News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Apu from the Simpsons is tossed into the memory hole, becomes an unperson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXsH4hxiv0o

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on October 29, 2018, 01:23:47 AM
Apu from the Simpsons is tossed into the memory hole, becomes an unperson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXsH4hxiv0o

I think all TV should be shut down, for stereotyping White males ;-)

As far as sexism goes ... I like strong characters, of either gender.  A man doesn't have to be effeminate (unless he is also a serial killer aka Dressed to Kill).  A woman doesn't have to be masculine (unless it is about steroid cheating in the Olympics).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

In the spirit of Halloween, I'm watching The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. So far it is pretty good. I do like the animated opening credits.

https://youtu.be/vsb8_KiUPqM

Baruch

Looks like a New England stereotype ;-)  The very beginning shows ... it is a dentist's nightmare.  All those bleeding gums!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Rewatching Star Trek: TNG...

Fuck, I miss the era of television that was almost more a stage play than a movie. The sets all look like something that would have been just as at home on a stage than on television, several of the actors were classically trained actors whom's delivery was very classic and grandiose (and particularly Sir Patrick Stewart's and John de Lancie's performances stand-out in this)...

I don't know, when you compare television today to this era... T.V. today seems far more akin to some multi-million dollar movie production, with admittedly better acting (since you don't have to exaggerate your tone and features for people farther away to hear or see them) and better graphics, and maybe that's okay... but there is something just innately romantic about the classical stage performance that has been part of human history for at least 2500 years, and it's a shame that even within my generation it's something that's been almost completely lost in popular media.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

I miss that, too.  I don't mind the more movie-like quality of current TV - it's not better or worse, just different, but I do get bouts of nostalgia with TNG and Babylon 5.

trdsf

MST3K is back for Season 12!

<insert video of trdsf doing the Happy Happy Joy Joy dance. No, don't look, what has been seen cannot be unseen.>
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

GSOgymrat

I know this is old news for people in Britian but I am enjoying Derren Brown's Netflix specials. Manipulating people into murder or taking a bullet is pretty disturbing.

https://youtu.be/doFpACkiZ2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpUpNv9uNSI

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk&app=desktop&persist_app=1

Interesting video. I don't watch modern Simpsons, I'd say I fell off the Simpsons wagon around season 15-16, but found myself rewatching older episodes I taped back then. A series you can look at between when it began and how it is today, it's weird, since the characters despite sounding and looking the same, just don't feel the same anymore.

When I first watched the show, I remember originally hating homer, nowhere acted with his family and others. Yet as time went on and I grew up, I began to find him hilarious in context of the show itself. I can still watch those early seasons and like the characters including homer, because those early seasons had charm and relatability.

But I can't do that with Simpsons today, the characters are like parodies of their former selves. Homers become a copy of Peter Griffin, which ironically family guy started out similar to Simpsons but ended up going down an apathetic and amoral route, so you can see how they play off each other now in trying to be the most obnoxious in an effort to keep ratings.

I'll keep rewatching classic Simpsons time to time, but yeah, fuck what this shows turned into.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Lisa became the evil feminist power behind the couch.  Don't trust anyone who plays saxaphone, like Bill Clinton.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on January 09, 2019, 07:23:59 PM
Lisa became the evil feminist power behind the couch.  Don't trust anyone who plays saxaphone, like Bill Clinton.

And homer became jerkass homer.

pretty much all the main characters became stereotypes without depth, and the background characters are now cardboard stand ins instead of once interesting characters. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on January 09, 2019, 08:29:24 PM
And homer became jerkass homer.

pretty much all the main characters became stereotypes without depth, and the background characters are now cardboard stand ins instead of once interesting characters.

Neo-lib propaganda at its best.  You realize, that any show that is popular, is infiltrated by the propaganda arm of the security services, right?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

So I'm watching an old Game of Thrones season 7 video where the caster goes over alleged season 7 leaks and dismisses most of it as illogical, absurd, fanfic-quality stuff. 

Plot twist: that leak was accurate af, making the video inadvertently hilarious.  *eats popcorn*

Mr.Obvious

watched the first two episodes of 'Titans' on netflix.

I didn't need it to be the 'teen titans' cartoon. I really didn't.

But for now, I was expecting... I dunno... more?

I'll keep watching for now. But I've heard Cyborg ain't in it, or not much. And that Garfield only changes into a tiger... I can get that budgetwise, for the CGI... but still... Seems to me like maybe then you should've gone with Victor over garfield and have garfield be a normal character that ends up getting his powers by the end of the first season. That way you can include him in the second, if it's a hit and you have the budget for it.
But maybe he'll turn out essential for the story of season 1, I dunno. Haven't seen much of him yet.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.