Author Topic: TV Series Thread  (Read 17228 times)

Offline Sorginak

Re: TV Series Thread
« Reply #240 on: April 23, 2017, 09:16:38 AM »
Rotten Tomatoes lists Dr Who as the longest running TV series (36 seasons).

The original Doctor Who is twenty-six seasons long.  I only watched two seasons of the original before I somewhat lost interest.  Also, when there are forty episodes per season it is harder to find the time to catch up on it.  Not to mention the fact that some of the episodes were lost and one has to watch still pictures that accompany the audio that actually did somehow survive. 

The new Doctor Who is currently on its tenth season and I have seen every episode. 

Offline Sorginak

« Reply #241 on: April 24, 2017, 09:26:19 PM »
The Leftovers is one of those shows into which an individual is reeled.

I stopped watching after season one, and I found out that the third season will be the final season.  Therefore, I started watching season two, and I am just as much blown away as I was during the first season.

It is one of those shows that delves deeply into the realm of religion to the point of controlling the viewer's emotions.  It is not a religious show, but the connotations are deeply embedded into amazing characters and a superb story-line in reference to how people deal with their lives after a major portion of the world's population suddenly disappears one day.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:28:25 PM by Sorginak »

Offline Munch

« Reply #242 on: April 27, 2017, 04:14:35 PM »
Never really got into it when it was first on, but seen how the newest series of samurai jack is out now, I've been binge watching older episodes to catch up.

Gonna confess, when it was first out, I thought the jack design was just professor utonium in samurai clothing.

Offline trdsf

« Reply #243 on: April 28, 2017, 12:56:18 PM »
The original Doctor Who is twenty-six seasons long.  I only watched two seasons of the original before I somewhat lost interest.  Also, when there are forty episodes per season it is harder to find the time to catch up on it.  Not to mention the fact that some of the episodes were lost and one has to watch still pictures that accompany the audio that actually did somehow survive.
Well, it depends on the series, how many episodes are in that year.  The early years, yeah, it was a brutal filming schedule and probably contributed to William Hartnell's early departure -- he was already in frail health, despite the fact that he was only 55 when he started the role (I was shocked when I found out he wasn't in his 60s or 70s already).

The earliest seasons had 40-45 half hour episodes; it was dialed back to 25-26 when Jon Pertwee took over in 1970, and then to the modern 13 or so when Colin Baker (whose tenure is much under-rated IMO) took the helm.  So even though Hartnell held the role for just over 3 full seasons, there were 134 individual episodes during that time; Tom Baker's seven years had "just" 172.

Somewhere I have a list of the episodes I think are best suited for getting into the more casual pace of the early episodes.  Some of them have aged like fine wine... a couple have aged more like mayonnaise.  No idea where it is, I'll have to re-create it.  I still consider the classic run superior on average -- since they only had an effects budget of sixpence and Auntie Beeb expected change, they had to get by on great writing and performances and couldn't plaster things over with splashy CGI.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin and Hobbes
"I thought I committed regicide today, but I committed deicide!" -- Sadie Doyle, Beyond Belief

Offline Sorginak

« Reply #244 on: April 29, 2017, 10:55:11 PM »
Season ten, episode three of Doctor Who called "Thin Ice"

They are in 1814 London.  Bill asks if it will be safe for her since she is black and slavery is still a thing.

As they change their clothes and traverse the city, she takes notice that there are more black people who are not slaves than she had expected.

Epic dialogue
Bill: Interesting.
Dr: What is?
Bill: Regency England.  Bit more blackness than they show in the movies.
Dr: So was Jesus.  History's a whitewash.

A bit of advice from the Dr. to Bill:
Always remember that passion fights, but reason wins.

LOL and then the Dr. proceeds to punch a man for insulting Bill for being a black woman.

Another good quote from the Dr:
Human progress isn't measured by industry.  It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Another good dialogue
Bill: You already know the answers.  Why are you even asking?
Dr: I don't know the answers.  Only idiots know the answers.

This show just gets better and better, and that's why I love it more than any other show on television.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #245 on: April 30, 2017, 07:04:20 AM »
The Doctor shows the value of inconsistency.  And I'm not joking here.  Unpredictability combined with power and ability is very hard to overcome.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead

« Reply #246 on: June 18, 2017, 12:36:53 AM »
The Americans; Fargo; Animal Kingdom

Offline trdsf

« Reply #247 on: July 07, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »
Been rediscovering Jacob Bronowski and The Ascent of Man, which is more or less Cosmos with an anthropological/sociological bend, and much of the same creative team, including producer/director Adrian Malone, worked on both, so it's also stylistically very similar.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin and Hobbes
"I thought I committed regicide today, but I committed deicide!" -- Sadie Doyle, Beyond Belief

« Reply #248 on: July 07, 2017, 11:30:52 PM »
The Doctor shows the value of inconsistency.  And I'm not joking here.  Unpredictability combined with power and ability is very hard to overcome.
My favorite Dr Who episode:

I forgot what it was about, though.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #249 on: July 11, 2017, 08:10:38 AM »
My favorite Dr Who episode:

(Image removed from quote.)

I forgot what it was about, though.

I don't much follow Dr Who anymore.  The actors became too "normal".  MY Dr Whos dressed outrageously and didn't really have any followers or friends.  They came, they went.  I gave up when K9 appeared.

Offline trdsf

« Reply #250 on: July 12, 2017, 07:01:41 AM »
I don't much follow Dr Who anymore.  The actors became too "normal".  MY Dr Whos dressed outrageously and didn't really have any followers or friends.  They came, they went.  I gave up when K9 appeared.
Ooo, don't stop there, you'll miss the whole year when Douglas Adams was script editor.

For the record, my preferred Doctor is a wee, devious little shit -- so McCoy and Troughton, thanks.  And a side order of TBaker and CBaker for your minimum recommended daily allowance of vitamins W, T and F.

« Reply #251 on: July 13, 2017, 04:09:46 AM »
Looking forward to watching 13 Reasons Why Season 2, time to see whether Jess will commit a suicide or not.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #252 on: July 18, 2017, 04:10:53 AM »

The new Doctor Who is currently on its tenth season and I have seen every episode.

The Christmas planet was OUTSTANDING!