News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Me 1 atheism 0

Started by Ro3bert, August 16, 2014, 11:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Quote from: theorange4 on October 27, 2014, 09:24:18 PM

I am curious, though, what you would call yourself if you aren't an atheist or a theist (and I would also assume not a deist). I will say that it is a bit problematic to state that no God exists. Sure, maybe to you. If you are to make a factual claim, then you should be prepared to support it with facts. It is wiser to state that "there is not sufficient evidence to support the existence of a God". I would agree that many atheists are very militant, which contributes to negative stereotypes. I think many atheists act more aggressively against religion because they have seen the harm that it can do to others, and even themselves.

I don't know if this is an identity crisis or an ideology crisis, but all the ro3bert is actually doing is not defining himself. You are agnostic if you sort of believe but sort of don't, a deist if you believe in a higher (supernatural) power but not a specific god. If in your continuum the god concept does not exist, then the fallout is belief in a superior intellect (definable and therefore not supernatural)  either controlling or creating the universe, or an atheist. That is all the mental energy I'm wasting on this thread.
:popcorn:

(edit) sorry, put theorange4 as the subject mistakenly. Meant ro3bert. My bad.

eylul

Quote from: Munch on September 10, 2014, 06:41:36 AM
now that's not fair, a penis is a useful instrument of nature. Religion is not.
True srory ever lol

Mister Agenda

Quote from: Ro3bert on August 16, 2014, 11:54:08 AM
I grew up in a quasi-religious (Christan) family. My mother want to church occasionally dragging my sister and I along then depositing us in Sunday School. I learned that Jesus and God loved us and took care of us, but when I questioned where God and Jesus were (the one being invisible the other dead) the answers just didn't ring true or logical.

As I grew away from church I began to wonder why someone would allow themselves to be killed to save me, didn't make sense nor did the bible itself.

So left to my own devices I began to question the very existence of God and all that was supposed to follow from him. Eventually I gave the whole thing up. I was on my way to becoming an atheist. Then along came this forum. I was delighted, joined and posted a few times.

Now after reading thru a number of posts and doing more thinking, it dawns on me that I am not an atheist but contrary to the "black or white" theory I am not a theist either.

I no longer have problems with religions; what anyone wishes to believe is OK with me. I've no quarrel with a God(s) nor am I angry at "Him" as some believe drives atheism.

In my space-time continuum the concept of "God" does not exist, therefore I cannot be an atheist (or theist for that matter).

If, in the future, someone comes up with concrete evidence of the existence of God, I, then, will have to rethink my beliefs.

As an aside, it seems to me that many people (though not all) on this forum, are antagonistic toward any and all religions but especially Christianity.

Robert

Great, another atheist who has found a convoluted way to distance themselves from atheism. If you don't believe in God, you're an atheist, full stop. But you don't have to call yourself one if you want to be a speical snowflake.

Although if you want to actually be correct in your description of yourself, what you are not is an anti-theist. Most atheists (about 85% according to one study) are not anti-theists. The rate of anti-theism tends to run a little higher on atheist discussion boards, for reasons that I think are fairly obvious.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Munch

The thing that great about being called an atheist is having that clarity of mind that your no longer deluded by the mass of religious folk and believers who try to pull you into there coven. 
Of course being an atheist doesn't mean even then its a 100% assured thing, since even as atheists, some don't want to lose that sense of being told what to do by higher ups or preachers, even when they don't believe in a god anymore.  That is why things like Atheism+ formed, because some people just can't get past that 'union' feel
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

aitm

started to read......meh......let me know if someone pees in the closet.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Quote from: aitm on October 28, 2014, 01:35:50 PM
started to read......meh......let me know if someone pees in the closet.

Nice to see the thread has piqued your interest, like it did mine.  :biggrin:

Razel500

Quote from: Ro3bert on August 16, 2014, 11:54:08 AM
I grew up in a quasi-religious (Christan) family. My mother want to church occasionally dragging my sister and I along then depositing us in Sunday School. I learned that Jesus and God loved us and took care of us, but when I questioned where God and Jesus were (the one being invisible the other dead) the answers just didn't ring true or logical.

As I grew away from church I began to wonder why someone would allow themselves to be killed to save me, didn't make sense nor did the bible itself.

So left to my own devices I began to question the very existence of God and all that was supposed to follow from him. Eventually I gave the whole thing up. I was on my way to becoming an atheist. Then along came this forum. I was delighted, joined and posted a few times.

Now after reading thru a number of posts and doing more thinking, it dawns on me that I am not an atheist but contrary to the "black or white" theory I am not a theist either.

I no longer have problems with religions; what anyone wishes to believe is OK with me. I've no quarrel with a God(s) nor am I angry at "Him" as some believe drives atheism.

In my space-time continuum the concept of "God" does not exist, therefore I cannot be an atheist (or theist for that matter).

If, in the future, someone comes up with concrete evidence of the existence of God, I, then, will have to rethink my beliefs.

As an aside, it seems to me that many people (though not all) on this forum, are antagonistic toward any and all religions but especially Christianity.

Robert

Some secrets are best left undiscovered. Don't look for answers, just be thankful for what you have.

Shiranu

IMO;

I disagree with this concept that atheism and theism are the only two options that define you. That said, you ARE one or the other, there is no escaping that. There is no middle ground.

That said, you can be various levels of theist or atheist. Just because you say, "I have no concept of God"... that is simply not true. Someone who had no concept of god wouldn't need to make such a statement nor would even know how. The fact of the matter is you DO live in a society that has a concept of god, therefor you know of this concept, therefor you DO have a concept of god and just won't admit it to yourself.

I don't know your reasoning for not admitting it, nor do I particularly care one way or another. Atheist or theist can either define you as much or as little as you want to let it, but at the end of the day it is still something you are.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur