What are you listening to? Part II (The Revengening)

Started by Agramon, February 15, 2013, 02:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cassia

My newest track. Of course as hobby musicians we have zero expectations but I did enter the song in a contest to win some music gear.

https://youtu.be/mLlCWcKEWlU

Hydra009

You made that??!  HOLY CRAP!  That's amazing!  Musical skill is rare and difficult to learn.  You know what, you get a like!

Constructive criticism:  please consider slowing down the tempo of both the instrumentals and vocals in much of the song.  Let those notes/words linger for a sec before moving forward.

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 17, 2021, 11:23:44 PM
You made that??!  HOLY CRAP!  That's amazing!  Musical skill is rare and difficult to learn.  You know what, you get a like!

Constructive criticism:  please consider slowing down the tempo of both the instrumentals and vocals in much of the song.  Let those notes/words linger for a sec before moving forward.
Thanks Hydra. I love feedback, I think I agree and will play around with that tempo !

trdsf

A History of the World in 100 Objects.  Generally pretty good with a few episodes genuinely brilliant, even if it gives way too much of a pass to world religions and presents them as not much more than factors in the development of art and culture, breezily dismissing the Crusades, the Muslim wars of conquest, etc.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

trdsf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 23, 2021, 05:37:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjUyM_xd6IA

I'm so sorry.
Nothin' to apologize for.  I remember when that song first came out.  I usually liked his music anyway.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

drunkenshoe

Shiranu

Shout out to Cassia for making me work up the nerve to upload my first track in over year!

Learning how to use Blender to try to make animated stories to go with the music, but for now I have to use words. "Goodnight Friend" is about that feeling you get when you first inserted a video game cartridge and were welcome by the title screen and retro music to an entirely new world, one full of mystical beings, treacherous villains and stalwart friends who accept you as you are. It is a world where no matter how dark things may be, you fight for what is right no matter what and at the end of the day good wins out over evil.

It's also a song of loss; one day you will beat the game, and it goes on a shelf... then some days later, the console becomes outdated, and they are boxed and tossed in the garage. You begin to forget details of the world, and overtime it eventually completely fades from your memory until one day you find that box and decide to plug it back in to revisit a world that once meant so much to you. But like all things, time takes it's toll, and as you load up at that title screen of the world that helped you escape your own, it flickers and glitches; the music distorted and crunchy. The electronics simply have begun to fail, both due to time and neglect. Before you turn off the console, you remember one last thing; the ending melody, and all those feelings coming rushing back at once.

The game I used to escape a world where evil always seemed to win, the world I used to escape the long, drawn out process of watching my dad waste away to cancer and my mom detach from reality... in hearing that final tune one more time, there is some acceptance and comfort in it all. Everything loses to father time, and that's okay; those adventures still happened even if they can never be relived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ZSEd-xgRk
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Cassia

Quote from: Shiranu on July 28, 2021, 05:55:41 AM
Shout out to Cassia for making me work up the nerve to upload my first track in over year!

Learning how to use Blender to try to make animated stories to go with the music, but for now I have to use words. "Goodnight Friend" is about that feeling you get when you first inserted a video game cartridge and were welcome by the title screen and retro music to an entirely new world, one full of mystical beings, treacherous villains and stalwart friends who accept you as you are. It is a world where no matter how dark things may be, you fight for what is right no matter what and at the end of the day good wins out over evil.

It's also a song of loss; one day you will beat the game, and it goes on a shelf... then some days later, the console becomes outdated, and they are boxed and tossed in the garage. You begin to forget details of the world, and overtime it eventually completely fades from your memory until one day you find that box and decide to plug it back in to revisit a world that once meant so much to you. But like all things, time takes it's toll, and as you load up at that title screen of the world that helped you escape your own, it flickers and glitches; the music distorted and crunchy. The electronics simply have begun to fail, both due to time and neglect. Before you turn off the console, you remember one last thing; the ending melody, and all those feelings coming rushing back at once.

The game I used to escape a world where evil always seemed to win, the world I used to escape the long, drawn out process of watching my dad waste away to cancer and my mom detach from reality... in hearing that final tune one more time, there is some acceptance and comfort in it all. Everything loses to father time, and that's okay; those adventures still happened even if they can never be relived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ZSEd-xgRk
That is too cool for school, the textures amazing. That wavering sub and kick are perfect. Wow...Hope that is just one track from an album. ;)

Cassia

Some of those patches have a "formant" nature. Almost hear the machines trying to talk in that track. I am fascinated by synth emulation of voice..and emotion.

Shiranu

Quote from: Cassia on August 05, 2021, 05:45:30 PM
That is too cool for school, the textures amazing. That wavering sub and kick are perfect. Wow...Hope that is just one track from an album. ;)

I appreciate it! I would definitely love to do an album, just need to learn to be more consistent and not take multi-month breaks in-between each song lol. The idea of a retro game inspired EP or full album based on stages of my life and the games I was playing at the time really appeals to me.

Porter Robinson's "Worlds", a lot of Daft Punk's works, and oddly enough some of Kanye's mid-career work are huge inspirations of mine; they all really knew how to use synths, auto-tune, vocoders, etc. to turn the instrumentals (or for Kanye, turn vocals into instrumentals) not just into sound to fill space but something that has it's own life and as you said voice & emotion. If I can get anything close to that, that makes me really happy.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur