Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 17, 2017, 12:55:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7GAhnVwhA

If anyone had told me 20 years ago that Star Wars would be awesome again, I would've never believed it.

I'll be honest, I went in kind of wanting to dislike the show.

I couldn't.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 19, 2017, 12:15:41 PM
I'll be honest, I went in kind of wanting to dislike the show.

I couldn't.
I didn't like the first couple episodes.  It seemed too kiddie and disney-ish.  It also had some pretty bad plot holes and characterization issues (Sabine's scant dialogue was particularly noticeable).  But the show steadily improved.  Now, I'd say it's filled the hole left by Clone Wars' abrupt cancellation.

trdsf

I really can't think of anything that could make me interested in Star Wars again.  The original trilogy is still two and a half fun movies, but ugh.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 19, 2017, 12:33:01 PM
I didn't like the first couple episodes.  It seemed too kiddie and disney-ish.  It also had some pretty bad plot holes and characterization issues (Sabine's scant dialogue was particularly noticeable).  But the show steadily improved.  Now, I'd say it's filled the hole left by Clone Wars' abrupt cancellation.

I know what you mean. Though even at the start, it had me hooked.
First episode though, I agree, one of the least well.
From the over-Obvious crush Ezra has on Sabine (luckily downplayed, yet not completely discarded later on as the series progresses), to the unlikely resolve to the initial conflict between the ghost crew for plot's sake, to the obviousness of setting and pitching the story. But this was a pilot and I often feel like pilot's require a more thorough look to give it a chance. If you look at the Community pilot, for example, if the entire show had been that quality, it wouldn't have stood out. But it had the potential for the rest of the show inside it. Same for this pilot: budding with potential, though it was still finding it's own way.

Hydra009

As it progressed, the writing got a lot better and new villains were brought in.  Maul, Vader, and now Thrawn.  Star Wars lives and dies depending on the strength of its villains.  And the villains of Rebels have gotten much, much better.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 20, 2017, 09:33:30 AM
As it progressed, the writing got a lot better and new villains were brought in.  Maul, Vader, and now Thrawn.  Star Wars lives and dies depending on the strength of its villains.  And the villains of Rebels have gotten much, much better.

Yes.
So did twin suns piss you off too?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 20, 2017, 11:19:32 AMSo did twin suns piss you off too?
No.  Actually, I kinda liked it.  I groaned when I saw there'd be yet another Maul episode.  His perpetually lingering presence had grown tiresome.  I laughed a little at the fight scene.  It was an anticlimactic fight, but it seemed appropriate that a waning power would be easily dispatched by a waxing power.  It wouldn't have made much sense to make it a nail-biter.

It's practically expected that every fight scene is going to be a close match to make it as thrilling as possible for the audience.  But that expectation met too often can also make it boringly predictable.  Every once and a while, it's important to subvert that expectation and have a curb stomp battle to either show off just how dangerous a new threat is or to show how much a villain has decayed.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 20, 2017, 11:49:52 AM
No.  Actually, I kinda liked it.  I groaned when I saw there'd be yet another Maul episode.  His perpetually lingering presence had grown tiresome.  I laughed a little at the fight scene.  It was an anticlimactic fight, but it seemed appropriate that a waning power would be easily dispatched by a waxing power.  It wouldn't have made much sense to make it a nail-biter.

It's practically expected that every fight scene is going to be a close match to make it as thrilling as possible for the audience.  But that expectation met too often can also make it boringly predictable.  Every once and a while, it's important to subvert that expectation and have a curb stomp battle to either show off just how dangerous a new threat is or to show how much a villain has decayed.

We finally find something to disagree on, hydra. :p

I didn't groan, having a feeling this would be maul's finale episode in any case. Unless they did Like a flahback. I guess I was just really banking on that expectation, that pay-off. Don't get me wrong, for example Indiana Jones unceromoniously shooting THE bragging oaf that brought a knife to a gunfight is hilarious. But there had been so much build-up... I feel blue-balled.

Diverting expactancies is fine. But they could have done it another way. Maybe have ben and maul duke it out, only to have ezra be THE one to finish maul off in an effort to save ben, showing off how his physique has dwindled while his mental abilities remained prime. Would've made for better emotional conclusion for both maul and ezra and could have gone to explain Why kenobi hardly moved in his final duel with darth vader.

But hey, that's just me.
Thrawn meeting an anticlimactic fate, as in legends (so I am told), I could see well enough. And it could work.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 20, 2017, 12:12:13 PMWe finally find something to disagree on, hydra. :p
It was bound to happen sooner or later.  But otherwise, generally agreed?  That's a very rare thing.  I've been known to court controversy by saying that the sky is blue and grass is green.

QuoteI didn't groan, having a feeling this would be maul's finale episode in any case. Unless they did Like a flahback. I guess I was just really banking on that expectation, that pay-off. Don't get me wrong, for example Indiana Jones unceromoniously shooting THE bragging oaf that brought a knife to a gunfight is hilarious. But there had been so much build-up... I feel blue-balled.
Yeah, I can understand that.  The Indiana Jones scene works in part because the victim is just a mook.  Main characters deserve a more satisfying send-off.  I can sympathize with that idea.

QuoteDiverting expactancies is fine. But they could have done it another way. Maybe have ben and maul duke it out, only to have ezra be THE one to finish maul off in an effort to save ben, showing off how his physique has dwindled while his mental abilities remained prime. Would've made for better emotional conclusion for both maul and ezra and could have gone to explain Why kenobi hardly moved in his final duel with darth vader.
Yeah, I was kinda miffed that Ezra and Kanan didn't play more of a role.

QuoteThrawn meeting an anticlimactic fate, as in legends (so I am told), I could see well enough. And it could work.
Spoilers!

trdsf

The new MST3K just gets better and better.  Watched Avalanche last night, and everyone's settling so well in to their roles.  Great cameo by [spoiler]Neil Patrick Harris, who had a terrific (and hilarious) musical number with Felicia Day[/spoiler].  Today it will be The Beast of Hollow Mountain.

Life... is good.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Sorginak

I am a huge X-Files geek, having seen every episode of every season and every movie.

Season ten,
Quotethe six-episode revival of the FBI conspiracy drama debuted January 24 2016.

The 11th season of The X-Files, this new run will air on Fox’s schedule either later this year or early next.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/x-files-returns-event-series-fox-1202073290/

Sorginak

I have decided to watch Red Dwarf.

Thankfully, there are not twenty episodes per season so it will be relatively easy to catch up on it.

Sorginak

Season Ten, episode two of Doctor Who

This episode is so my speed in life.

It basically deals with how corporate wants us to smile all the time as though nothing bad is ever happening.

What if I do not want to smile?  False smiles do not equate to happiness, after all.

Personally, I would rather not smile than to smile unnecessarily. 

Quote from the show: The Doctor, "You can't offend a machine."

The newest, though not in reference to post industrial evolution, scariest thing:

Oh, there's his screwdriver.

Another quote: The Doctor, "All traps are beautiful, that's how they work."

The conclusion is that corporate does not know how to properly deal with the real concept of grief.  Thus, they recommend burying it beneath false smiles, false happiness.

Another instance shown where guns do not help the situation, but instead make it worse.

Another quote:  The Doctor, "You know why I always win at chess?  I have a secret move.  I kick over the board."

Overall, brilliant freaking episode. 

SGOS

Rotten Tomatoes lists Dr Who as the longest running TV series (36 seasons).  I've never watched an episode, and outside of this thread, never knew anyone that has.  Not that I'm never a latecomer, however.  I missed Dexter, Breaking Bad, and all 3 of the Stargate series during their initial airings, and now they are in my Top 5 list.  It never occurred to me to watch Dr Who.  I don't know why.