Let's define some basic terms that are overused and badly abused

Started by zarus tathra, August 22, 2014, 12:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarus tathra

Democracy - Rule by the majority. People keep saying that this or that thing is democratic/undemocratic, so the only way to make the word make sense again is to give it its original, classical meaning.

Civil rights - Equal treatment for equal behaviour. Or at least that's my definition. If you have some other version of "civil rights" that you want to promote, then I don't want to hear about it.

A bunch of words that are constantly thrown around that no one seems to want to define:

Fairness, equality, social justice, freedom
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

Hydra009

Democracy - "rule of the people", a form of government in which political power is wielded directly by citizens or through elected representatives.

(Can but does not necessarily require an absolute majority vote, since a plurality voting system is possible under this form of government)

Civil rights - rights belonging to an individual by virtue of citizenship.

DunkleSeele

Quote from: zarus tathra on August 22, 2014, 12:48:44 AM
that's my definition. If you have some other version of "civil rights" that you want to promote, then I don't want to hear about it.

And then you wonder why people aren't interested in participating in your threads.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: DunkleSeele on August 22, 2014, 02:03:25 AM
And then you wonder why people aren't interested in participating in your threads.

:lol:

Sent from your mom

doorknob

scientific theory not the same as laymen term theory. I'm tired of idiots saying " well that's just a theory." No you idiot it's not! So tired of it.

Hydra009

Quote from: doorknob on August 22, 2014, 10:05:09 AM
scientific theory not the same as laymen term theory. I'm tired of idiots saying " well that's just a theory." No you idiot it's not! So tired of it.
I'm also sick of "scientists say that ___ but I say ____" like it's just your word against theirs.  There's a body of data that leads scientists to their conclusion.  Unless you can take that data and build an alternate conclusion at least as well-supported as the prevailing one, you're outta luck.  Creationists are particularly infuriating because they disagree with evolution, trot out a couple dodgy arguments, and call it a day.  That might work in church, but in academia, it's like sticking the chalk up your nose and making fart noises.

zarus tathra

Quote from: DunkleSeele on August 22, 2014, 02:03:25 AM

Because they habitually come up with one-sided, deliberately obscured interpretations of buzzwords that are designed specifically to appease the half-educated?
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Jmpty

Quote from: zarus tathra on August 22, 2014, 02:26:03 PM
Because they habitually come up with one-sided, deliberately obscured interpretations of buzzwords that are designed specifically to appease the half-educated?

Yes, that is exactly what you do.
???  ??

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hakurei Reimu

If you want the definitions of words, you might want to invest in one of these:

Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

zarus tathra

Dictionaries don't work when people start throwing around terms like "freedom" and "democracy" and "equality" that have basically nothing to do with the dictionary definition.

QuoteYes, that is exactly what you do.

I generally try to avoid using terms that are very popular among the propagandists of all persuasions. i.e. "rule of law," "freedom," "capitalism," "revolution/revolutionary," etc. If you go over my posting history you'll find that I use them only so that I can mock them.

Hakurei Reimu

Zarus, each of the words you cite does have a legitimate and specific definition and use, and as such useful terminology if used correctly. If someone isn't using them correctly, call them out on it. But don't think that everyone who uses these terms is automatically engaged in propaganda.
(she bites!)

zarus tathra

When 80% of the uses are abuses, then that poisons the well too much. And "equality" is too vague of a term to be acceptable in politics. Maybe it's acceptable as a quasi-religious concept, since politics is never very far from religion, but it's useless as a political economic concept, at least as it's commonly "known."

Hakurei Reimu

(she bites!)

DunkleSeele

Quote from: zarus tathra on August 22, 2014, 02:26:03 PM
Thank you very much for confirming what I told you in this and other threads.

By the way, I find it extremely hypocritical of you to accuse others of making up definitions and then say "this is MY definition and I don't care about yours". Then again, your hypocrisy has been demonstrated already long ago.