News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on September 21, 2019, 02:48:36 PM
Ron Grainer was the artist of British TV show themes.  He's also responsible for the Doctor Who theme, although even he wasn't ready for what Delia Derbyshire and the Radiophonic Workshop did with it.  Upon first hearing it, he asked, "Did I write that?" to which she answered, "Most of it."  When you realize that it was done before the invention of the synthesizer, by manually editing bits of magnetic tape together, her accomplishment is even more amazing.

For my money, the Derbyshire realization of the Doctor Who theme remains the definitive one, particularly as finalized in the late Pertwee and most of the Tom Baker years.  I'm not a big fan of the more orchestrated versions; it should be otherworldly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNszKKAtEwU
Somehow, some way, I have not even seen a single episode of that show.  But I listened to that there song and I really like it.  How did I miss that show????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 21, 2019, 05:29:30 PM
Somehow, some way, I have not even seen a single episode of that show.  But I listened to that there song and I really like it.  How did I miss that show????

What the hell is wrong with you! ;-)  The first series with the first Doctor is a good place to begin.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on September 21, 2019, 07:04:46 PM
What the hell is wrong with you! ;-)  The first series with the first Doctor is a good place to begin.
I've been trying to figure that out for decades now.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

I dunno.  For most of us, the gateway drug was showings of the classic series on PBS stations in the 70s and 80s.  I was lucky to have three different PBS stations on our local cable network; I caught one serial on Friday night on Channel 27, and a different one on Sunday on channel 56.  The actual local PBS station, channel 30, didn't carry Doctor Who.  But most of it's out there somewhere to be seen.  I can provide a list of recommended episodes for each Doctor... striking out at random might lead to disappointments like 'The Gunfighters' or 'Kill the Moon'.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on September 22, 2019, 12:05:30 AM
I dunno.  For most of us, the gateway drug was showings of the classic series on PBS stations in the 70s and 80s.  I was lucky to have three different PBS stations on our local cable network; I caught one serial on Friday night on Channel 27, and a different one on Sunday on channel 56.  The actual local PBS station, channel 30, didn't carry Doctor Who.  But most of it's out there somewhere to be seen.  I can provide a list of recommended episodes for each Doctor... striking out at random might lead to disappointments like 'The Gunfighters' or 'Kill the Moon'.
I'll google some early YouTube episodes.  If...................I can tear myself away from the 10th play thru of FO4. :))

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 22, 2019, 09:34:43 AM
I'll google some early YouTube episodes.  If...................I can tear myself away from the 10th play thru of FO4. :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXBmQz2r2M8

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Unpopular opinion: start with the revival (series 1, circa 2005).  So you'd be starting with the 9th Doctor and the episode entitled "Rose"

Not gonna lie, there are some stinkers every now and then, but by and large, it's a brilliant show.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 22, 2019, 06:18:57 PM
Unpopular opinion: start with the revival (series 1, circa 2005).  So you'd be starting with the 9th Doctor and the episode entitled "Rose"

Not gonna lie, there are some stinkers every now and then, but by and large, it's a brilliant show.
I'd suggest starting with some Tom Baker or Jon Pertwee episodes.  But 'Rose' is a good episode to start with.  Most of the Eccleston year is pretty strong, arguably the single strongest season since the year Douglas Adams was script editor (1979), or the season the original Master was introduced (1971).
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 22, 2019, 06:18:57 PM

Started with the revival, I enjoyed the first few episodes but was never hooked.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 23, 2019, 05:20:03 AM
Started with the revival, I enjoyed the first few episodes but was never hooked.

Nah, the show had me at first Bad Wolf.

drunkenshoe

The Politician. I have just started. It's the new Netflix teen soap with political ambition. It is so disgustingly funny, I can't look away now.

QuoteYour generation got the terrible idea that it was best to vomit every thought and feeling all over each other. It's a pandemic of overcommunication that's led to an absence of intimacy.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 21, 2019, 07:06:37 PM
I've been trying to figure that out for decades now.

You'd love that show, Mike. It's wholesome, original and also the source of inspiration for lots of things you know and more famous than itself. You can start from the very beginning or with the new ones, don't think too much about it. You'll enjoy them differently. It's actually a bigger cult than star wars, don't listen them. LOL
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

I have missed so many episodes, even the partial episode clips are fresh to me.  Some of the story arcs with "companions" are quite sad though.  Think of Dr Who as a transmogrification of the Cold War for British children, as Star Trek was a transmogrification for American children.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Have you guys ever seen any of those 4K/HD remakes of old(ish) TV intros?  Cause they are mindblowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtUmm5mTehM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sns1Xj6L-Qc

I'm sitting here like Morty experiencing true level.

"Everything's crooked!  I want to go back!  I can't live like this, I can't live like this.  LAMBS TO THE COSMIC SLAUGHTER!"

Munch

I've been, in October fashion, buying a couple horror movies and TV shows, and brought, because I never watched it before, American horror stories, season 1.

It's pretty good, the actors are pretty decent, the story writing can be fun, if a little head scratching at times, but you need to suspend your disbelief for a horror based series.

Also, why wasn't I made aware of Dylan McDermott before this, bloody hell his man is hot, and he was in his late 40s early 50s when they started this series?!

He's freaking dreamy!

update: Seriously, this guy was 57 years old in this video here?!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_4AgFKF7Gc
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin