Author Topic: What are you listening to? Part II (The Revengening)  (Read 92876 times)

Online trdsf

Re: What are you listening to? Part II (The Revengening)
« Reply #1335 on: October 13, 2017, 10:40:43 AM »
I just discovered a hilarious man named Ray Jessel
I remember hearing "Life Sucks And Then You Die" on Doctor Demento *decades* ago!  Never knew the performer's name, thank you!
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin and Hobbes
"I thought I committed regicide today, but I committed deicide!" -- Sadie Doyle, Beyond Belief

Online Shiranu

« Reply #1336 on: October 13, 2017, 10:21:48 PM »
"When glass breaks it is possible to put the pieces back together, but a heart once broken cannot be pieced together again. The suffering of man is immense, and only in love can relief be found from that suffering."  -
Allahi Allah, traditional Pakistani folk song

Offline Sal1981

« Reply #1337 on: October 16, 2017, 08:27:59 AM »
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" --- Richard P. Feynman

Online Cavebear

« Reply #1338 on: October 18, 2017, 11:51:10 AM »
I remember hearing "Life Sucks And Then You Die" on Doctor Demento *decades* ago!  Never knew the performer's name, thank you!

I used to stay up late just to listen to Dr Demento!  And then there was Cerphe. and the "Album Hour"at 1 AM where you could hear the entire front and back of One Good Record. you didn't have. 

And then, and only then, they would play 'Stairway To Heaven" and 'White Rabbit'...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Online Shiranu

« Reply #1339 on: October 22, 2017, 03:01:02 AM »

"When glass breaks it is possible to put the pieces back together, but a heart once broken cannot be pieced together again. The suffering of man is immense, and only in love can relief be found from that suffering."  -

« Reply #1340 on: October 22, 2017, 12:14:44 PM »

« Reply #1341 on: October 22, 2017, 08:38:39 PM »

Online Cavebear

« Reply #1342 on: October 23, 2017, 07:53:35 AM »
Pictures At An Exhibition...

« Reply #1343 on: October 24, 2017, 02:28:28 PM »
God Not Found
Jesus on toast, Allah on an egg - all we need now is Moses in the orange juice and we have a crazy balanced breakfast.

Online trdsf

« Reply #1344 on: October 25, 2017, 01:03:50 PM »
Recently got turned on to King Falls AM, which was clearly inspired by Welcome to Night Vale but has done a pretty good job of making its space its own rather than being derivative.  Even though both shows center around the local radio station in a deeply weird small town -- and really, the core difference is as simple as this: in Night Vale, the radio personality is "Now I'm going to talk about some weird shit in our town" and in King Falls, the radio personality is "Why are you people calling my show with all this weird shit in your town?" -- Night Vale is usually a monologue by Cecil, and King Falls is a production with multiple voice actors.

The basic premise is simple: new DJ (from well out of town) hired by the radio station of course doesn't believe all this weird stuff about alien abductions, lake monsters, zombies, werewolves, &c., and his co-host (a local) takes them all as a matter of course.  And they make it work.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin and Hobbes
"I thought I committed regicide today, but I committed deicide!" -- Sadie Doyle, Beyond Belief

Online Shiranu

« Reply #1345 on: October 25, 2017, 01:06:43 PM »

« Reply #1346 on: October 25, 2017, 05:33:43 PM »
Recently got turned on to King Falls AM, which was clearly inspired by Welcome to Night Vale but has done a pretty good job of making its space its own rather than being derivative.
Nice!  I'll check that out.  I both like and dislike Cecil's monologues.  He can keep me captivated for quite a while, but after a while, I wish he had someone else to bounce off of.

Online Cavebear

« Reply #1347 on: October 27, 2017, 07:43:54 AM »
Pachebels Canon, Claire de Lune, Air by Bach...

« Reply #1348 on: October 31, 2017, 04:21:58 PM »
Recently, on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, an NPR program, I heard about these guys, and they actually sound pretty good:

God Not Found
Jesus on toast, Allah on an egg - all we need now is Moses in the orange juice and we have a crazy balanced breakfast.

Online Shiranu

« Reply #1349 on: November 03, 2017, 07:59:57 PM »
>That face when English people can do the blues and soul music just as well as Americans...