What are you listening to? Part II (The Revengening)

Started by Agramon, February 15, 2013, 02:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

I'm boring.  Simon&Garfunkle, Carly Simon, Joan Baez, later Beatles...

But I'm eclectic.  Classical, Electronica, Heavy Metal, Broadway.  Just not much "new".
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on April 30, 2017, 07:27:10 AM
I'm boring.  Simon&Garfunkle, Carly Simon, Joan Baez, later Beatles...

But I'm eclectic.  Classical, Electronica, Heavy Metal, Broadway.  Just not much "new".
I'm on board with most of those.  But just as my DVD rack has Airplane, Amadeus and Andromeda Strain all next to each other, so my CD rack has Bach (J.S.), Bach (P.D.Q.), Beatles, Black Book Band and Brubeck... as well as Gershwin, Getz, Goodman and the Grateful Dead, or while I'm at it, Lehrer, Little Feat, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Lyttelton.

Eclectic is good.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on May 01, 2017, 12:21:48 AM
I'm on board with most of those.  But just as my DVD rack has Airplane, Amadeus and Andromeda Strain all next to each other, so my CD rack has Bach (J.S.), Bach (P.D.Q.), Beatles, Black Book Band and Brubeck... as well as Gershwin, Getz, Goodman and the Grateful Dead, or while I'm at it, Lehrer, Little Feat, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Lyttelton.

Eclectic is good.  :)

Do you like tribute albums?  Like different artists doing Beatles or Elton John?  I think they are fascinating.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

I run hot and cold on those -- probably more on the warm side than not.  I love Deadicated; the bands that participated brought some really interesting takes to songs I had grown used to thinking of in a particular way.  And All This and World War II is a fascinating set of Beatles covers ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous.  And The Byrds sometimes seemed only a bit more than a glorified Dylan cover band.

And there are certain artists that are able to take a cover and just about make it their own -- the Dead did that a lot, and the Byrds with Dylan, of course, and k.d. lang also stands out, considering her versions of Cohen's 'Hallelujah', Young's 'Helpless', and her work with and after Roy Orbison.

I find covers fascinating in and of themselves, because there's often more in a song than even the songwriter thought there was.  Go on YouTube some time and look up all the covers of Bonnie Dobson's "Morning Dew".  It's got about as weird a set of major covers as you could ask for -- the Dead's improvisational masterpiece and the tight and driving Jeff Beck/Rod Stewart version are probably the two best known, but it was also tackled by the Allman Brothers, Nazareth, DEVO, Lulu, Robert Plant, and Long John Baldry, among others.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Shiranu

Evan Duffy's covers of Deadmau5 songs might be the most beautiful music ever created.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q43h1zHpjqc

I finally got this earworm out of my head!  I couldn't remember anything about it but the beat and the fact that my brother had played it once.  I had him go through hundreds of songs on his playlist till he finally hit the right one.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 19, 2017, 07:25:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8nkHrv_4Mg

RIP, Chris :(.

On a brighter note, holy fucking shit this is the most addicting song this year. 2017 killin' it musically.

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Shiranu