News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 13, 2019, 01:35:39 PM
Good Lord! I just went to youtube to check it out, and it's hilarious indeed!

The guy in the trailer I'm watching is trying to give his dead brother a good old Viking send off, putting him on a raft filled with wood, pushing it out into the water and shooting fire-arrows at it to burn it up. But he can't hit the damned thing! Everyone's standing around looking embarrassed by this idiot trying again and again to hit the raft, but his arrows keep falling short! Finally the thing is too far to even shoot at, so he makes some lame excuse and walk off.

I think I'll check out some more of that if it keeps being that funny.

Heck I might as well post it:

Missing the boat with fire arrows sounds rather realistic...  I bet it happened often enough to make the idea mostly symbolic.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

drunkenshoe

Love, Death and Robots. - Netflix 

Super! Don't miss it. 

It's a series of around 10 min, various style, independent animated stories. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Unbeliever

Wow, indeed! I was just checking it out at youtube, and it's definitely a "don't miss" kind of thing. More visual stimulation than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 20, 2019, 01:41:01 PM
Wow, indeed! I was just checking it out at youtube, and it's definitely a "don't miss" kind of thing. More visual stimulation than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick!

It's very good, isn't it? I loved all of the stories. I can watch that kind of series forever. They should make thousands of them,lol.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mr.Obvious

Watching THE umbrella academy. It's pretty solid so far.

Mr.Obvious

Just finished ep 6.
it's hypnotically good
Kudo's on the acting. On the dialogue. On the story. (Finally a timetravel story which, so far, doesn't irritate me. Even if it makes little sense.) And on the epic soundtrack.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

The Walking Dead 9x15 The Calm Before

There are three flashbulb scenes from the comics that I wanted to see on TV - scenes so pivotal and heart-wrenching that they make or break whole story arcs.  We already got the prison raid and Negan's introduction, next is the infamous pike scene.  It's basically The Walking Dead's equivalent of The Red Wedding.

And man oh man, was it every bit as chilling as I expected.  They changed up who exactly dies, and I kinda wish they had stuck more closely to the comics there and killed off *certain* people we're more attached to, but it was still pretty good.

The show really nailed Alpha and made her a much more menacing and intimidating villain than she ever was in the comics.  Same with Beta.  I'm very happy with how they've handled them so far.

It's funny, just as a lot of The Walking Dead's cast has walked away and the TV show seems to be dying (4 million live viewers), the show itself has actually been pretty good.  The staff has said that because they don't know how long the show's going to last, they're throwing everything they've got into the episodes and not holding any stuff back (dragging plotlines out).  About damn time.  If they had done that a few seasons ago, the show might not be dying right now.

Mr.Obvious

Mr.Obvious

You know...

They are remotely not the same show... But I watched the umbrella academy and now I've finally gotten around to watching the third or fourth episode of Titans.

Still, watching Titans, a show about a dysfunctional team of superheroes, I can't help but compare it to TUA. Maybe because, despite it's many more serious themes and different sense of humor, TUA has a levity that Titans misses. Especially when you compare Titans to Teen Titans the cartoon.

And in and by itself... Titans isn't bad. Not per se. I like the basic story so far. It's not very creative yet, but it works. I like the acting well enough. It's not ground-breaking, but it suffices.  I like the soundtrack somewhat, despite it not being memorable. The fighting is okay. The camerawork smooth enough to not be noticed...
But that's kind of the thing; in and by itself it's worth watching, but it never exceeds what is acceptable. It never rises up into awesomeness. It is bland in it's 6.5 out of 10. And yet it feels like less because there are so many better things you automatically compare it to.

Hydra009

I actually really liked the latest Walking Dead because in this one we finally come to grips with the everyday hardships of living in the post-apocalypse - it's not the zombies that kill ya, it's the cold and starvation and disease and despair.  Really depressing, but true.

Humans are extremely reliant on technology to keep us warm at night.  Without that, it's rough going.  Sure, you'd be okay for a while - you can bundle up and hunker down somewhere, but when the roof starts leaking and rats tear holes in the walls and mildew starts setting in, that's no beuno.  Add to that whispering zombies, and it's pretty much gg.

Baruch

But what if the zombies are Grateful Dead fans? (sarc).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 25, 2019, 08:16:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb8wQNAftYc

This looks intriguing! Lot's of fun, too.
It's OK I guess. I've seen 7 episodes. Somewhat averagely paced on the developing story.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Sal1981 on April 02, 2019, 03:33:56 AM
It's OK I guess. I've seen 7 episodes. Somewhat averagely paced on the developing story.

Huh, I really enjoyed it a lot. A lot of the humor worked for me, and I got invested in the characters.