Author Topic: Rate the latest movie you've seen.  (Read 241557 times)

Offline SGOS

Re: Rate the latest movie you've seen.
« Reply #3600 on: October 20, 2018, 08:38:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Coinstars are in all the Krogers around here.  I always check them to see what's in the reject tray - I've gotten steel cents, silver dimes, all sorts of foreign coins that way.
Silver dimes?  Yes, I suppose some are still around.  Most have been taken out of circulation by hoarders.  I bought a tub of "junk silver" one time just to see what kind of an investment it was.  I bought quarters, but you can buy them assorted.  They come through the Post Office in plastic tubs with "MACHINE PARTS" stamped all over the container.  But when I went to pick them up the postal clerk said, "Oh, silver coins, huh?"  Like it was some big secret. 

I'm still befuddled about how worthless the money we use actually is.  There is some value in copper pennies and I suppose also in nickels and dimes, but when you get into the big bills is just paper and ink.  I've been told our money is backed by the US government so it actually has more value than the junk it's made out of.  But is this the same government that controls inflation, lies to me, and redistributes my tax dollars to wealthy campaign donors?  I'm still expecting it to collapse, and when it does there are going to be a lot of losers.

And if it is backed by the government, shouldn't I be able to trade my paper dollars in for something of value?  I suppose they would just pay for it using the same garbage I was trying to get rid of.  Or maybe some guy would say, "Here, you can have one of these savings bonds."  Like that helps a lot.  I should be able to get something useful like light bulbs or shovels.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 08:43:06 AM by SGOS »

« Reply #3601 on: October 20, 2018, 08:49:47 AM »
Money is just our agreed upon way of keeping score.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline Baruch

« Reply #3602 on: October 20, 2018, 11:26:10 AM »
Money is just our agreed upon way of keeping score.

And I deny any agreement.  Neither your currency nor your credit are good here.  I will agree only if you bow the knee to my hegemony (see SWIFT).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 11:34:30 AM by Baruch »
שלום

Offline Baruch

« Reply #3603 on: October 20, 2018, 11:32:34 AM »
Silver dimes?  Yes, I suppose some are still around.  Most have been taken out of circulation by hoarders.  I bought a tub of "junk silver" one time just to see what kind of an investment it was.  I bought quarters, but you can buy them assorted.  They come through the Post Office in plastic tubs with "MACHINE PARTS" stamped all over the container.  But when I went to pick them up the postal clerk said, "Oh, silver coins, huh?"  Like it was some big secret. 

I'm still befuddled about how worthless the money we use actually is.  There is some value in copper pennies and I suppose also in nickels and dimes, but when you get into the big bills is just paper and ink.  I've been told our money is backed by the US government so it actually has more value than the junk it's made out of.  But is this the same government that controls inflation, lies to me, and redistributes my tax dollars to wealthy campaign donors?  I'm still expecting it to collapse, and when it does there are going to be a lot of losers.

And if it is backed by the government, shouldn't I be able to trade my paper dollars in for something of value?  I suppose they would just pay for it using the same garbage I was trying to get rid of.  Or maybe some guy would say, "Here, you can have one of these savings bonds."  Like that helps a lot.  I should be able to get something useful like light bulbs or shovels.

Taxation backs the dollar (or any other currency).  You are required to pay taxes.  And required to do this in a particular currency.  This creates a demand for the dollar etc, every time you pay a tax, which is every time you make an economic exchange (see sales taxes or VAT).

So ultimately it is the power of the government, to put you in jail, or to wage war against our competitors, that makes the dollar valuable.  Because really, without the police, almost nobody would pay taxes.  Similarly ambitious and greedy people would be all over you, without any defenses, like Sweden and its refugees.

So yes, you can convert your digital or physical cash into purchased goods and services.  But at a price, determined by the government, under regulations determined by the government.  Unless the government lets you, your digital or physical cash is worth zero.

Ultimately however, the government can't allow you to keep gold or silver, because there is a perpetual shortage of these useful metals ... at least useful for government purposes.  In the end, the government can demand taxes in gold or silver, to pry any private metal wealth out of private hands.

Naive politics, naive economics = typical voter.
שלום

Offline Baruch

« Reply #3604 on: October 20, 2018, 11:34:09 AM »
The system would save having to load paper money into the machines.

The greatest saving is for the government to take what you have, and give nothing back.  That will come, accelerated by the digital Trojan Horse.  Negative interest rates and forced savings anyone?
שלום

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk