News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

It's pretty interesting. Very well done. In one scene near the end, an actor has to sit naked in a chair, facing Anthony Hopkins, and do a really intense act, as a robot who is having a malfunction, possibly becoming sentient.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Hydra009

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on November 13, 2016, 07:03:57 AM
Just watched the pilot episode of Westworld. Awesome. Anthony Hopkins plays a major role. I plan on watching the second episode today.
QFT.  Ed Harris is amazing, too.

For anyone who isn't familiar with Westworld, it's a really great show that I unfortunately can't discuss much without spoiling the hell out of it.  My spoiler-free synopsis is that it's like Deadwood mixed with Fallout 4.

[spoiler]So what would you guys do if you visited Westworld?  I think I already know the two most common answers, both of which heavily involve flesh, but that's unfulfilling imo.  Here's what I would do: I would explore Westword from one end to the other, survey its landscape, interview its people, and steadily learn all its secrets.[/spoiler]

Solomon Zorn

Watched the second episode of Westworld.[spoiler] Ed Harris' character is disturbing. I'm wondering about his motives.

A little of the dialogue seemed to be rushing the plot along. They need to show rather than tell, about the corporate interests, for example.

The gore effects are really outstanding, and not over the top like in some crap these days.[/spoiler]

Solomon Zorn

Back in 1999, Frank Miller's and Geoff Darrow's Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot, became an animated series. I taped it, at the time, on VHS, but they are not very high quality tapes.

They were good enough, though, for me to watch them, and Silver Surfer, another great Fox animated series, years later, with my great nephew. Big Guy and Rusty went for 26 episodes, and Silver Surfer went for 13.

I just discovered that both have been released on DVD this year. My question is...DVD...why? I need a Blu-Ray disc! :blank:

Hydra009

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on November 15, 2016, 04:44:22 PMWatched the second episode of Westworld.
Just caught the latest episode.  I didn't know if I'd really get into it until about episode 5.  Episode 6 cemented it.  It's a keeper.

When you get caught up, check out the theories.  Some of the fan speculations blew my mind.

GSOgymrat

I finally got around to binge watching Stranger Things. Very good show.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on November 18, 2016, 01:32:52 AMI finally got around to binge watching Stranger Things. Very good show.
I watched one episode a day until about halfway through, then I watched it all one night.  It just gets so good.  I'm jonesing for season 2 so bad.

Shiranu

Westworld. Oh my god, HBO, calm down with the outstanding series.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on November 18, 2016, 07:17:08 AM
Westworld. Oh my god, HBO, calm down with the outstanding series.
I know, right?

The craziest thing about the series is that aside from a few glimpses of a train station, we have absolutely no idea of what things are like in the world outside the facility.  Or even if there's an outside world.

In fact, the guests for the facility arrive by train in an eeriely similar manner as the Westworld guests arrive by locomotive...

SGOS

For what it's worth, and freely admitting it's irrelevant anyway, in the movie, I believe the actual arrival into West World was by stage coach.  The general area, Delos, consisted of three different theme parks separated by what looked a lot like California desert and had underground passageways between them.  I assume it was not a long walk over the barrens between the theme parks.  Presumably, the main characters escaped the sheriff by running outside the West World theme area, although there was no clear boundary around West World.  It just kind of transitioned into no man's land.

I am really looking forward to the HBO version.  The prospect of such a theme park captured my imagination when I first saw that movie.  And Michael Crichten became locked in my mind as some kind of creative genius who expanded the idea of a theme park gone wild into the Jurassic Park phenomenon.  Of the two movies, West World captured my imagination much more.  I don't want to dis Jurassic Park.  It was a wonderful movie.  But Jurassic Park was more like a zoo where you drive around gawking at dinosaurs, and eventually get caught in a park disaster. 

In West World you start out as participants in the park theme, rather than passive observers.  You are much more an integral part of the park itself, relating to other visitors, as well as the robots in one adult version of an imaginary children's game.  Even at my age, I have to ask myself, how much would I be willing to pay to experience such an opportunity to participate in such a grand version of make believe?  I might wipe out my entire savings for such fun.  Although, if things got out of hand, I'd want a refund.

Cavebear

I would rather put my money in a garden I can enjoy all year.  I can only envision myself in movies as the "security guard who dies first"...  Any movie, anywhere.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

GSOgymrat

We are in the middle of watching The Crown on Netflix. Other than touring British landmarks, I have never been very interested in the Monarchy but this series is well written and has excellent acting.

Hydra009

Vikings is back!

Things are kinda slow since the timeskip forward, but it looks like things will pick up soon.

PickelledEggs

Been watching HBO's OZ. Incredible series, almost done with season 2

SGOS

While I only watch DVDs a year after a series airs, I'll just add that have watched Better Call Saul with intense interest.  It's only 10 episodes per year, and I just received year 2 last week from Amazon.  Then I limited myself to two episodes per day, and 5 days later I'm finished.  Now I have to wait another year for the next set of DVDs.  But of course I'll rewatch the first 20 episodes a couple of times before then.  The last episode was a cliff hanger, but I'm confident Slippin' Jimmy Saul will slide through it with barely a scratch.  His older brother is the moral epicenter of virtue, but the more I get to know him, he seems like he's the real dick in the family, not Shady Slippin' Jimmy.