Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eylul

aww do you have any questions? [emoji14]

PJS

Finished all five seasons of The Wire recently. The show takes on big issues associated with urban America in a realistic and dark way. Somehow it doesn't depress but is incredibly intense and well worth watching. I can't think of a better or more important American drama. The character development and unfolding narratives are masterpieces. Each year takes a different slice of a city (Baltimore) but all themes intertwine.
The path of least resistance and least trouble is a mental rut already made. It requires troublesome work to undertake the alternation of old beliefs.
-John Dewey

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 15, 2015, 03:08:56 AM
I just realized that the guy who plays the 12th Doctor was in The Fires of Pompeii episode as a native.  Wow.
They said that they are going to keep that in mind and somehow work that in to the story. Plus, Karen Gillen, the girl that played Amy Pond is also in that episode.

Solitary

I've been watching a BBC series called Father Brown. Worth watching. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Shiranu

Watching "The Tudors"... so, so very good.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on January 19, 2015, 05:28:30 PM
Watching "The Tudors"... so, so very good.
What channel is that on? I heard it was really good from a few different people.

Shiranu

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 19, 2015, 06:04:57 PM
What channel is that on? I heard it was really good from a few different people.

Eh... the internet? :P

No but I think ShowTime. It's several years old now, but it's been really good... alot of European social-maneuvering and plotting and what not.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on January 19, 2015, 06:11:16 PM
Eh... the internet? [emoji14]

No but I think ShowTime. It's several years old now, but it's been really good... alot of European social-maneuvering and plotting and what not.
I have that channel. Lol

Sent from your mom.

Mermaid

Downton Abbey!? Nobody else?

It's fantastic.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

SGOS

Quote from: Mermaid on January 19, 2015, 08:22:49 PM
Downton Abbey!? Nobody else?

I love it.  I don't have TV so I watch it as soon as last season's DVDs are released.  I wait all year for this to happen, and  then I watch the whole season in one day.  Then I re-watch the whole series a week later, and then try to find some way to occupy myself for another year.

Shiranu

I hear alot about it, but have never gotten around to watching it. Is it pre- or post- World Wars?

PickelledEggs

I actually really enjoyed Downtown Abbey for the first couple episodes I watched... but then I started Orphan Black and immediately forgot about Downtown Abbey

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on January 20, 2015, 02:36:53 PM
I hear alot about it, but have never gotten around to watching it. Is it pre- or post- World Wars?
It starts before WWI, and overlaps the war for a couple of seasons.  The war ends and things at the Abbey go back to normal, which involves saving the Abbey and the aristocratic way of life that is threatened by modern times.

By the way, this is not a scenario that presents the aristocracy as evil.  The Downton Abbey family is actually quite wonderful and well liked by the servants who the owners of the Abbey feel a deep sense of responsibility for.  Of course, everyone is influenced by Victorian ideals that continually create problems with reality, and various social issues of the time period form sub plots throughout the series. 

gussy

I'm going to heap a little more praise on The Wire.  I just finished it too and had to watch it again.  It takes place in Baltimore but it could be any city that has been experiencing urban decay.  It follows the police, drug dealers, white working class unions, politicians, schools and newspapers.  It is a window into these organizations that gives you an idea of their true workings.  It isn't pretty and the "good guys" rarely win but there are enough satisfying moments that it doesn't become too depressing.  Sometimes the story lines can get a little confusing but this is done intentionally.  Reading a Wiki recap of the episode afterwards can clear up any confusion.  Definitely worth the investment of time tough. 

gussy

New episodes of The Trailer Park Boys on Netflix.  After a long hiatus this show is back. Most of the cast is back too.  The formula is the same, the boys trying to stay out of jail while doing just about everything to get thrown back in.  It's on pay TV and the censorship is pretty much nonexistent this time around.  It can get a little greasy but sometimes life is greasy.