News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Speaking of 90s nostalgia, I've been rewatching Exosquad.

It was a standout hit and fairly gritty military science fiction, especially for the target audience.  And more character deaths than most Newberry books, lol.

But the most striking thing about it was the hilariously garish fashion choice of this futuristic society:

Pretty much everyone wears tight-fitting clothing (often with shoulder pads) painted in a seemingly random mish-mash of bright hues.  Hairstyles are equally comedic; long locks of hair paired with shaved undercuts, mullets, and what I can only assume was the inspiration for Butters' hair.

It is the most unintentionally funny thing I've seen in a long, long time: fabulous fashion clashing gloriously with the carnage of war.

Oh, and the heroes straight up murder their adversaries with little/no emotion:

http://i.imgur.com/dPQdXEw.mp4

Sal1981

The 1st episode of The Righteous Gemstones was hilarious and entertaining, but the 2nd episode seemed to fall flat on its face, not to mention that it was only an half hour long episode. IDK, maybe I just expected more from it, given the pilot episode.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 28, 2019, 06:37:42 PM
Speaking of 90s nostalgia, I've been rewatching Exosquad.

It was a standout hit and fairly gritty military science fiction, especially for the target audience.  And more character deaths than most Newberry books, lol.

But the most striking thing about it was the hilariously garish fashion choice of this futuristic society:

Pretty much everyone wears tight-fitting clothing (often with shoulder pads) painted in a seemingly random mish-mash of bright hues.  Hairstyles are equally comedic; long locks of hair paired with shaved undercuts, mullets, and what I can only assume was the inspiration for Butters' hair.

It is the most unintentionally funny thing I've seen in a long, long time: fabulous fashion clashing gloriously with the carnage of war.

Oh, and the heroes straight up murder their adversaries with little/no emotion:

The artwork looks familiar, especially the hair.  What should it be reminding me of?  I can't get my memory to identify it.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2019, 02:03:15 AM
The artwork looks familiar, especially the hair.  What should it be reminding me of?  I can't get my memory to identify it.

Looks like pretty much every other 90s cartoon. lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 31, 2019, 05:40:16 PM
Looks like pretty much every other 90s cartoon. lol

No, I think there is someome specific behind it.  Its like recognizing character voices.  Well, they could just be good copiers.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2019, 02:03:15 AM

Reminds me of x-men, the old cartoon

Bub.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 01, 2019, 05:31:03 AM
Reminds me of x-men, the old cartoon

Bub.

Something else.  A hint of Futurama, but not exactly that.  I'll see it somewhere and recognize it.  I catch voice artists the same way sometimes. 

Hydra009

Had a miniture conniption today reading about this.  Maybe it's nothing in this case, but in general, changing the number of episodes can have a big impact on the pacing of the story as well as the quality of the story.  Less episodes does not necessarily mean higher quality!

drunkenshoe

I have been watching Coupling today, after I have no idea...decades after its time. It's either the show has aged well or I have aged badly. Don't care, it is still funny.   
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIdF52zJcfo

I want to watch this show so bad.

Also, if you don't reflexively do the fist-over-the-chest salute while listening to this song, you're probably in league with the titans.

Baruch

Since the Japanese love swords and aren't Woke ... this anime may be a reincarnation of Star Wars Clone Wars.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Re-watching the original 'The Prisoner'.  Still amazing.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on September 21, 2019, 01:12:30 AM

Would love the security bubbles to discipline our public officials.  The dialog today seems as deranged as in that show.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on September 21, 2019, 01:12:30 AM
I had forgotten that one.  I liked it then.  Wonder if I'd like it now.  I really liked Patrick McGoohan in anything he was in, including Secret Agent.  And that TV show's theme song is a real earworm!  I just thought of that show and the theme song just popped into my head--and now it is stuck there!  Well, shit........................
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 21, 2019, 09:27:19 AM
I had forgotten that one.  I liked it then.  Wonder if I'd like it now.  I really liked Patrick McGoohan in anything he was in, including Secret Agent.  And that TV show's theme song is a real earworm!  I just thought of that show and the theme song just popped into my head--and now it is stuck there!  Well, shit........................
Ron Grainer was the artist of British TV show themes.  He's also responsible for the Doctor Who theme, although even he wasn't ready for what Delia Derbyshire and the Radiophonic Workshop did with it.  Upon first hearing it, he asked, "Did I write that?" to which she answered, "Most of it."  When you realize that it was done before the invention of the synthesizer, by manually editing bits of magnetic tape together, her accomplishment is even more amazing.

For my money, the Derbyshire realization of the Doctor Who theme remains the definitive one, particularly as finalized in the late Pertwee and most of the Tom Baker years.  I'm not a big fan of the more orchestrated versions; it should be otherworldly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNszKKAtEwU
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan