News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I finished Locke & Key.  There's a season 3 in the works, but I won't see it.  The season 2 finale was such a major deviation from the source material that it might as well be called something else.

This is like watching Romeo and Juliet get married and open up their own bakery....at the end of Hamlet.  :/

GSOgymrat

I too just finished season 2 of Locke and Key. There were some twists that I didn't expect, although from the first shot of the demon's swanky lair you knew how that would end up.

I gave up on Another Life after the first episode.

Listening to this woman bitch about the show was more interesting than the show itself.

https://youtu.be/72cNloo-VFs

Shiranu

Yeah, I wanted to give Another Life a go just because of Stackhoff, but everything I saw just looked shit... and the reviews I've seen since then confirm that.

There is a whole underwhelming universe of shitty Sci-fi out there, so I try to avoid it as best I can because aint nobody got time for that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

trdsf

3/4/2022 -- MST3K Season 13 begins.

Other than that, nothing really has my attention other than JMS' announcement that he's going to remount Babylon 5, and keeping up with QI, Mock the Week, 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown, Would I Lie to You? and Doctor Who.  I let my Hulu subscription go last month; I'm keeping Netflix and BritBox.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Hawkeye has no business being as good as it is.

The first three episodes were kinda meh, to be honest.  Then it ramps up to basically movie-level quality.  Those last two episodes, it's like I'm watching Black Widow 2.

While it has some amount of goofiness and nonsense (one guy pretty much murders like 30 bros in the streets and it's played for laughs), it was a hell of a ride.

My list of MCU TV shows (Descending order of awesomeness)
1.  Loki
2.  What If?
2.  Wandavision
3.  Hawkeye
4.  The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Hydra009

Genlock

Season 1 is a futuristic scifi military drama with a dash of transhumanism.   Lovable characters, too.  Occasionally disturbing AF, but overall optimistic.  And surprisingly bloodless for a show featuring war, with the violence more implied than explicit. 10/10 would recommend.

Season 2 is a goddamn trainwreck.  Way more violent and bleak.  Bizarre, explicit sex scenes that feel like they were just slapped in there for shock value rather than an earned culmination of an ongoing relationship.  Morally gray.  We're talking Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender gray, with both the "good" faction and "evil" faction significantly reworked since season 1.  Overall incredibly pessimistic - to the point of them putting the friggin' Suicide Hotline at the end of the episode.  ?/10 would not recommend.

You can watch season 1 with a soda and the rest of the family (for the most part)
You have to watch season 2 alone with a beer or antidepressants

Needs a script doctor stat...belay that...a script necromancer.

drunkenshoe

Loudermilk. It's good. Comedy. An old music critic who is a sober alcoholic, running an AA and trying to help people. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Not really TV, but it's a 7 episode series done by Netflix, so it's not a movie either.  The Queens Gambit is a wonderful chess story, although the special after the movie says it's not really about chess (which is pure nonsense), and yes there's other stuff too, as there was in Searching for Bobby Fischer.  But it's 90% about chess, with some other stuff added for interest and tension.  It's exciting, fun, and heartfelt.  I hope it comes out on DVD, because I want this one in my collection.

Edit:  It is out on DVD already, and I'm buying it right now.

SGOS

Oops, no DVD yet, listings are all "out of stock", and I suspect has never  been in stock since it's still on Netflix Streaming.  What I almost ordered was the book. 

Hydra009

GSOgymrat

I enjoyed the first episode of the new PBS series Around the World in 80 Days. It is a reimagining of Jules Verne's story, so purists be warned.

https://youtu.be/76Ge6vO4q9Y

drunkenshoe

Jules Verne! Oh that sounds good.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

I remember the feature film from the 1950s (?), and especially it's theme song, which must have made it to near the top of the charts.  The whole thing was spectacular, and of course the ending was a stunning surprise, but variations of that ending of been co-opted in later films, and I often spot them before they are revealed.  But it took me by complete surprise in the film.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on January 07, 2022, 01:23:35 AM
I remember the feature film from the 1950s (?), and especially it's theme song, which must have made it to near the top of the charts.  The whole thing was spectacular, and of course the ending was a stunning surprise, but variations of that ending of been co-opted in later films, and I often spot them before they are revealed.  But it took me by complete surprise in the film.

I haven't seen it. I've probably seen one closer to this date. I also remember TinTin's issue for some reason. I didn't read it regularly. But Dupont Dupont is in front my eyes in this scenario, trying to hurry, checking with their watch. Maybe I'm pasting two different things on each other, lol. 

drunkenshoe

It's good, I liked it. But I can assure you majority will hate this series,lol. Also, David Tennant could be one of the most underrated actors.