice.  Some secondary characters deliver their lines like they're ordering take-out.

And why the f do mage lessons have to be so dangerous??  If magic users are rare, then it would make a lot of sense to cultivate their gifts as gingerly as possible, cause if any of them buy the farm, that's a very important asset down the drain.  As Negan once said, "People are a resource!"

Hydra009