News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

The Walking Dead 8x02

I really liked this episode!  It actually feels like an all-out war.  And yeah, I gave them a pass and stopped counting ammo or else I'd drive myself crazy this episode.

[spoiler]So instead of counting ammo, I decided to count people.  Rick's forces are consistently outnumbered, but inflict way more casualties than they take.  And the Saviors have been dropping like flies since they were introduced.  I estimated that they had 300 or so (not counting non-combatants) initially.  They're probably under 200 now.  That's a massive reduction in military strength and jobs previously held by these soldiers are now going largely undone.  Outposts are no longer staffed, lookouts are no longer looking out, etc.  And we haven't even gone into morale issues.  You lose 30% of your crew in only a few months and you start looking for a truce, or make tracks, or start agitating for a change of leadership.  And that's with a leader you might've liked.  Negan better be wearing his shitting pants.

Also, how many dead ones have the survivors dispatched?  If only 1/1000 people survive the apocalypse to now, they only have to kill on average about a thousand dead ones before they start running out.  It seems like Rick's crew has been taking out the trash daily.  Over time, one should expect it to get quieter and quieter.  But it's a show and the undead keep things interesting, so I suppose the undead are functionally unlimited.

And there's this whole Tara VS Jesus thing going on.  Duty VS mercy.  Personally, I side with Tara.  Sure, it's wrong to kill surrendering forces, but these people are complete pieces of crap who would stab you in the back, plus you literally have no quarter to offer them.  You could assimilate captives and spread them out over various communities, but there's simply too many for that to be practical.  And tying people up serves no real purpose.  It just makes them convenient meals for the walkers.  You might think you're sparing their lives, but you're not.  So yeah, Jesus was dumb.

I loved Rick's brutal walker-feeding technique, Maggie's battleborn undead plan, and The King's fake it till you make it plan.  Verily, the Kingdom is the finest settlement in the entire realm![/spoiler]

Hydra009

The Walking Dead 8x03

I absolutely love The Kingdom!

They might have a goofy dramatic flair and other eccentricities, but they're good people with a strong, close-knit, capable community.  And their reliance on horses over vehicles highlights their pragmatic, unassuming nature.  Even their armor, which admittedly is poorly protective and ill-fitting, at least offers some protection and serves as a uniform to allow Kingdomers to recognize each other at a glance and helps them stand out from other survivors.

[spoiler]I can't get enough Clear Morgan.  Monk class with barbarian rage, lol.  I can't wait till he gets his hands on Jared.  You know it's coming.

But that ending had me like:
[/spoiler]

Mr.Obvious

Stranger Things season 2 was pretty epic.

I love how the show boils up until the last two episodes. The boiling is intense and intriguing. And then the climax, it feels deserved and is just amazing.
And such great characters!
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mr.Obvious

Stranger things speculation.
Contains spoilers up to and including season 2

[spoiler]I'm more convinced after season 2 that the upside down is somehow not a genuine 'alternate dimension' but rather Eleven's own tortured psyché. There's a lot of fan speculation that came out from season 1 that implied the Demogorgon was just another side of eleven. Duality being a key concept in Stranger things (the upside down, the demogorgon being a two-headed beast of which the two heads try to kill each other, one signifying lies (Eleven) and the other madness (the monster), the monster having the exact same powers (telekenisis) ...)

I always thought it was a plausible theory. It would explain why the world of upside down hawkins would be exactly the same as current hawkins. Because otherwise, if it were a genuine alternate dimension, how recent wouldn't the catastrophe have had to be to have all the exact same buildings there. After all, apart from flickering of lights, objects don't correspond to the upside down. When a door opens in the real world, it doesnt' open in the upside down as seen when Joyce Byers and Hopper move through her upside-down house.

Season 2 furthered that theory for me. When Kali tries to convince Eleven to stay by summoning the illusion of her 'papa', he goes off about her having an injury. An infection that will rot and spread and that she needs to heal. This is exactly what the tunnels do. They rot and spread, all from the gate she opened and feels responsible for. At the very least it's a symbolic connection: a methaphore for her coming to terms with the wounds she's suffered and rising past them. But I get the feeling its more than that. I can't prove it, but it seems to lead credence to the idea imho.

Plus... While there are other solutions for this: Eleven knew in season 2 episode 9 that something was wrong with Will. She didn't see that in her glance at Hopper and Will of season 2 episode 7. Now its possible she 'meditated' to find the others and that's how she met up. And it would be cinematically interesting not to show this as to create a genuine fear for the characters' safeties in the viewer plus to avoid redundancies. But the fact remains we didn't see her home in, giving the impression that she did it subconsciously. So she seemingly knew automatically what was wrong with Will and where they were, just as the shadow monster did too. Kind of like how she knew Will was in the upside down to begin with in season 1. A stretch, maybe. But still. Fun to speculate.
[/spoiler]
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

trdsf

Getting caught up on Doctor Who in time for the regeneration, and QI Series O is on.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on November 07, 2017, 03:02:12 PM
Getting caught up on Doctor Who in time for the regeneration, and QI Series O is on.

I haven't seen the new Doctor. Read it is a female now.  I must not be looking around at the right times.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on November 11, 2017, 07:48:43 AM
I haven't seen the new Doctor. Read it is a female now.  I must not be looking around at the right times.
They haven't had her intro episode yet.  That'll be on Newton's Birthday (commonly celebrated as Xmas).
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on November 12, 2017, 12:31:28 AM
They haven't had her intro episode yet.  That'll be on Newton's Birthday (commonly celebrated as Xmas).

Thank you.  Saved me 6 weeks of searching the screen TV guide looking for it until then. 

A female Doctor Who should be a very interesting new approach. 

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 04:58:04 AM
Thank you.  Saved me 6 weeks of searching the screen TV guide looking for it until then. 

A female Doctor Who should be a very interesting new approach.
It's been floated a couple times.  Tom Baker infamously trolled his retirement announcement by offering his best wishes to his successor "whoever he or she may be".  They considered a female Doctor to try to reinvigorate the show after Colin Baker.  And of course there was a lot of buzz that Smith's successor might be either a woman or a non-white actor (I was hoping for Sue Perkins personally).  I suspected the reason they regenerated the Master into Missy was to test the waters.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on November 15, 2017, 11:44:03 AM
It's been floated a couple times.  Tom Baker infamously trolled his retirement announcement by offering his best wishes to his successor "whoever he or she may be".  They considered a female Doctor to try to reinvigorate the show after Colin Baker.  And of course there was a lot of buzz that Smith's successor might be either a woman or a non-white actor (I was hoping for Sue Perkins personally).  I suspected the reason they regenerated the Master into Missy was to test the waters.

Well I certainly will be prepared for acceptance.

With the acknowledgement that there have been male Doctors I did not like and there could be the wrong woman as The Doctor.  But time heals many dislikes.  I hated ST:TNG at first, but loved ST:Voyager from the get-go.

The right person, the right quirky characteristics, the right attitude, and I'm on board...  But one thought...  Oh please don't let the new Doctor dress all frilly.  I'd gag.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 12:13:30 PM
Well I certainly will be prepared for acceptance.

With the acknowledgement that there have been male Doctors I did not like and there could be the wrong woman as The Doctor.  But time heals many dislikes.  I hated ST:TNG at first, but loved ST:Voyager from the get-go.

The right person, the right quirky characteristics, the right attitude, and I'm on board...  But one thought...  Oh please don't let the new Doctor dress all frilly.  I'd gag.
They've revealed her outfit.  It is not frilly.  It's a throwback to the quirkier and idiosyncratic styles of the original series, and there are a number of sartorial shout-outs to previous Doctors.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on November 15, 2017, 12:41:56 PM
They've revealed her outfit.  It is not frilly.  It's a throwback to the quirkier and idiosyncratic styles of the original series, and there are a number of sartorial shout-outs to previous Doctors.

OUTSTANDING!  I love the "long trench coat" idea.  I was thinking "lab coat", but that's close.  Might there be a scarf?  Or is this one all utterly practical?  That might be too much like the previous Doctor.  There has to be something odd.  Interesting...

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on November 15, 2017, 12:49:21 PM
OUTSTANDING!  I love the "long trench coat" idea.  I was thinking "lab coat", but that's close.  Might there be a scarf?  Or is this one all utterly practical?  That might be too much like the previous Doctor.  There has to be something odd.  Interesting...
The stripes on the shirt and coat are roughly the colors of the Fourth Doctor's first couple scarves (I know, I've knit two of them).  The coat is the color of the Seventh Doctor's first jacket, but cut long like Baker's or Smith's.  There's been a lot of discussion about a scarf in the fandom -- on a different forum I belong to, I pointed out that she has one, if she can remember where she hung it up a few regenerations back.  `:)`

I think it's an outfit that's psychologically reminiscent of Pat Troughton's or Tom Baker's: it says "You're going to underestimate me, and then I'm going to crush you."

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on November 15, 2017, 01:04:11 PM
The stripes on the shirt and coat are roughly the colors of the Fourth Doctor's first couple scarves (I know, I've knit two of them).  The coat is the color of the Seventh Doctor's first jacket, but cut long like Baker's or Smith's.  There's been a lot of discussion about a scarf in the fandom -- on a different forum I belong to, I pointed out that she has one, if she can remember where she hung it up a few regenerations back.  `:)`

I think it's an outfit that's psychologically reminiscent of Pat Troughton's or Tom Baker's: it says "You're going to underestimate me, and then I'm going to crush you."

I don't know the Doctors like you do.  But I like your analysis.  I can at least remember them when you mention them.