Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

JOY!!!

Netflix announced MST3K Season 12!

WE'VE GOT MORE MOVIE SIGN!
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Shiranu

Descendants of the Sun is on Hulu... after Taboo, that will be next.

Taboo: Pretty fucking good. Set in Victorian London, psycho get's caught in a 4 way corporate war between the East India Company, the Crown, the States and his own self interest. Tom Hardy is great. Would recommend if you like gritty period pieces and corporate/political scheming.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

The Walking Dead 8x7

A very odd episode with a lot of questionable character moments.  But hey, we at least got to see some much-anticipated action and things finally change a little.

[spoiler]Goddamn it, Eugene.  All you had to do was let it happen.

I figured he was playing the long game and gathering intel on the Saviors and then eventually sabotaging Negan in the worst way at the worst possible time.  Nope.  Apparently, he's just a scaredycat concerned primarily about numero uno.  Disappointing.

And the scene with Jadis was just plain bizarre.  Rick gets himself captured and nearly executed, but he beats up some guards and then they agree to let him leave.  Dafuq?  Did I miss a scene?  I also don't see why Jadis would change her mind.  Literally nothing about her situation has changed.  Her safest option would be to just pop two in Rick and relocate somewhere else.  Landfills near Baltimore can't be that hard to come by.

Speaking of missed shots, Dwight definitely would/should have shot Eugene.  Shooting the drone was surprisingly successful given how tricky a shot that was, but he could've just slapped the controls out of Eugene's hands.  Dwight put himself at serious long-term risk by not offing Eugene when he had the chance.  Dwight got lucky and everything turned out fine, but damn, that was one hell of a risk.  Relying on luck is a bad strat in the long term.[/spoiler]

AllPurposeAtheist

Just finished watching Midnight Sun on Hulu.. Very well done series from France and Sweden staring Leïla Bekhti.. Very good and hot Algerian born actress..also watched Below the Surface from Denmark.. Much better series than 99% of the crap produced here..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Luther Martini

I am looking forward seeing to "Peaky Blinders" season 4.  Currently being broadcast on BBC, it will be on Netflix later this month.  I am re-watching season 3 in anticipation of the new episodes.

Hydra009

The Walking Dead
Season 8 mid-season finale

Goddamn it, Gimple.  You done messed up.

This show has gone downhill a little lately, but it's had its moments, so I've been letting things slide.  And shocking deaths are a big part of the appeal this show, but there's a way to do that correctly.  This wasn't that.  It didn't pull the heartstrings, it just made me roll my eyes and wonder aloud if the writing staff was composed entirely of walkers.  It didn't shock me, it just disappointed me.

And I've been singing the praises of All Out War to my brother, who's kinda iffy on the show.  It's such an amazing part in the comics that any decent adaptation would make for fantastic TV.  I sound like a crazy person when I tell him how amazing this scene or that scene will be on TV because what actually makes it onscreen is such a pale imitation of the source material that, well, I sound crazy to be so rapt in anticipation.

The TV version has steadily lost a lot of what made it a great drama.  Unless it rekindles that magic, it's in for a swift decline.  And while this isn't the first crack, it is the first breach in the wall.

Hydra009

And now for something completely different, a joke that made my day.  Hell, probably my week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c7FL9QV1bs

Cavebear

In the barbershop a few days ago, there was and old episode of Bonanza.  I could see it was old; Adam was there.  It was embarrassingly horrible.  Like a soap opera.  Bad plot, bad acting, actors speaking the lines out of timing.

And yet, I know I watched it with my family in the 60s and thought it was great.  How times change...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

AllPurposeAtheist

Been watching a lot of Scandinavian crime fiction on MHz Choice (roku channel)
There are some really great series coming from Scandinavia lately.. Much better than the typical slop on TV from Hooeywood..  You might think that the Scandinavian countries were the most crime ridden places on the planet, but they just have a lot of great crime novelists..
One series from Germany is The Weissensee Saga
A series based on a couple of families in East Germany before the fall of the wall.. One family are Stazi agents, the other disidents .. Great story..

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on January 12, 2018, 09:17:47 PM
There are some really great series coming from Scandinavia lately.. Much better than the typical slop on TV from Hooeywood..  You might think that the Scandinavian countries were the most crime ridden places on the planet, but they just have a lot of great crime novelists..
A series based on a couple of families in East Germany before the fall of the wall.. One family are Stazi agents, the other disidents .. Great story..

Remember when Hollywood fired all their writers because they went on strike?  Damn liberals ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 14, 2017, 09:37:02 PM
And now for something completely different, a joke that made my day.  Hell, probably my week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c7FL9QV1bs
LOL  I knew something was going to happen, but that took me by surprise.

SGOS

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on January 12, 2018, 09:17:47 PM
I'd never thought about Scandinavian film making until they came up with something called "Let the Right One In," which was surprisingly good even with the subtitles.  And then Hollywood remade it with the American version called "Let Me In," which wasn't near as good.  I may have mixed up the titles, but the Scandinavian one was better, IMO.

AllPurposeAtheist

I REALLY enjoy the MHz choice channel.. It has films and series from all over Europe. It's a great break from the typical fare from the US and GB and for about 8 bucks a month it's worth it and better yet NO FUCKING COMMERCIALS!  NONE-AUCUN-KEINER-GEEN-INGEN

Ok..I used google translate for the word none..  -1 brownie point
And let's face it folks..American remakes of just about any film originally made elsewhere almost always sucks..and don't whine about having to read subtitles.  You might even learn how to cuss in multiple languages..

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on January 13, 2018, 11:04:54 AM
I'd never thought about Scandinavian film making until they came up with something called "Let the Right One In," which was surprisingly good even with the subtitles.  And then Hollywood remade it with the American version called "Let Me In," which wasn't near as good.  I may have mixed up the titles, but the Scandinavian one was better, IMO.

I can't help it.  3 words I never imagined I would see together.

Scandanavian
Crime
Fiction
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

I rewatched some DS9.  It just now struck me how 90% of that show was characters having conversations.  And for the most part, they were interesting conversations.  There's a great mix of characters, with a variety of different backgrounds and perspectives.  It felt cosmopolitan in a way that no Trek has before or since.