Baby boomers and their angelic children, a religion onto itself?

Started by Munch, August 20, 2014, 08:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Although I hate having to babysit, I'm still kind of glad my brother had kids, because it means my family line can carry on, and I don't have to care, since not just being gay, but having a boyfriend who doesn't like kids either means I'll never have to deal with that.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Desdinova

Quote from: Munch on August 24, 2014, 07:54:37 AM
Although I hate having to babysit, I'm still kind of glad my brother had kids, because it means my family line can carry on, and I don't have to care, since not just being gay, but having a boyfriend who doesn't like kids either means I'll never have to deal with that.

Munch, you're still young enough (i think) to change your mind.  You never know what your feelings will be in 5 to 10 years.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Aroura33

First off it sound like you are more annoyed by the parents than the children.

I never wanted kids, and neither did my husband. We felt it would be wrong to add to overpopulation, and it would be unkind to the child to put it through Whatever crap is coming in their lifetime.

But despite precautions, I got pregnant at 33. We talked about options, and decided to just have the one. I had my tubes tied about 30 minutes after my daughter was born, so she is all there will be for us.
My point here being you never know what circumstances will come along and possibly change your mind.

I also barely tolerate most parents, and am Pratt critical of most of the ones I see (around here we have a lot of evangelists.... talk about raising kids wrong in every way!).

I also still don't much like very little kids. I had a hard time loving my own until she was about 3 or 4, hard as that is to admit. I had severe post partum, possibly boarding on psychosis for the first 6 months to a year until I got treatment. But I love children in the 6 to 12 year old age range, and volunteer to work with them and help whenever I can. But baby's....no. I do not like baby's and toddlers, they are destructive and they make me very uncomfortable.

I also find it funny but true that atheists tend to have 1/3 the children of religious. The correlation also holds true with educated vs uneducated. So the dumb religious people will keep outbreeding the intellectuals, we are dooming ourselves to idiocracy.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Munch

Quote from: Aroura33 on August 24, 2014, 02:04:56 PM

I also find it funny but true that atheists tend to have 1/3 the children of religious. The correlation also holds true with educated vs uneducated. So the dumb religious people will keep outbreeding the intellectuals, we are dooming ourselves to idiocracy.

I'll just say I don't believe for a minute idiocracy is a set thing within even the most deep theistic household, there are so many atheists who are raised in such homes and becomes educated and form their own opinion of the world away from their parents forced dogma, so enlightenment isn't just where you are born into.
Likewise, even in an atheist household a child might grow to become theist without his parents having instilled anything into him.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

stromboli

You can blame it all on Spock
http://www.wnd.com/2009/01/87179/

Cue facepalm with "but of course! What was I thinking?"

stromboli

Quote from: Munch on August 25, 2014, 12:31:18 PM
I'll just say I don't believe for a minute idiocracy is a set thing within even the most deep theistic household, there are so many atheists who are raised in such homes and becomes educated and form their own opinion of the world away from their parents forced dogma, so enlightenment isn't just where you are born into.
Likewise, even in an atheist household a child might grow to become theist without his parents having instilled anything into him.

I think of it as an "odds are" issue, because the majority of children tend to go where they are led, assuming their upbringing instills positive messages. All my children are atheist because they were given the freedom to decide for themselves. They became atheists before I did. Where religion essentially mandates having large families, atheism makes no such mandate. The choice for raising children among atheists has more to do with logic and the desire for children versus resources to raise them. Seen too many households brimming with children and raised in poverty as a Mormon to think otherwise.

The old issue of passing on the family name likewise is no longer as essential as it was once deemed to be, a move away from tribal/clannism in our society.