News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I was just channel-surfing youtube and I came across a video talking about undeveloped Star Trek series - TV shows that might have been.

Here's one idea set far in the future (post-TNG), humanity has grown complacent and the Federation is in decline.  Many of its members have either left or only give it nominal support.  There's corruption, discontent, and sectionalism.  Any of that sound familiar?

Things get worse.  A new enemy appears, strikes a couple colonies and leaves without a trace.  A Federation plagued by internal problems and an enigmatic external threat - the show looked like it could have delivered some of that excellent social commentary that Trek is known for.  Sadly, it never came to pass.

Now we're getting Star Trek Discovery, a TOS prequel, in May.  You know, for a show centered around the future, it sure seems stuck in the past.  Don't get me wrong, I want it to do well.  I need it to do well.  If it bombs, we might not get another one.  *raises a mug of warnog*  Here's to hoping that it's an unusually good prequel.

PopeyesPappy

History Channel's Vikings

[spoiler]So Ragnar is dead. Thrown into king Aelle‘s snake pit. The same fate as the Ragnar of legend and interestingly enough as Ernest Borgnine’s Ragnar character in the 1958 movie The Vikings also staring Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis, and Janet Leigh.

Ragnar's sons of legend have many adventures to come. The question is will the network continue the series after this season without Ragnar?[/spoiler]
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Hydra009

Vikings.

[spoiler]Yes, it will continue.  It has been renewed for a fifth season and season 4 isn't over yet.

The foreseeable future (or past, come to think of it) will focus on the raids carried out by the Great Heathen Army, led by three of Ragnar's sons: Halfdan, Ivar, and Ubba.  York (in Northumbria) is looking to reap the whirlwind.

I liked the death scene.  His argument with the seer was pretty interesting and harkened back to the former Earl of Kattegat's private religious doubts expressed to the same seer.  It was sad but also there was a degree of satisfaction because Ragnar chose where and when he would die and managed to save his son in the process.  That's a pretty good outcome for being shipwrecked and helpless in enemy territory.  I wish he could've worked out a better deal with King Ecbert, but such is life.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

I've been marathoning semi-historical classical/medieval shows lately, and I was wondering why there's such an abundance of Roman/British shows and a paltry amount about other people.

Wouldn't it be great to have a show about the Varangians? (vikings who settled in eastern Europe and modern-day Russia)  They wrecked the Khazars and rubbed elbows with the Byzantine emperor, Basil the Bulgar Slayer.  Now there's a bloody tale that could rival History Channel's the Vikings, which focuses on the vikings who raided England/France.

There are a ton of relatively obscure (at least to American audiences) parts of history that could make for amazing TV shows.  It'd certainly be welcome relief from the millionth Operation Overlord documentary, the latest in a long line of shows centered in England, and whatever reality TV garbage is currently festering on the withered husk of a channel ostensibly about history.

_Xenu_

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 02, 2017, 02:26:41 AM
I was just channel-surfing youtube and I came across a video talking about undeveloped Star Trek series - TV shows that might have been.

Here's one idea set far in the future (post-TNG), humanity has grown complacent and the Federation is in decline.  Many of its members have either left or only give it nominal support.  There's corruption, discontent, and sectionalism.  Any of that sound familiar?

Things get worse.  A new enemy appears, strikes a couple colonies and leaves without a trace.  A Federation plagued by internal problems and an enigmatic external threat - the show looked like it could have delivered some of that excellent social commentary that Trek is known for.  Sadly, it never came to pass.

Now we're getting Star Trek Discovery, a TOS prequel, in May.  You know, for a show centered around the future, it sure seems stuck in the past.  Don't get me wrong, I want it to do well.  I need it to do well.  If it bombs, we might not get another one.  *raises a mug of warnog*  Here's to hoping that it's an unusually good prequel.
I wish they would make another series centered around a station, like DS9, because that leads to more serialization instead of problem of the week type writing. If you watch DS9 all the way through, they never onced showed central engineering because most of the problems they dealt with were political. Also, I want to see what happens after the 24th century as well, but Star Trek seems to keep revisiting that and earlier times.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Hydra009

My reaction to the latest episode of Vikings:

They took things just a tad too far, imho.

Mr.Obvious

Only just started watching Stranger Things.
I like it, 4 and a half episodes in.
I think I went in with too high expectations though, as the first episode didn't really reel me in.
But from ep 2 on; bam. The kids have a great dynamic, and man; they can act. It's rare to see that  in kids that young.
Very well handled.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

trdsf

Quote from: _Xenu_ on January 13, 2017, 06:40:26 AM
I wish they would make another series centered around a station, like DS9, because that leads to more serialization instead of problem of the week type writing. If you watch DS9 all the way through, they never onced showed central engineering because most of the problems they dealt with were political. Also, I want to see what happens after the 24th century as well, but Star Trek seems to keep revisiting that and earlier times.
I recommend Babylon 5 for an ongoing story about a space station where the universe is not reset at the end of each episode.  What happens, happens.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Shiranu

Speaking of "Vikings" and what we would like to see, I would love to see a series with Western budgets doing something in India or China, either late Mughal in India (so the English could be involved) or in China as well. Their courts were just as insane, if not moreso, than ours in Europe.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Notthesun

Anyone here seen The Leftovers? I started it last year. Watched both seasons in a week. Absolutely stunning. I don't think a show has ever impacted my life more than that show. Holy fuck it moved me. My second favorite show of all time.
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 14, 2017, 06:33:13 AM
Only just started watching Stranger Things.
I like it, 4 and a half episodes in.
I think I went in with too high expectations though, as the first episode didn't really reel me in.
But from ep 2 on; bam. The kids have a great dynamic, and man; they can act. It's rare to see that  in kids that young.
Very well handled.
Great series.  I can't wait for season 2.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 14, 2017, 10:00:36 PM
Great series.  I can't wait for season 2.

I was trying to find something witty to say.
But I just finished the first season.
And Halloween never seemed so far away.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

marom1963

Recently I discovered the series Shameless: I feel like I know those people! I've been reveling in their seedy exploits  :pirate:
family emergency, everybody pulling together in a plot -
younger brother: But I don't have a bicycle!
elder brother: The clippers are in the junk drawer ...
So, naturally, the younger brother uses the clippers to steal a bicycle! There are no excuses for letting the family down!
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Solomon Zorn

I just finished watching Westworld over the weekend.

Blew my mind, with a six-shooter...literally.

Some fantastic storytelling, and a couple of truly unexpected twists, made for one hell of a ride.

I heard they aren't doing another season, right away. I'm not sure where they would go with it, from here.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

trdsf

The long national nightmare is over -- on April 14, Mystery Science Theater 3000 returns with an all new season!

Not known yet if Netflix is going to tease them out a week at a time or do a series dump.  Most betting is on 'series dump'.  Don't care.  New MST3K.  Couldn't be happier.  Well, I could be, but that wouldn't involve TV.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan