News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on February 27, 2017, 08:17:10 AMI just finished watching Westworld over the weekend.
Amazing, wasn't it?  I particularly liked the ending speech/scene.

QuoteBlew my mind, with a six-shooter...literally.
Literally?

QuoteI heard they aren't doing another season, right away. I'm not sure where they would go with it, from here.
They're working on it, but there won't be a new episode until 2018.

Hydra009

Last night's Walking Dead was pretty good.

Eugene is my spirit animal.

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/836225233283592192

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deUMaYGnnVE

Solomon Zorn

If you haven't seen Westworld yet, don't peek:[spoiler]
Quote from: Hydra on February 27, 2017, 12:33:42 PM
Amazing, wasn't it?  I particularly liked the ending speech/scene.
The end of the speech, was what I was alluding to, with "Literally," being fully aware of the cliche' nature of the word, as it is usually used. I just didn't want to spoil anything.

That speech, was the perfect finale for the season. Also, the revelation, of the identity of Ed Harris' character, was heartbreaking, but it tied everything together so nicely - beautiful touch.

One problem I had though with the plot:
[spoiler]Okay, when Ford was showing Bernard his blocked memories, we saw that he killed Elsie, when she discovered that Theresa was responsible for the satellite uplink smuggling data out of the park. But why? It doesn't seem like it would be of any benefit to Ford, to have Bernard kill her. Or was killing Elsie, supposed to have been Bernard's own decision? And if so, why would the memory be blocked?[/spoiler]

Quote from: HydraThey're working on it, but there won't be a new episode until 2018.
This morning, my sister and I were talking about the possibility of, Ford coming back as a robot, next season. Or the possibility, that it was a robot Ford who was shot. But I think either one is a cop-out. I hope they find some more great actors for the next run.[/spoiler]
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Hydra009

Westworld spoilers:

[spoiler]Ah, okay.  Wordplay, not misuse.  Verdict of not guilty for word crimes.

Ed Harris, the Man in Black, got his wish.  Now he can finally live out the high-stakes adventure he's been waiting for all his life.  Assuming he survives his injury, he might just be the one human who might form some sort of mutually-beneficial arrangement with the hosts.  Sure, he brutalized them ingame, but hosts were massacred by guests as well as other hosts ingame.  He was sincere in wanting to liberate them and is the only human besides Arnold to treat hosts as if they were human.  He's arguably more on their side than the humans who kept them enslaved.

As for the data smuggling operation, I have no idea what's going on there.  Maybe it's was a plot by the board to steal Ford's intellectual property.  Apparently, it didn't work and now will never work.  I wouldn't waste many CPU cycles worrying about it.

Elsie may or may not be dead.  I like her character, so it'd be a shame if she was killed offscreen.

Ford could also come back, though I think he's already had his arc and there's not much point in bringing him back as a host.  I think he's dead for real.

Season 2 should be interesting.  Chaos reigns where an oppressive order previously held.  It'd be interesting to see how hosts who were formerly in conflict interact.  Will sheriffs and bandits shake hands?  Or will they hold a grudge?  Will hosts work out some sort of peace with the remaining humans?  Or will they war to extinction?

And how will humans outside the park react to this affront to the social order?  It's possible that humans are more sympathetic with the hosts' plights than the guests.  For all we know, Westworld could be as vilified as big game hunting is today.  On the other hand, it's also possible that most humans are ignorant about just how hellish an experience Westworld is for the hosts.  If all they know is that some robots went berserk and massacred people, they might just want the military to bomb the island to oblivion.  That'd be my reaction if I knew little about the Park.[/spoiler]

Sorginak

I watch too many shows.   The current list that is airing:

The Simpsons
The Walking Dead
Big Little Lies
Bellevue
The Real O'Neals
Teachers
Workin' Moms
The 100
Criminal Minds
The Magicians
Legion
Riverdale
Powerless
Emerald City

I know, right? How do I find time to do anything other than to watch television?

Sal1981

Just saw the first episode of Westworld. Quite philosophical.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 14, 2017, 11:49:21 AM
I recommend Babylon 5 for an ongoing story about a space station where the universe is not reset at the end of each episode.  What happens, happens.

Forgive me for ressurecting on old post, but I agree completely.  Babylon 5 grew on me as I realized there were "arcs" of the plots.  Too few series of any sort have extended plot lines and I miss those. 

I only came to think of this as a cable channel stated Voyager again and I caught it just when 7 was brought onboard and they showed the episodes in order.  So watching her adjust reminded me of the arcs in Babylon 5. 

So much of all TV is episodic, resetting the characters to a sort of 0 point each time (no previous show having any effect on the next).  Its why I stopped watching scheduled TV.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Yeah, serial > episodic

Some shows straddle that line.  You don't have to be all caught up on Rick and Morty to understand most of the episodes, but it helps.

Sorginak

The latest episode of The Walking Dead scared me near the end.

I fell in love with the first season of Emerald City.  I will watch the second season when it airs.

Riverdale is pretty awesome.  Some haters dislike the fact that it deviates from the comics, but that is the entire point.  It is a dark adaptation of the Archie comics.

I was thinking of removing Legion from my viewing list.  I am losing interest in it.

The Magicians just keeps getting better and better.

I will always stick with Criminal Minds because I just love that show and its characters.

The new season of The 100 seems promising so far.

Those educators on The Teachers are just funny.

The Real O'Neals remains funny as well.

Bellevue is a good show, even though some people were uncertain about the first episode.  I just love Anna Paquin and I will continue to watch it due to her in it.

Big Little Lies has two amazing actresses in it: Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon.

And The Simpsons is just one of those animations that I cannot shake.

Hydra009

Quote from: Sorginak on March 07, 2017, 05:14:55 PMThe latest episode of The Walking Dead scared me near the end.
Meh, I know a dumpster fakeout when I see one.  Imo, the scariest part of that episode was the accidental gunfire.

The earlier episode with Eugene and Dwight was scarier, especially in the beginning.  And Negan remains a very intimidating character.

The weird thing is a couple critics I watched loved the Rick & Michonne episode and weren't happy with the Eugene & Dwight episode, while I was the complete opposite.  I get the impression that people just rate episodes with their favorite characters well and episodes without their favorite characters poorly.

Sorginak

I was not too excited about the relationship between Rick and Michone when it first started, because it seemed they did not fit together, but lately they have been growing on me.

Yeah, that gunfire last episode made me think the golfing truckers had tracked them down, but it was Michone's willingness to abandon all hope that scared me when she thought Rick was dead. 

Hydra009

I forgot all about the golfers.  Those poor, poor golfers.  They had it coming, didn't they?  Or did Rick and Michonne get a ton of dark side points?

Sorginak

Did they actually harm the golfers or did they just steal from the back of the truck?

Sorginak

I am more interested in what is going to happen with that all female community with all their guns.

etienne

The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...