News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 14, 2015, 09:24:22 PM
I wonder why that is why I don't like Capaldi....

That's the great thing about the show, there's pretty much a Doctor for everyone.  I think Capaldi has great potential... but he hasn't lived up to it yet.  That's more an issue with the scripts than it is the performer -- the scripting was why I came to dislike the Tennant era, not the actor.

I'd like to see the show return to its old system of having a producer and a separate script editor.  We know Moff and Mark Gatiss work well together (Exhibit A: Sherlock) -- that might be a solution.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

PickelledEggs

Quote from: trdsf on January 14, 2015, 09:54:52 PM
That's the great thing about the show, there's pretty much a Doctor for everyone.  I think Capaldi has great potential... but he hasn't lived up to it yet.  That's more an issue with the scripts than it is the performer -- the scripting was why I came to dislike the Tennant era, not the actor.

I'd like to see the show return to its old system of having a producer and a separate script editor.  We know Moff and Mark Gatiss work well together (Exhibit A: Sherlock) -- that might be a solution.
That is true. Everyone has a different doctor that they have as their favorite. I personally liked Matt Smith's doctor over the popular choice of Tennant's 10th doctor, but hey... lol I do like the new master though. She's pretty nuts as she is supposed to be.

Hydra009

I liked David Tennant slightly more than Matt Smith.  But Matt Smith really grew on me.  I loved seeing them onscreen together.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 15, 2015, 01:27:57 AM
I liked David Tennant slightly more than Matt Smith.  But Matt Smith really grew on me.  I loved seeing them onscreen together.
Matt Smith officially became my favorite with this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUZ50cAk_Lk

Hydra009

I just realized that the guy who plays the 12th Doctor was in The Fires of Pompeii episode as a native.  Wow.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 21, 2014, 01:52:00 AM
And what's more, the Cybermen make their grand return.  I've always liked them.  They're very dispassionate and no-nonsense villains.  They destroy and assimilate.  They can curbstomp any army on the world and they're hilariously logical and matter-of-fact.  They're not too bright, but that doesn't matter when they have a good leader.  There's just so much about them that's strangely likeable rather than horrifying.  Sign me up for an upgrade!  *cranks up The Lion Sleeps Tonight and takes his place in the queue, marching in time with the song*

I always thought the originalmost Cybermen were the creepiest -- when they spoke, the actor would just drop their mouth open and then they would dub in a slightly frotzed monotone.  Very effective -- they did some very clever things back when they Beeb only gave them an effects budget of 6d... and expected change.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

wolf39us

Quote from: Jutter on September 08, 2014, 03:59:32 PM
Breaking Bad lives up to the hype. Great series. Best dramady I've seen since St Elsewhere.

This show was absolutely amazing.  I would recommend to anyone!

Desdinova

Quote from: wolf39us on January 15, 2015, 10:22:44 AM
This show was absolutely amazing.  I would recommend to anyone!

Tell me about it.  I binge watched for about a month.  Once I finished it I had withdrawal symptoms.  Funny thing about this show is that it makes you feel so damned uncomfortable at times.  You almost fell like you shouldn't be watching but you HAVE to just to see what happens next.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

SGOS

I'm binge watching Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis for the third time.  That's 15 years of episodes.  SG1 starts slow with some mundane episodes covering political issues that would seem more appropriate when the series started, but the episodes become more creative as the series progresses and keeps gaining strength through the last year.  I love how the false gods of primitive societies in the series so closely reflect the gods of Earth that are in vogue today.  The series constantly slams the ignorance involved in worshiping higher powers and probes the psychology of belief systems.  I'm guessing such insights would be censored by TV executives today.  I'll bet a dollar the writers were atheists. 

Hydra009

I really liked SG-1 and Atlantis, too.  The funny thing is, I snubbed SG-1 for years because it seemed like low-budget crap for its first few seasons.  I think it was season 4 that I finally got into it. 

I also thought the premise was a bit odd.  I mean, millions of people worshiping someone posing as a divine being and turning hostile the moment you speak against their belief?  Where do they come up with this stuff!

Atlantis was much better show, imho.  Less budget problems, a fresh setting, a more regular cast (looking at you, Michael Shanks) and Canadian know-how.  :P

Shiranu

I'm just going to throw it out that I really did not care for Breaking Bad... it was okay, but way over hyped. To each their own.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

QuoteI really liked SG-1 and Atlantis, too.  The funny thing is, I snubbed SG-1 for years because it seemed like low-budget crap for its first few seasons.  I think it was season 4 that I finally got into it. 

I also thought the premise was a bit odd.  I mean, millions of people worshiping someone posing as a divine being and turning hostile the moment you speak against their belief?  Where do they come up with this stuff!

Atlantis was much better show, imho.  Less budget problems, a fresh setting, a more regular cast (looking at you, Michael Shanks) and Canadian know-how.  :P

Yes, around season four they started to hit their stride, and during this last time through, I was paying attention trying to determine the point where it starts to take off.  It's more like a transition.  I could never name a particular episode.  It's just a crew finding their way.

And odd it is for sure.  You've got aliens with advanced technology like space ships and advanced weapons (but no aiming devices), and most of the time, they are living in tents and wearing animals skins and burlap with iron breast plates.  Huh?  I think what makes these incongruities tolerable is that the writing and the cast don't make any pretense at taking the whole thing seriously.  Some of the romantic interludes are loaded with sap to the point where I'll roll my eyes, and some of the episodes that are devoted to humor almost border on slapstick.  But through it all, it's still an engaging series that has a serious side to it in spite of all the "Aw, come on now" liberties it takes.

SG1 ran for 10 years, and while it was on, I never watched it.  I missed SG Atlantis, too.  I think I knew about them, but never bothered watching.  Atlantis has more polish and higher production values.  The Wraith that feed on humans are bit over the top for aliens, but the writers create interesting scenarios with them and thereby do a good job of salvaging something that tests the limits of believability.

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on January 15, 2015, 02:34:53 PM
I'm just going to throw it out that I really did not care for Breaking Bad... it was okay, but way over hyped. To each their own.
Yes, nothing is going to be liked by everyone.  But having said that, I thought it was a work of art.  Although, I hated just about every character the writers created, at least at one time or another.  I finally ended up liking Jesse, even though he was a total loser, and I liked Walter White eventually, but I wanted to throttle both of them for never being able to do anything right for the first few episodes.  Oh wait.  I liked the shyster lawyer, Saul.  I always liked him.  Every episode he was in, was better for having him in it.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on January 15, 2015, 02:45:58 PMYou've got aliens with advanced technology like space ships and advanced weapons (but no aiming devices), and most of the time, they are living in tents and wearing animals skins and burlap with iron breast plates.  Huh?  I think what makes these incongruities tolerable is that the writing and the cast don't make any pretense at taking the whole thing seriously.
What I loved about the Goa'uld was having a bunch of braziers in a space ship perfectly capable of electric lighting.  They had style.

And one thing that irked me is they have Teal'c say that the Christian God couldn't have been a Goa'uld.  Because he most definitely could have been.  "I am your celestial father!  Love me more than even your own family!  You shall have no other god before me!"  Killing off the rival Baal worshippers makes total sense.  Jesus could've been a subservient Goa'uld who broke away from his Father and was captured and executed.  And all the good stuff was from a Tok'ra who impersonated him before he could be revived or "ressurrected".

QuoteSG1 ran for 10 years, and while it was on, I never watched it.  I missed SG Atlantis, too.  I think I knew about them, but never bothered watching.  Atlantis has more polish and higher production values.  The Wraith that feed on humans are bit over the top for aliens, but the writers create interesting scenarios with them and thereby do a good job of salvaging something that tests the limits of believability.
I liked the Wraith because they aren't evil for the hell of it, they have to feed on humans or they will die.  And they don't view what they're doing as wrong any more than we'd view having a steak as wrong.

That and I really liked Ford.

Desdinova

Did anyone ever catch Deadwood on HBO?  I've been watching it on Amazon and really like it.  I don't ever remember it being on back in the mid 2000's.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate