News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

First disappointment about The Expanse:

[spoiler]White people are still in the the majority in 23rd century? Pffft. They should have cast nonwhite-asian fetaured people all over the place, in Mars or Earth or Belt or wherever. At least put more Nonwhites and Asians. It's silly. [/spoiler]
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

LoriPinkAngel

There are so many shows I don't get to see because I only have cable with no extras.

stromboli

I started watching the Expanse and liked it, but then I got the books and started reading. Haven't seen the last two episodes and I'm already way ahead in the books, on the second volume. I won't ruin it for you, but the story arc is way different than I thought it would be. Stick around, it will get interesting. I pretty much lost interest in the TV series.

There are a lot of mixed race characters in the book, but still too many white people. By that time in the future we should be a much more blended race than now. The Belters in the books are very much a mixed lot. What is also good about the books is they emphasize the physical differences that would occur from people living on earth and others in low gravity. The Belters speak a patois of mixed languages and they are tall and slender, which they would be in low gravity. Also the authors do a very good job of creating a political and cultural climate that is realistic. And the battles are realistic, not Star Trek zap em' with Phasers kind of stuff.

As far as realism, the Expanse does a better job than most of presenting a realistic near future environment. Some aspects of it I don't like, but I'll keep reading.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: stromboli on January 13, 2016, 11:08:01 AM
I started watching the Expanse and liked it, but then I got the books and started reading. Haven't seen the last two episodes and I'm already way ahead in the books, on the second volume. I won't ruin it for you, but the story arc is way different than I thought it would be. Stick around, it will get interesting. I pretty much lost interest in the TV series.

There are a lot of mixed race characters in the book, but still too many white people. By that time in the future we should be a much more blended race than now. The Belters in the books are very much a mixed lot. What is also good about the books is they emphasize the physical differences that would occur from people living on earth and others in low gravity. The Belters speak a patois of mixed languages and they are tall and slender, which they would be in low gravity. Also the authors do a very good job of creating a political and cultural climate that is realistic. And the battles are realistic, not Star Trek zap em' with Phasers kind of stuff.

As far as realism, the Expanse does a better job than most of presenting a realistic near future environment. Some aspects of it I don't like, but I'll keep reading.

OK. I already liked it.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

A couple morally questionable moments in TV shows that I thought I'd share:

In Star Wars Rebels, the rebels get captured and taken aboard an imperial ship.  Inevitably, they spring out of jail and take out the guards.  A stormtrooper has Ezra's lightsaber on his belt.  Ezra activates it and the stormtrooper freaks out, which is understandable given that there's a very hot, very sharp object in extremely close proximity to his groin.  Ezra retrieves his lightsaber and chops the terrified stormtrooper's gun in half and says something to the effect of "Calm down, I'm not going to hurt you."  The rebels clear off the ship and subsequently blow it up, certainly killing everyone aboard, including the previously spared stormtrooper.  Our heroes, ladies and gentlemen.  They won't kill you in cold blood, but they will blow you up.  Seems like a trivial difference.

In X-Men, humans who helped save Wolverine's life get arrested by some government anti-mutant agency, which inexplicably jails them alongside mutant prisoners.  Wolverine springs them from jail, and then springs everyone from jail.  And most of the inmates are mutants and we have no idea if they were justly or unjustly jailed.  For all we know, Wolverine just let out Magneto, Apocalypse, and Mister Sinister.  We just don't know.  Once again, pretty questionable heroics.

josephpalazzo

I'm watching "Manhattan". Not completely a loyal depiction of the true events, but it does capture the era. The main character is a composite of different scientists working on the bomb. Oppenheimer is depicted as a creep, don't know how realistic that is. The series has its bag of secrecy, lies and betrayals but its main focus is on the moral dilemma that these scientists were facing at the time -creating a bomb that would change forever the political landscape and also making them in the process monsters.

trdsf

Quote from: LoriPinkAngel on January 13, 2016, 10:50:25 AM
There are so many shows I don't get to see because I only have cable with no extras.
I haven't had cable in ten years, and I have yet to see a show come along that makes me miss it.  The only thing at this point that could make me get cable again is if the new MST3K is picked up by a network and isn't easily available to watch online.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

Like with Steven Universe, I was late to begin watching Gravity Falls.

Now i'm like -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJI_NIrWnK4
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

drunkenshoe

Does anyone have anything on comedy? Not sitcom, but tv series.

Draconic Aiur

Supernatural's cool they have rock n roll and demon chicks hell they even had angel chicks with a sex scene!

Draconic Aiur

Merlin was good but it ended

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on February 06, 2016, 03:43:49 AM
Supernatural's cool they have rock n roll and demon chicks hell they even had angel chicks with a sex scene!

I have seen it, except the the last 2 seasons. It was my old soap. I have seen little of Merlin, but didn't get hooked.

I wish we got something really funny and different.

Mr.Obvious

Merlin had it's moments, but for some reason it always seemed like I wasn't watching the show itself, but rather a fanfic of the show.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

I'd be interested in Better Call Saul.  He was my favorite Character in Breaking Bad, but I don't have Television.

drunkenshoe

I have just started Breaking Bad yesterday for the first time. I am at S2 E3 right now. I love it.