News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hi

Started by BlueFeather, February 22, 2013, 07:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFeather

Hi everyone—

I have been an atheist for quite some time now, but wanted to join the community to meet some other like-minded people. I'm originally from Pennsylvania but now live in Arizona. I was raised religious but made it out. One of the key reasons that I become an atheist—I think—is because I have a long-standing love affair with books and knowledge.

Mainly, I wanted to vent about one thing in particular. I hang out at a certain local coffee shop, generally chatting with people and trying to be as friendly as possible. There's a devout, older Catholic man who comes in from time to time. One time, he tried to give some of his literature to me, but I resisted and pushed back. Ever since, we've had some generally friendly discussions from time to time, with him mainly trying to convince me that Catholicism is the ultimate truth. He often uses miracles as his main point of argument. For example, apparently there's a miraculous staircase that was built in the 1800s at a chapel in Santa Fe (obviously bogus). Because I have never heard of these miracles before, he quickly points out that I haven't read widely enough in the Catholic faith to know what is going on.

I guess my frustration generally comes from the fact that I know history, geology, evolution (the big topics) pretty well and can argue them. But religious people often jump all over the place, citing a miracle here, a book here (Eben
Alexander's Proof of Heaven, etc.), until they've made a dozen different points in rapid fire succession—most of which deal with tiny trivial things—like supposed miracles--that I can only read up on later.

SvZurich

Welcome BlueFeather!  :)

You've got yourself a nutter.  Roll with him.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "BlueFeather"For example, apparently there's a miraculous staircase that was built in the 1800s at a chapel in Santa Fe (obviously bogus).

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/loretto.asp

the_antithesis

Frankly, I find stairs to not be all that miraculous. Escalators, on the other hand, are because I don't have to exert any effort to climb them.

BlueFeather

Not that familiar with Catholicism, but I believe the guy I was talking to was indicating that the stairs were built with the help of a saint. Whatever the case, I should have just pointed out how ridiculous it is that saints and divine figures might be more concerned with staircases in the New Mexico desert than they are with disease, corruption, suffering, etc.

aitm

people like that are more fun. When he starts shit like that ask him simple science questions such as ....."so, do you know how large our solar system is? Do you how large the largest known star is? And when he can't answer throw that fuckin "you don't read enough" shit right down his fuckin throat.

oh,,and welcome  :)
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

NeoLogic26

Welcome. You can only real deal with those kinds of people by arguing with the basic principles of science, which is where your strength lies. If he's making all kinds of wild claims about miracles, behind all that there's a core scientific answer to why it would be impossible or to what's really going on. Good to have you with us.
"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Savior2006

Welcome. The first beer is on Antithesis. :drinkers:
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

the_antithesis

It's true. I spilled it. Savior will get you another.

Brian37

Welcome. Maybe you could ask them what's up with their comic book club fan president(pope) hiding pedophiles?
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

leo

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

SHIN KAIRI

Quote from: "BlueFeather"Hi everyone—

There's a devout, older Catholic man who comes in from time to time. We've had some generally friendly discussions from time to time, with him mainly trying to convince me that Catholicism is the ultimate truth. He often uses miracles as his main point of argument.
I am a christian and I would suggest you stay away from him. Actually, you should stay away from anyone who says their denomination is the true church of God. You'll be better off reading your bible comfortably at home.
Presuppositionalism wins everytime.

This will guide you to The Light ]http://shinkairi.blogspot.com/[/url]

Isaiah 55:9 "As high as the sky is above the earth are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Plu

QuoteYou'll be better off reading your bible comfortably at home.

It's true. You'll be able to laugh as hard as you want and nobody will look at you funny.

NitzWalsh

Quote from: "SHIN KAIRI"

There's a devout, older Catholic man who comes in from time to time. We've had some generally friendly discussions from time to time, with him mainly trying to convince me that Catholicism is the ultimate truth. He often uses miracles as his main point of argument.
I am a christian and I would suggest you stay away from him. Actually, you should stay away from anyone who says their denomination is the true church of God. You'll be better off reading your bible comfortably at home.

I like to read the bible when I'm in the mood for murder, rape, and general immoralities commanded and sometimes participated in by the fluffy sky god.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

Brian37

Quote from: "SHIN KAIRI"

Actually you are better off treating all holy books like Harry Potter and Star Wars.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37