News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilodelta

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Plus "Kyle, my guitar, gently weeps." What?
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

peacewithoutgod

Game of Thrones is the only fantasy-themed show which I have really taken an interest in other than the Star Wars saga, mostly because it deals more with the grim realities of medieval politics, and the influence which religion has on this. The books are excellently written, if a bit long, and although I've read them all at least once, I still look forward to the show when it resumes.

Also I have been tracking The Americans, Homeland, Archer, Better Call Saul, House of Cards, and Real Time.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Hydra009

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on September 15, 2015, 12:51:46 PMGame of Thrones is the only fantasy-themed show which I have really taken an interest in other than the Star Wars saga, mostly because it deals more with the grim realities of medieval politics, and the influence which religion has on this. The books are excellently written, if a bit long, and although I've read them all at least once, I still look forward to the show when it resumes.
I actually don't know of any non-GoT fantasy-themed tv shows at all except for Legend of the Seeker, which was pretty okay.  I guess it depends on how you define fantasy, which I take to mean a medieval setting with swords and sorcery.

While nothing can really match GoT, I've liked Vikings and Rome, two shows that sort of have a similar format.

drunkenshoe

Has anyone seen this? The pilot is out.

Our lucifer gives the finger to the upstairs and takes a vacation in LA and after an incident decides to solve crimes with a former actress hot chick dedective. And of course, he speaks with a British accent.  :rotflmao:  Looks like it could be a new dumb soap to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4bF_quwNtw

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 15, 2015, 02:49:33 PM
Has anyone seen this? The pilot is out.

Our lucifer gives the finger to the upstairs and takes a vacation in LA and after an incident decides to solve crimes with a former actress hot chick dedective. And of course, he speaks with a British accent.  :rotflmao:  Looks like it could be a new dumb soap to watch.

It doesn't look very faithful to it's source material.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

drunkenshoe

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 17, 2015, 12:49:54 PM
It doesn't look very faithful to it's source material.

So, I have heard. I haven't read the comics (yet).

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/How-Lucifer-Going-Different-From-Comic-Books-73477.html

QuoteIf you’re coming to Lucifer to see the comic book, you are not going to see it. Let it go.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 17, 2015, 01:19:01 PM
So, I have heard. I haven't read the comics (yet).

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/How-Lucifer-Going-Different-From-Comic-Books-73477.html

I will be taking a pass on this one because. Imagine if they made a Sandman tv show where Morpheus is some sort of hipster detective
 William S. Burroughs

drunkenshoe

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 17, 2015, 02:44:49 PM
I will be taking a pass on this one because. Imagine if they made a Sandman tv show where Morpheus is some sort of hipster detective

Murder and mayhem would ensue in a global scale! And I would support it. They wouldn't daaaare!

I think they find Lucifer more suitable to play with as it's a spin off. Death and Lucifer feels more like Gaiman's way of keeping the sandman lot happy because it was wanted too much. Could they play Death the same way? Don't think so, she is family.

Yes, it is unfair to the work, but it is Hollywood, so who knows what will they choose fuck over next. Money.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 15, 2015, 01:58:18 PM
I actually don't know of any non-GoT fantasy-themed tv shows at all except for Legend of the Seeker, which was pretty okay.  I guess it depends on how you define fantasy, which I take to mean a medieval setting with swords and sorcery.

While nothing can really match GoT, I've liked Vikings and Rome, two shows that sort of have a similar format.
On "fantasy", I tend to lump in tales of vampires, zombies, and werewolves because they've been moving more toward fantasy than horror. Another format they now combine is the soap opera...WTFE, take your pick of those themes, the volume of such series are boundless, and I can do without any of them.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Hydra009

I tend to lump all that stuff together under speculative fiction, and then assign subcategories as needed.  True, a lot of series with zombies/vampires/werewolves aren't horror as it is normally understood (intended to frighten)

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 17, 2015, 03:27:10 PM
Murder and mayhem would ensue in a global scale! And I would support it. They wouldn't daaaare!

I think they find Lucifer more suitable to play with as it's a spin off. Death and Lucifer feels more like Gaiman's way of keeping the sandman lot happy because it was wanted too much. Could they play Death the same way? Don't think so, she is family.

Yes, it is unfair to the work, but it is Hollywood, so who knows what will they choose fuck over next. Money.

I am kinda hoping that the DC Cinema Universe does include the Endless in some way. In fact I think they should be included if not that then let the DC Television Universe include them. I would love to see Destiny show up on Arrow (Constantine is coming back on Arrow by the way). But just do it right, it is all I ask...respect the source material.
 William S. Burroughs

Draconic Aiur

Im at season 8 of supernatural

drunkenshoe

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 18, 2015, 12:40:17 AM
I am kinda hoping that the DC Cinema Universe does include the Endless in some way. In fact I think they should be included if not that then let the DC Television Universe include them. I would love to see Destiny show up on Arrow (Constantine is coming back on Arrow by the way). But just do it right, it is all I ask...respect the source material.

They will. But I don't want to see Endless mixed up with others honestly. They can make spin offs with one by one or include them within some other fantasy I don't care. The should make Sandman first. I also think that is a good way respecting the source material.

Shiranu

Binging Stargate Atlantis now... I remembered watching it as a kid and going back... I think it's good in a very nostalgia way.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on December 27, 2015, 08:37:27 PM
Binging Stargate Atlantis now... I remembered watching it as a kid and going back... I think it's good in a very nostalgia way.
Oh man, I must've watched that series three times over, it was that good.  I liked how it had a separate but not completely disconnected existence from SG1 - so it can have its own setting and events but still draw upon Stargate lore (and occasionally, personnel).  I liked its general aesthetic - the sleek and high-tech Atlantis and Vancouver forest was really easy on the eyes.  And unlike SG1, it actually had the budget for great CGI.

The main cast was superb and had great chemistry.  Even the banter between Shepherd and Rodney was enjoyable.  They had some great moments together.

It had amazing villains.  The Wraith.  The Genii.  The Replicators.  Michael.  Todd (sorta).

Favorite episode by far:  Mortal Coil.  It really humanized the Replicators.  :P

Did it have its flaws?  Totally.  As soon as Teyla got knocked up, her character did a nosedive.  They did this ridiculous "but Teyla, you can't go on the mission! What about the baby?" stuff over and over again.  Most of the romance was fucking horrid, almost soap operaish at times.  I hated Lucious Lavin and was pretty underwhelmed by the Travelers.  The final confrontation with Michael was stupid.  The last season was really off in general, I don't know exactly how to describe it, but it felt off.  And the series finale was a goddamn trainwreck.

Despite its flaws, it was still the best scifi show on television for at least a couple years, imho.