News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Yeah I just finished season 2 of orphan black. AMAZING.

I recommend it

PJS

Over the summer I watched the entire Six Feet Under series. I thoroughly enjoyed most episodes. Currently watching the first year of The Wire and I am getting hooked.
The path of least resistance and least trouble is a mental rut already made. It requires troublesome work to undertake the alternation of old beliefs.
-John Dewey

Desdinova

been watching a lot of soccer lately.  also louie.  football season is here so i will watch that as well.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

josephpalazzo

Lately, I've been watching, Under the Dome. Even though I missed the entire season 1, it's pretty easy to get into. The negative side: I find no particular character interesting; the positive side: Stephen King has kept the tempo just about right to keep up with the intrigue. So I'll be watching for a little while to see if it builds up nicely.

Hydra009

Doctor Who's off to a pretty rocky start this season.  I really, really liked David Tennant and Matt Smith.  They were wacky, adventurous Doctors and the actors seemed to have a real yen for the role.  The 12th doctor just seems befuddled and sullen with none of the charm the character is known for.  And the writing has noticeably gone downhill.  I think I'm going to call it quits on the series for a while.

Solitary

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 07, 2014, 01:46:23 PM
Lately, I've been watching, Under the Dome. Even though I missed the entire season 1, it's pretty easy to get into. The negative side: I find no particular character interesting; the positive side: Stephen King has kept the tempo just about right to keep up with the intrigue. So I'll be watching for a little while to see if it builds up nicely.
It is interesting with intriguing plot twists.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 07, 2014, 02:02:18 PM
Doctor Who's off to a pretty rocky start this season.  I really, really liked David Tennant and Matt Smith.  They were wacky, adventurous Doctors and the actors seemed to have a real yen for the role.  The 12th doctor just seems befuddled and sullen with none of the charm the character is known for.  And the writing has noticeably gone downhill.  I think I'm going to call it quits on the series for a while.
I only saw the first episode so far this season. I hope the writing picks up...

I'm not sure how I feel about the new Doctor's character yet, so I won't say anything about that. I was a HUGE fan of Matt Smith's character and also a pretty big fan of Tennant's Doctor. I guess we will see how the rest of the season plays out.

antediluvian

"The Overlander" STARZ.   Checkitout
I always wondered why having balls was equated with "strength".  Balls are sensitive and delicate, actually.   Better to grow a vagina.  Those things can take a pounding - and pop out a live human being the size of a watermelon.

Jutter

Breaking Bad lives up to the hype. Great series. Best dramady I've seen since St Elsewhere.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Shiranu

Seeing Overlander, watching Outlander from Starz. It's pretty good, English woman get's teleported back from 1940s Post-ww2 England into 1740's or so Scotland, right before the Jacobite uprising. It's mostly a culture clash where this strong, independent woman who was a combat medic is now having to blend into this very macho, misogynistic culture that is at war with "her" people.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

I started seeing Brooklyn nine nine.
It's hilarious, but for some reason, I can't watch an entire episode in one go. Perhaps sometimes it's just a bit too ridiculous for my taste.
Would recommend though.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

So I binged Doctor Who to see if it got any better.

After some really, really horrible episodes...  (Seriously, if I showed a complete newbie the Robots Of Sherwood or Listen, they would probably never watch the show again.  The TARDIS is essentially an infinite adventure seed - you can write whatever conflict you want literally anywhere/anywhen and have the Doctor get caught up in it - practically limitless potential wasted on really underwhelming episodes featuring Robin Hood then the Boogieman.  And really, evolution makes perfect predators and perfect hiders now?!  *Charles Darwin spinning in his grave*)

...THE SHOW GETS BETTER!

From Flatline to the finale is golden.  I think my main issue was that it's such a dreadfully cantankerous and unlikable Doctor, underwhelming villains, and complete lack of an overarching plot.  There's no real mystery or epicness, there's just stuff not happening then occasionally happening then it's over.  Woo hoo.  But thankfully, that all changed.

In Flatline, the Doctor is indisposed and Clara Oswald is trying to save the world against some actually pretty strange and unnerving alien invaders.  Then there's an okay episode involving lots and lots of trees.  Then there's the two-part finale, the very first episode this season that actually got me excited:

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxeoLhLdqnQ[/spoiler]

And what's more, the Cybermen make their grand return.  I've always liked them.  They're very dispassionate and no-nonsense villains.  They destroy and assimilate.  They can curbstomp any army on the world and they're hilariously logical and matter-of-fact.  They're not too bright, but that doesn't matter when they have a good leader.  There's just so much about them that's strangely likeable rather than horrifying.  Sign me up for an upgrade!  *cranks up The Lion Sleeps Tonight and takes his place in the queue, marching in time with the song*

trdsf

Doctor Who and QI.

I really like (or at least want to like) Capaldi, but I'm still far more a fan of Classic Who than I am of New Who.  I haven't seen the last several episodes of this season, but things seemed to be (finally) turning around.

Then again, after 'Kill the Moon', they HAD to get better, since that is a serious contender for the title of the single worst episode in the entire 51 year history of the show.

QI remains strong and just gets better year after year (though I dislike this year's bonus topic).

Outside of those two I stick with my DVDs, and BBC Radio 4.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

_Xenu_

Just finished rewatching Buffy not too long ago. Now watching Sons of Anarchy on Netflix.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 21, 2014, 01:52:00 AM
So I binged Doctor Who to see if it got any better.

After some really, really horrible episodes...  (Seriously, if I showed a complete newbie the Robots Of Sherwood or Listen, they would probably never watch the show again.  The TARDIS is essentially an infinite adventure seed - you can write whatever conflict you want literally anywhere/anywhen and have the Doctor get caught up in it - practically limitless potential wasted on really underwhelming episodes featuring Robin Hood then the Boogieman.  And really, evolution makes perfect predators and perfect hiders now?!  *Charles Darwin spinning in his grave*)

...THE SHOW GETS BETTER!

From Flatline to the finale is golden.  I think my main issue was that it's such a dreadfully cantankerous and unlikable Doctor, underwhelming villains, and complete lack of an overarching plot.  There's no real mystery or epicness, there's just stuff not happening then occasionally happening then it's over.  Woo hoo.  But thankfully, that all changed.

In Flatline, the Doctor is indisposed and Clara Oswald is trying to save the world against some actually pretty strange and unnerving alien invaders.  Then there's an okay episode involving lots and lots of trees.  Then there's the two-part finale, the very first episode this season that actually got me excited:

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxeoLhLdqnQ[/spoiler]

And what's more, the Cybermen make their grand return.  I've always liked them.  They're very dispassionate and no-nonsense villains.  They destroy and assimilate.  They can curbstomp any army on the world and they're hilariously logical and matter-of-fact.  They're not too bright, but that doesn't matter when they have a good leader.  There's just so much about them that's strangely likeable rather than horrifying.  Sign me up for an upgrade!  *cranks up The Lion Sleeps Tonight and takes his place in the queue, marching in time with the song*

It's something you have to watch and invest in. Once you get in a groove of watching Doctor Who, it really grows on you. Ironically, that is the reason I don't really care about it anymore. They've taken so long to make new episodes. They do one a week for a few weeks and then the show is MIA for a the rest of the year.

I wonder why that is why I don't like Capaldi....

on another note, I just started binge watching 1992's Batman The Animated Series