News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Intelligence and woo

Started by widdershins, February 22, 2013, 04:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

widdershins

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"IT'S A MIRACLE! ....that the whole state of Florida didn't get sucked down in that guys bedroom floor! :lol:
Why?  Was he gay?  Because if he was gay then it is a miracle because it was probably God's punishment on the gays.  And we all know that zany God can't punish a single person without taking a few innocents with him.
This sentence is a lie...

PJS

Just to throw one more factor in, it seems probability estimates contribute to certain conclusions. Often estimates of likely occurence are made when the actual probability is higher and counterintuitive. That is, something happens that seems to defy odds and unjustified conclusions follow. One example is the birthday paradox -which is a good way to win a wager at a large party.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem
The path of least resistance and least trouble is a mental rut already made. It requires troublesome work to undertake the alternation of old beliefs.
-John Dewey

widdershins

Quote from: "PJS"Just to throw one more factor in, it seems probability estimates contribute to certain conclusions. Often estimates of likely occurence are made when the actual probability is lower and counterintuitive. That is, something happens that seems to defy odds and unjustified conclusions follow. One example is the birthday paradox -which is a good way to win a wager at a large party.
That is some fascinating shit.  I want to divorce my wife, leave my children and run away to have a wild, twisted affair with mathematics because of this.

Colanth

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "Colanth"Many of them "know" that they aren't ignorant, so they see no need to look it up.  (As in taking an antibiotic every time you get a cold.  Antibiotics cure illness - everyone knows that.)
Or as a woman I worked with said (imagine a parental tone when you tell your child he can't put his hand on a hot stove), "If you don't go to the doctor to get antibiotics, you'll never get rid of your cold."
There's a brand of antibacterial wipes (I won't mention the name, but it's the largest retailer in the world) that says, right on the container, that it kills the flu virus.  An antibacterial?  Really?  The flu virus is a bacterium?
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "Colanth"Many of them "know" that they aren't ignorant, so they see no need to look it up.  (As in taking an antibiotic every time you get a cold.  Antibiotics cure illness - everyone knows that.)
Or as a woman I worked with said (imagine a parental tone when you tell your child he can't put his hand on a hot stove), "If you don't go to the doctor to get antibiotics, you'll never get rid of your cold."
There's a brand of antibacterial wipes (I won't mention the name, but it's the largest retailer in the world) that says, right on the container, that it kills the flu virus.  An antibacterial?  Really?  The flu virus is a bacterium?

Marketing baby - sells shit!!  And in case no one's watching the Ps and Qs of what's on what label........... or even IF they do.......some money cross the palm of the right guy in the right spot of the Capitol building and Oh Sure - Go ahead.  Happens every day.
I laugh at antibacterial wipes that claim to kill Flu.   And I laugh when people say they need antibiotic for cold virus.  (key word VIRUS in that sentence).  *sigh*   Sure sometimes viral can change to bacterial........but you need a Dr to determine that pretty much.   I'm as bad as the next guy for self-diagnosing though.......so I cant point fingers too hard. LOL

As for marketing what-nots -   if it all boils down to people wiping surfaces more - and sort of cleaning their hands in the process - that's probably helping fight some kind of germ to some degree.  LOL
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

stromboli

Quote from: "widdershins"
Quote from: "PJS"Just to throw one more factor in, it seems probability estimates contribute to certain conclusions. Often estimates of likely occurence are made when the actual probability is lower and counterintuitive. That is, something happens that seems to defy odds and unjustified conclusions follow. One example is the birthday paradox -which is a good way to win a wager at a large party.
That is some fascinating shit.  I want to divorce my wife, leave my children and run away to have a wild, twisted affair with mathematics because of this.

:shock:

widdershins

Quote from: "stromboli"
Quote from: "widdershins"

:shock:
I really like math  :oops:

widdershins

Quote from: "Davka"
Quote from: "widdershins"As we are all aware there is a negative correlation between intelligence and belief in woo
Um - no. There isn't.
Perhaps my information is wrong, but I did get this from articles.
Atheists are more intelligent than religious people
Liberals and Atheists Smarter? Intelligent People Have Values Novel in Human Evolutionary History, Study Finds
A provocative new study claims that more intelligent persons are more likely to become political liberals and atheists.