Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 28, 2018, 08:06:54 PM
Their masks have a long snout...
I remember that moment.  I haven't gotten to it yet in my current binge.  There must be two or three hundred episodes in the entire run.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on April 28, 2018, 08:39:20 PM
I remember that moment.  I haven't gotten to it yet in my current binge.  There must be two or three hundred episodes in the entire run.
214 episodes and 2 direct-to-dvd films.

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on April 28, 2018, 08:00:40 PM
In my opinion  NE was one of the most under-rated shows of all time. A wonderful cheeky fun romp with the occasional somber moment only to be ripped in the next scene. Enjoyed that show.
I've never looked at it's ratings, but no one I know seems to underrate it.  It was so successful and so unique that I would think someone would try to mimic it, not necessarily as an Alaska thing, but the quirky strangeness, the combination of drama, comedy, and unexplainable episodes that may have been supernatural, or just dreamed.  I can't think of another series like it.  I seldom followed many series back when I had a TV, but I would follow the better ones when I had time.  Northern Exposure was the one show I would set aside a whole night for so I wouldn't miss it.

I think I stumbled onto it one night close to beginning. It was the episode where patient number 9 dies in the doctor's waiting room, and the town adopts the corpse even though no one knew who he was or where he came from, puts him out on a picnic table because the ground is too frozen to dig a grave, and takes turns guarding the body so that wolves don't drag him off like they did to old Ed or whatever his name was when he died in the winter, as Maurice pointed out to volunteers.  I was hooked with that one episode.  I felt like I had stumbled onto something worthy of following religiously, and it turned out to be just that.

Baruch

Twin Peaks, mocked in the Twin Beaks Sesame Street episode ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

When Northern Exposure came to an end, maybe before then, I wondered what would happen to the cast.  I later stumbled onto Rob Morrow playing a detective on some ordinary cop show typical of the TV garbage of the previous 20 years.  It seemed like Morrow had fallen from stardom to mediocrity, and I actually felt sorry for him having to settle for such and unimportant role.  It was like he was trying to pay his rent the way Nicolas Cage has ended up.

Munch

For the record, I can't express my level of contempt in a literal way right now with what I've just seen. I'll let the video after speak for me.

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qi41rHz4ps[/spoiler]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on May 19, 2018, 09:56:45 PM
For the record, I can't express my level of contempt in a literal way right now with what I've just seen. I'll let the video after speak for me.

Yeah.  F that art style in particular.

Shiranu

Just started Atlanta... holy fucking shit, it's good. Is there any Donald Glover project that isn't instantly golden? This dude is literally become THE man of this generation.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 19, 2018, 11:18:08 PM

Yeah.  F that art style in particular.

The Chibis are coming, they are coming for youuuuuu

Zim was an antidote to chibiness
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Munch on May 19, 2018, 09:56:45 PM

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

GSOgymrat

From CBS, the premise:

A podcast-hosting, self-proclaimed “pesky atheist who wants to make you think” (Brandon Micheal Hall) isn’t so sure what to think when he’s friended by God on Facebook and then poked to help strangers for reasons that aren’t immediately clear. The truth is there’s more to this story than our hero or anyone else knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6XfmicoyZw&t=238s

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 22, 2018, 05:12:48 PM
From CBS, the premise:

A podcast-hosting, self-proclaimed “pesky atheist who wants to make you think” (Brandon Micheal Hall) isn’t so sure what to think when he’s friended by God on Facebook and then poked to help strangers for reasons that aren’t immediately clear. The truth is there’s more to this story than our hero or anyone else knows.
As if I needed another reason to stay away from Facebook.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 22, 2018, 07:11:16 PM
As if I needed another reason to stay away from Facebook.
As if I needed another reason to stay away from network TV.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Shiranu

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 22, 2018, 05:12:48 PM
From CBS, the premise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6XfmicoyZw&t=238s

I give it two episodes...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 21, 2018, 09:37:22 AM

I think this guy explains what it is pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OyUy1XeAVA

This is what has happened to western animation. Now don't get me wrong, I like steven universe, I like my little pony and gravity falls and can understand the like for adventure time and rick and morty even if I don't really watch them.

However, those were original creations, and while the same kind of style was in many of them, I just overlooked the fact because they are all pretty good creations.

This however is what happenes when someone, who claimed to be a fan of an original show, but just didnt' get what made it popular, decides to put his own tone on the material, trying to appeal to those who like the current animation style of today, while just saying fuck you you the original.

When you have people who put everything into making thundercats look good in 2011.:

You know, a proper homage to it, for them to cancel this show halfway into the second season, just to replace it with this shit that makes the characters look like their made out of silly putty, then you know the fucker who put this together just didn't get what made people like the original.

It be like making a batman cartoon with this design.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin