News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on July 27, 2018, 05:53:54 AMI wasn't sure through season one, as it seemed a bit too much like childish fantasy, rather than more serious sci fi.
The 90s was a different time.  The novelty of it and the lack of clear expectations means the tone's all over the place, especially for the first season.

QuoteThings like intentionally running into the vortex and then fearfully yelling and screaming until they shoot out tumbling and groaning and crashing into each other on the other end.
The show did a terrible job of conveying it (probably because the actors would likely have broken a leg) but the portal is a hell of bumpy ride and it basically catapults them out the other side.  Heaven help you if you sprint or jump into it.  I still have no clue why they do that.  Or why they open the portal and then have a wistful and time-consuming goodbye before finally departing.  I'd be super worried about that portal closing on me before I'm through!

QuoteI have mixed reactions to every episode being a new dimension that has to be escaped from before one of the foursome is killed or lost.
Just wait till at least one of the crew is always captured and they're always instigating a revolution.  Or the timer is running out and they have to reunite before time runs out or be stuck there for decades.

QuoteWouldn't most dimensions be less dangerous than that, at least some?
Some are.  They sometimes refer to them off-hand when they're being chased by an allosaurus or giant ant or something.  "Why couldn't we have stayed at the cheeseburger and milkshake planet, Q?" - Rembrandt.

Imo, this is a tale told by the Sliders to us, so naturally, they skip the boring parts.

But realistically, most dimensions would absolutely be dangerous to the Sliders.  They really lucked out in the show that most Earths are only very slightly diverged from Earth Prime.  If it was truly a random Earth, they'd plop down on barren or inhospitable planets regularly.  And even ones with people and technology like ours would have very different histories and cultures.  It'd be practically impossible to find anyone who speaks English, let alone people who take US currency.  And say hello to Montezuma's revenge.  And whatever plague is endemic there.

Realistically, they wouldn't last a week.

Baruch

I liked the original lead of Sliders .. because I like the actor ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-LImUsiexU
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Looks like the original Teen Titans show, the good one, is coming back. And the live action show is now officially dead on arrival. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdRgD5ytPCk
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 30, 2018, 12:02:55 AMAnd the live action show is now officially dead on arrival. lol
Aww.  :'(  They probably could've saved a couple bucks by running their idea past a focus group or something.  Seems like that would've been the prudent thing to do before hiring people and starting filming.

Writer:  "And then Robin jumps down on a car in that classic superhero landing (hell on the knees, though).  The criminals say 'Where's Batman?' for some reason while shooting at him.  You know the old saying, 'shoot first, ask questions later?'  Well, I went with both.  Then Robin kicks their asses, snaps a guy's neck, then says 'F Batman'"

Focus group:  "Who's he saying that to?  Is he talking to the corpse or is he a crazy guy who talks to himself?  Cause either way..."

Screen Rant is going to have a field day with the Pitch Meeting.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 30, 2018, 12:02:55 AM
Looks like the original Teen Titans show, the good one, is coming back. And the live action show is now officially dead on arrival. lol

Happy 91%

9% sad, I realize I'm never going to get around to finishing my fanfiction...
I never thought this would happen; i tried so hard to fit it into the canon and make it a possible future for the show...
Now: impossible.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9850493/1/The-art-of-trying
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Belgianwritersblock?  Sounds Dutch ;-)

My daughter liked to write fan fiction when she was younger.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 30, 2018, 06:27:50 AM
Happy 91%

I never thought this would happen; i tried so hard to fit it into the canon and make it a possible future for the show...

You could think of it as an alternate universe sort of thing, like Star Wars' extended universe, Dragon Ball GT, or...comic books in general actually. If you think about this way, the show's return could even free you up to do crazy stuff you know would never be done in canon.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 30, 2018, 06:27:50 AM
Happy 91%

Alternate reality.  A period of time between two episodes.  People who read fanfictions just want interesting and entertaining takes on their favorite shows and aren't too terribly worried about how it fits into canon.  They understand that future episodes are going to contradict earlier fanfics.  So no one's going to bust your balls if small details don't sync up or if the timeline gets screwy.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 31, 2018, 11:27:57 PM
Alternate reality.  A period of time between two episodes.  People who read fanfictions just want interesting and entertaining takes on their favorite shows and aren't too terribly worried about how it fits into canon.  They understand that future episodes are going to contradict earlier fanfics.  So no one's going to bust your balls if small details don't sync up or if the timeline gets screwy.

Oh i know. It's purely psychological on my end.
But it's that i prefer to write within The rules set by The canon.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 30, 2018, 12:02:55 AM

Anything other than the existing Teen Titans Go! would be good.  I liked the old one OK.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 30, 2018, 01:36:52 PM
You could think of it as an alternate universe sort of thing, like Star Wars' extended universe, Dragon Ball GT, or...comic books in general actually. If you think about this way, the show's return could even free you up to do crazy stuff you know would never be done in canon.

Breaking canon is a serious thing.  It might get new viewers but it really confuses and upsets existing ones.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 01, 2018, 12:32:12 AM
But it's that i prefer to write within The rules set by The canon.
I always preferred to explore the nooks and crannies the original creator(s) didn't poke into.  I avoided using canon characters as much as possible and just took advantage of a pre-built world to play in.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 27, 2018, 11:53:08 AM
But realistically, most dimensions would absolutely be dangerous to the Sliders.  They really lucked out in the show that most Earths are only very slightly diverged from Earth Prime.  If it was truly a random Earth, they'd plop down on barren or inhospitable planets regularly.  And even ones with people and technology like ours would have very different histories and cultures.  It'd be practically impossible to find anyone who speaks English, let alone people who take US currency.  And say hello to Montezuma's revenge.  And whatever plague is endemic there.

Realistically, they wouldn't last a week.
Other dimensions depicted in Sci Fi usually include the concept of a growing number of dimensions, where altered decisions create a new dimension with cumulative effects.  Why was General Landry in Stargate, now the president in a new dimension instead of the general at SG1?  The cumulative effects of altered decisions and actions led to different paths and outcomes. 

But here is what dawned on me after I started thinking about you comment of two weeks ago.  Most all of the visitations depicted in sci fi seem to be to dimensions where the branching just started in recent history.  There's still a Hammond, Landry, and a Malloy, but none of the dimensions include an Earth where no life formed.  They only seem to visit dimensions where something changed the events within the last 30 years or so.  OK, sliders takes it a bit farther than that sometimes.  Considering the random events that occur in 5 billion years, the actual number of other dimensions would be infinity-plus for lack of another way to describe it.  The chance of landing on a civilized dimension similar to ours would be infinitesimally small.  But you have to make a show that interests people.

On another note, season three of Sliders really takes off for me.  It's still heavier on fantasy than most sci fi, but I am really happy I heard about the series.  I'd like to know how they get home, but I've already decided from reviews that I won't be watching season 4 and 5.

Hydra009

I'm not sure if Sliders even subscribed to the branching multiverse theory.  All we really knew is that these dimensions are different, they don't necessarily branch off from a common history.
Although in the show, most dimensions did branch off within in the last 50 years or so.  Only a few were totally alien.  Perhaps their journey wasn't completely random.  Maybe they were guided...

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 06, 2018, 05:26:36 PM
I'm not sure if Sliders even subscribed to the branching multiverse theory.
I recall them discussing multiverse theory in a very early episode.  All I can remember was thinking how much it sounded like SG1.  I'd have to re-watch the episodes to see if branching was mentioned.