News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I just saw the second episode.  It's much better, imo.  Logic is still on vacation, but it's easier to understand what's going on and the battle was decently done.  There's even a glimmer of characterization and a faint hope that someday, it may even be good.

Such a shame, since this episode wasn't broadcast on basic cable, just the subscription website, where there's a much smaller audience.  Rules of acquisition #10 and #203.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 28, 2017, 11:50:23 PM
I just saw the second episode.  It's much better, imo.  Logic is still on vacation, but it's easier to understand what's going on and the battle was decently done.  There's even a glimmer of characterization and a faint hope that someday, it may even be good.

Such a shame, since this episode wasn't broadcast on basic cable, just the subscription website, where there's a much smaller audience.  Rules of acquisition #10 and #203.

I fully understand the temptation directors have to change the Vulcans and the Klingons, but I won't abide it. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

The latest episode was pretty much the prison fight scene from Watchmen ("I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!") and Doom 3.  Also, shrooms are the key to interstellar travel.  I wish I were joking.

Not featured: anything that remotely gives off Trek vibes.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 03, 2017, 11:45:14 PM
The latest episode was pretty much the prison fight scene from Watchmen ("I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!") and Doom 3.  Also, shrooms are the key to interstellar travel.  I wish I were joking.

Not featured: anything that remotely gives off Trek vibes.

Best killer criticism all month.  No Star Trek connection I can find.  You can't have the Vulcan be so wrong...

Hydra009

This is really strange to say, but I think I like The Orville more than Discovery.  Yes, I'm serious.

Discovery is heavy on action and has a gritty sort of feel to it.  And not a good kind of gritty, either.  The kind of gritty that's kinda offputting.  Hell, half of one episode reminded me of Doom 3.  There's so much action and so little character and world development that I don't even really care about the outcome of said action.

Orville isn't the most thrilling show out there, but I think it captured a lot more of the aesthetics/themes of Trek.  Hell, we even get the occassional dilemma that Trek's known for.  Orville's comedic value is practically nonexistent but it's played so straight that it's difficult to tell if the jokes were intentional.  It makes for a passable Trek experience.

Hydra009

Orville's 4th episode is friggin' great.  Not The Best of Both Worlds great or In The Pale Moonlight great, more like Blink Of An Eye good.  The plot is like an inverse Nightfall.  Curiosity, action, and humor.  Probably the best episode for someone who's on the fence to watch.

I'm sitting here in shock that the show I wanted to like - Star Trek Discovery - turned out to be kinda disappointing, but the show that I thought would be kinda crappy - The Orville - turned out to be actually pretty good.

My whole worldview is upside down over here.  What else are my first impressions completely wrong about??

AllPurposeAtheist

Been watching Blacklist with James Spader lately.. Pretty hoakey premises, but too bad we don't have that kind of benevolent criminal knocking off the shitheads of the planet.. I actually kind of liked ol Red Reddington until he shot Mr Kapplan .. and the bitch Elizabeth Keen isn't nearly as likable as the series writers want the audience to believe.  They killed her then brought her back to life, but should have kept her dead. She reminds me too much of Sylvia's daughter who accused me of hitting her at a new years party a few years ago.. of course I didn't hit her, but probably should have.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 07, 2017, 02:14:10 AM
Been watching Blacklist with James Spader lately.. Pretty hoakey premises, but too bad we don't have that kind of benevolent criminal knocking off the shitheads of the planet.. I actually kind of liked ol Red Reddington until he shot Mr Kapplan .. and the bitch Elizabeth Keen isn't nearly as likable as the series writers want the audience to believe.  They killed her then brought her back to life, but should have kept her dead. She reminds me too much of Sylvia's daughter who accused me of hitting her at a new years party a few years ago.. of course I didn't hit her, but probably should have.

Discovery doesn't make Star Trek Sense.  Haven't seen the Orville.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 08, 2017, 03:44:33 AM
Discovery doesn't make Star Trek Sense.  Haven't seen the Oroville.

All the old Trekkies are supporting Oroville.  Even Patrick Stuart ;-)  They are lifting Oroville into Trekdom ... I wanted to like Discovery, but the only thing I like about it is the uniforms.  Very sharp ... they could get paper cuts getting in and out of them.  I like the tall alien on Discovery, but my daughter hates Sarak's adopted human daughter.  I won't say anything about Oroville (spoilers).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 08, 2017, 10:51:45 PM
All the old Trekkies are supporting Oroville.  Even Patrick Stuart ;-)  They are lifting Oroville into Trekdom ... I wanted to like Discovery, but the only thing I like about it is the uniforms.  Very sharp ... they could get paper cuts getting in and out of them.  I like the tall alien on Discovery, but my daughter hates Sarak's adopted human daughter.  I won't say anything about Oroville (spoilers).

I saw the premier of 'Discovery.  The Vulcan is all wrong.  The captain is fine,.  I liked the tall alien with his extreme caution.  I assume that means his species were prey and the the idea that they achieved sentience is slightly fascinating.

But I won't pay a dime to watch it...

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on October 08, 2017, 03:44:33 AM
Discovery doesn't make Star Trek Sense.  Haven't seen the Orville.
I recommend episode 4.  It's the episode that changed my opinion from meh to favorable.  Ordinarily, I wouldn't recommend skipping episodes, especially the premiere, but if you're familiar with TNG, you're already more or less up to speed.  Plus, the first couple episodes are fairly weak, imo.  The show didn't really hit its stride until 4.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 09, 2017, 12:44:19 PM
I recommend episode 4.  It's the episode that changed my opinion from meh to favorable.  Ordinarily, I wouldn't recommend skipping episodes, especially the premiere, but if you're familiar with TNG, you're already more or less up to speed.  Plus, the first couple episodes are fairly weak, imo.  The show didn't really hit its stride until 4.

Discovery isn't episodic.  It is designed to grow on you, eventually, like a space fungus ;-)  That is its strength and weakness.  Non-episodic shows (say ... Rome) are a very extended version of the Tolkien trilogy, except you don't have to wait a year between installments.  Very cinematic ... but weak on character development (which is easier in episodic format).  The weakness of The Orville" was in the premier, because they had to spend half of it introducing the odd-ball characters.  Comparing The Orville to Firefly is probably apt.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on October 09, 2017, 01:45:56 PMDiscovery isn't episodic.
I was talking about The Orville. :[

QuoteThe weakness of The Orville" was in the premier, because they had to spend half of it introducing the odd-ball characters.  Comparing The Orville to Firefly is probably apt.
In that very specific way, they may be similar.

But that's a pretty bizarre comparison since the two shows have virtually nothing in common except for space ships and speaking english, and that last one only holds true most of the time.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 09, 2017, 12:44:19 PM

I'll consider that, but it has to get on cable or I'll never see it.

Hydra009

The Walking Dead is back!!!

[spoiler]I actually really liked the episode.  It had everything I wanted - the whole gang gets screentime and there are finally some fireworks at the Sanctuary.

Rick and co had a solid gameplan.  Snipe the guards like a boss, assault with IFVs, and train deadite mobs right to Negan's doorstep.

It's a great plan with just one hitch - no one in Rick's group can hit anything but the broad side of a barn, despite regularly headshotting walkers for years and ghosting rooftop guards just seconds ago.

Plus, they waste more bullets than the A-team.  And I swear to god, that 6-cylinder revolver spit out like 20 bullets without a reload.  I know, I know, it's a zombie show, so not everything is going to be super realistic, not even the deer.  But running out of ammo has been a thing in past episodes and in the comic - limited ammo makes things way more exciting because it makes for closer calls with walkers and gives characters a reason to engage in melee and to go on salvage runs.  With unlimited ammo, the gang can just spray-and-pray their way out of any dangerous situation, and that's no fun.

Also, Negan really got handed the Idiot Ball this episode.  He might work more with a wooden baseball bat than polarity plating, but he's no dummy.  As soon as Rick opened fire, he should've ducked for cover or taken Eugene as a human shield or something.  Anything but sitting there and deflecting bullets with his character shield.  At the very least, he could've summoned his army and made a go of it.  He had zero plan and it showed.  This from the guy who led Rick to where he's going not long ago and just last episode engineered one hell of a backstab.  Realistically, he would've definitely had a contingency plan for an attack from a group he's already at war with.  That's just War 101.  And FFS, why not post at least two guards together?  I mean, what happens when the lone guard has to take a dump while dead ones are incoming?  Buddy system, people!  Eugene your operations, man.

And finally, these smash cuts to god knows what are getting ridiculous.  I had to go on reddit just to figure out what the hell I was watching, and it's apparently 4 different points in time smashed into each other with scant context.  The full explanation of it read like a friggin' Lost breakdown.  That artistic style was great in What Happened and What's Going On, but it's possible to have too much of a good thing.[/spoiler]