What are you listening to? Part II (The Revengening)

Started by Agramon, February 15, 2013, 02:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 13, 2017, 01:50:26 AM
I just discovered a hilarious man named Ray Jessel
I remember hearing "Life Sucks And Then You Die" on Doctor Demento *decades* ago!  Never knew the performer's name, thank you!
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on October 13, 2017, 10:40:43 AM
I remember hearing "Life Sucks And Then You Die" on Doctor Demento *decades* ago!  Never knew the performer's name, thank you!

I used to stay up late just to listen to Dr Demento!  And then there was Cerphe. and the "Album Hour"at 1 AM where you could hear the entire front and back of One Good Record. you didn't have. 

And then, and only then, they would play 'Stairway To Heaven" and 'White Rabbit'...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Recently got turned on to King Falls AM, which was clearly inspired by Welcome to Night Vale but has done a pretty good job of making its space its own rather than being derivative.  Even though both shows center around the local radio station in a deeply weird small town -- and really, the core difference is as simple as this: in Night Vale, the radio personality is "Now I'm going to talk about some weird shit in our town" and in King Falls, the radio personality is "Why are you people calling my show with all this weird shit in your town?" -- Night Vale is usually a monologue by Cecil, and King Falls is a production with multiple voice actors.

The basic premise is simple: new DJ (from well out of town) hired by the radio station of course doesn't believe all this weird stuff about alien abductions, lake monsters, zombies, werewolves, &c., and his co-host (a local) takes them all as a matter of course.  And they make it work.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Shiranu

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on October 25, 2017, 01:03:50 PM
Recently got turned on to King Falls AM, which was clearly inspired by Welcome to Night Vale but has done a pretty good job of making its space its own rather than being derivative.
Nice!  I'll check that out.  I both like and dislike Cecil's monologues.  He can keep me captivated for quite a while, but after a while, I wish he had someone else to bounce off of.

Cavebear

Pachebels Canon, Claire de Lune, Air by Bach...

Unbeliever

Recently, on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, an NPR program, I heard about these guys, and they actually sound pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLP8rFrL1W0
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Shiranu

>That face when English people can do the blues and soul music just as well as Americans...