News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 08, 2021, 08:05:07 PM
It did great for a number of years, and even got revived after years of being off the air.  But after a while, I kinda soured on it.  It's like going to an amazing amusement park as a kid and then going to it as an adult.  It's a bit different experience.
I never went to Disneyland until I was in my late 50s, and then I went 5 times after that.  lol

LoriPinkAngel

My son & I have been binge watching Breaking Bad on Netflix.  As many times as we have watched this we always notice new things.

SGOS

Those two shows are my two favorite series of all time.  I own them and have watched them enough times that I will probably only binge them once a year anymore.  Eventually, I need to see other things, and I bought a shit load of series last winter and more this year, but I believe it's going to me a long time before TV sees anything on par with Dexter or BB again.

SGOS

Episode 6 of WandaVision
I still don't know what's going on.  I might have a slightly better understanding, with operative word being "slightly."  But these are not big reveals to me.  If they have revealed anything, it tells me there's much more to find out.  I see what is happening, but haven't got a clue about why?   And the question is nagging.  When I understand that, I'll have a sensation of experiencing a reveal. 

[spoiler]Has anyone noticed that they have eliminated the laugh track from the sitcom part of the story?  What was typically nostalgic, but shallow and cheap 1950s sitcom with canned laughter has made a slight move toward drama.  I think this is alarming Wanda, who would prefer a slappy dappy vacant life without problems and responsibility.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

I just saw the latest Wandavision.  I gotta say, I didn't see that coming.

[spoiler]I gotta get this off my chest: a lot of people think Hayward is an evil POS and that really bugs me because his belligerence is entirely warranted.

This is a hostage situation with a crapload of civilians.  Period.  We all know how superheroes and/or the authorities deal with those.  Trying to talk it out first shows a remarkable level of restraint, especially considering that the civilians are constantly in a great deal of pain/anguish.

This Westview incident might ultimately stem from sympathetic reasons, but seen from the outside, this is supervillain territory.  What would Captain America do?  He'd try to stop it.  Now, you might be able to talk your way out of the situation, but that's a very slim chance.  If and when that fails, you have to consider other options.  Maybe not guns blazing - that's a last resort - but I'd definitely pursue a tech solution to disrupt the anomaly.[/spoiler]

SGOS

I'm going to have to review the earlier episodes.  This Hayward guy, I can't even remember him being introduced or what episode he showed up in first.  I don't believe I could have nodded off.  The next thing I know he's wearing a costume in episode 6, and upset about something, and I can't even see his face so I can say, "Oh!  That guy," so that I can remember his character development.

It's a good thing I don't mind reviewing episodes.  One of the things I like about watching movies more than once is spotting those things that pointed to something important later on, but were too subtle the first time to catch them.

Blackleaf

[spoiler=WandaVision ep 6 spoilers]So a couple of things I noted. First, Wanda genuinely seems like she isn't completely in control here. She has a lot of power, yes, but some things seem to happen without her say so. She doesn't even know how she's doing this. I suspect there's someone else who's really controlling things. Wanda is the director, not the producer. Hayward is an obvious suspect. He seems to be doing the typical secret villain thing, using his position of power to get rid of the good guys before they can ruin his plans. Plus, he's the leader of an organization called S.W.O.R.D. (come on, sword?), which coincidentally has recently (under Hayward's leadership) taken on a more proactive approach than in the past. The guy who took over for Pietro also seems to believe himself to really be her brother. And we see a glimpse his corpse before the illusion can fix it. So what's going on here? Maybe SWORD is using this as an experiment to resurrect the dead? We see that when Vision tries to leave, his body disintegrates, and returns to its former, dead state. But maybe they hope that sending dead people into the hex will eventually allow them to be restored completely? Also, the hex is in the 2000's now. Only one more decade before they get to present day. What will happen after that?[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on February 12, 2021, 09:03:59 PM
I'm going to have to review the earlier episodes.  This Hayward guy, I can't even remember him being introduced or what episode he showed up in first.
[spoiler]SWORD leader.  Looks like this:

[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 12, 2021, 10:05:11 PM
[spoiler=WandaVision ep 6 spoilers]So a couple of things I noted. First, Wanda genuinely seems like she isn't completely in control here. She has a lot of power, yes, but some things seem to happen without her say so. She doesn't even know how she's doing this. I suspect there's someone else who's really controlling things. Wanda is the director, not the producer. Hayward is an obvious suspect. He seems to be doing the typical secret villain thing, using his position of power to get rid of the good guys before they can ruin his plans. Plus, he's the leader of an organization called S.W.O.R.D. (come on, sword?), which coincidentally has recently (under Hayward's leadership) taken on a more proactive approach than in the past. The guy who took over for Pietro also seems to believe himself to really be her brother. And we see a glimpse his corpse before the illusion can fix it. So what's going on here? Maybe SWORD is using this as an experiment to resurrect the dead? We see that when Vision tries to leave, his body disintegrates, and returns to its former, dead state. But maybe they hope that sending dead people into the hex will eventually allow them to be restored completely? Also, the hex is in the 2000's now. Only one more decade before they get to present day. What will happen after that?
[spoiler]Wanda has increasingly less control over reality with every episode.  And her expanding family sped that up considerably.  It's also rather telling that various characters are aware of their roles and ask Wanda for direction as if she were directing a play - Agnes, Herb, and Pietro all do this.  Wanda is going to lose control entirely very soon.

And it's Pietro, but a different universe's Pietro.  This Pietro was apparently gunned down immediately before entering the anomaly.  I don't think Wanda intentionally brought Pietro there, I assume she was just thinking of him and he came.

And yes, she intended to restore Vision to life.  This whole thing isn't just for her, it's for him, too.  Think of it as a really advanced form of physical therapy.  And it's clearly working, since Vision has a great deal of autonomy and can nearly exist without Wanda's help.  Quite a feat.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 12, 2021, 11:05:45 PM
[spoiler]And it's Pietro, but a different universe's Pietro.  This Pietro was apparently gunned down immediately before entering the anomaly.  I don't think Wanda intentionally brought Pietro there, I assume she was just thinking of him and he came.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I don't know about that. Her Pietro was shot down. He just has a different face for some reason. The MCU has stayed away from multiverse stuff up until now, with even Mysterio turning out to be making that part of his story up. Maybe he's a different person, but has been implanted with artificial memories, based on Wanda's own recollection? I dunno. I also like that little self-aware joke between them.

"What happened to your accent?"

"What happened to yours?"[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 12, 2021, 10:48:55 PM
[spoiler]SWORD leader.  Looks like this:

[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Oh!  That guy.  Well it makes sense now.  I thought Hayward some guy in a gorilla/monster consume trapped in the anomaly.  All I need to do is rewatch episode 6.  Not sure if the gorilla guy is important or not.[/spoiler]

drunkenshoe

Does any of you watch true crime documentary series? Some of them are fascinating to me. It looks like they tell more about the general culture than their subject and things happening around it. I am watching Murder Mountain at the moment...well  :eek: Considering it's just been a few years it was legalised, I think we'll get a series of movies from there.

I have seen that Cecil Hotel one, the case of the poor Canadian girl. I remember it exploding on the social media, the elevator video and all...distantly, I recognised the vid.  However, it's really a perfect example of how people go crazy around something to hold on, build innocent looking groups that start to act like some sort of a 'cult'. The case has nothing mysterious and complicated. Actually, for anyone looking from outside, you instantly get what likely to have happened. But the way the reactions go out of proportion is really horrifying. It's like an open  notebook.

This morning, I have seen the Three Identical Strangers. I don't know what to think about that one. It's bad and what happened in 50-70 in those universities, going around the whole country as 'resreach' I think something we'll never really know.

I'm getting used to the new age documentaries. But I still think they themselves are the better material than the ones they offer. It feels like the more guarding, light and neutral they appear to be, the more telling they get.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Watching StarTrek the original series.  Haven't watched it for years and years, although I've probably seen each episode 5 times.  It's not as good as I remember, because the sets, acting, and production values typical of the time are very low, except for Spock, who was stellar even back then. The stories are also weaker than I remember, but I'm only on episode 13 in season 1 and Roddenberry may not have found his pace at this time.  Still this is classic stuff that generated a following of Trekies the likes of which had never been seen before.  I remember it mostly for dealing with issues of the human condition, although some of the topics may not be relevant today. 

I can give it a pass because of it's classic nature, but Episode 13, which I couldn't remember at all, is pretty bad.  It was overacted, with Shatner trying to act suave (not his strength).  It has a small twist at the end, which doesn't save much.  I was doing face palms through the whole thing.

But damn, I remember some episodes that should be timeless, like the Chicago Gangsters in "A piece of the action."  I might skip ahead and see if it's as good as I remember.

Hydra009

Me explaining my favorite shows to people:

Star Trek has amazing space battles.  When the "ship" is "hit" the actors just kinda throw themselves around, it's really amazing.  You feel like you're really there.

Stargate SG1 had amazing villains.  You can tell they're villains because they have this glowing eye effect put in post.  It looked pretty bad even in the 90s, but it helped them save up for the three really impressive battles in their 10-year run.

Stargate Atlantis had amazing space vampires.  Some guys in blue makeup "feed" on other guys and they spasm violently when they're being fed on.  Saved a ton of money on CGI.

Oh, and Doctor Who has this awe-inspiring thing where the Doctor regenerates.  His arms and head just kinda glow and then they cut to another actor.  It looks super great.  But seriously, the music is amazing.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 16, 2021, 01:39:29 AM
Me explaining my favorite shows to people:
Well, that should get any confirmed sci fi fan's head out of the clouds.