Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Me 1 atheism 0

Started by Ro3bert, August 16, 2014, 11:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Ro3bert on August 18, 2014, 08:46:19 PM
Since I was only trying to convey my belief position
That invites debate on this forum. Not only is it encouraged, but being shocked by the practice is justification to start ridiculing you.

Do yourself a favor: don't state your beliefs unless you're ready to debate them. (Can this be a site rule? It practically is one as things are.)
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 18, 2014, 09:32:47 PM
That invites debate on this forum. Not only is it encouraged, but being shocked by the practice is justification to start ridiculing you.

Do yourself a favor: don't state your beliefs unless you're ready to debate them. (Can this be a site rule? It practically is one as things are.)
It's not really something that is a rule... It is definitely one of those things to be aware of and consider though. I'll figure out where to put it.

Antyla

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 18, 2014, 08:39:26 PM
Hey! Nice having you back, Antyla! Long time no see
About a year. Thanks for the welcome!

SGOS

Quote from: Ro3bert on August 18, 2014, 08:46:19 PM
Since I was only trying to convey my belief position and not trying to talk someone (anyone) into believing as I do and because I seem to have somehow stirred up a hornets nest I will withdraw from this thread.
The forum is about ideas and beliefs and that is what we discuss.  You don't have to be trying to convert anyone.  You bring up an idea or some philosophical position, and it's going to be examined for validity.  Whether it stirs up a hornet's nest or not is irrelevant.  If a hornet's nest makes you uncomfortable, you shouldn't post ideas and beliefs which you cannot defend or things that don't make logical sense.  That's the way the forum works.  It has since I've been here.

The forum is not just about atheism, although that's its name.  The forum is a meeting place for people who emphasize reason over belief.  If you don't like our philosophy, you have no reason to be here.

Desdinova

Quote from: Ro3bert on August 18, 2014, 02:26:12 PM
In a sense yes, but I am immune to such "attacks".

Robert

Who are you?  Magneto?  Explain.

"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

the_antithesis

Quote from: Ro3bert on August 18, 2014, 02:26:12 PM
In a sense yes, but I am immune to such "attacks".

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Grow up, kid.

NeoLogic26

Quote from: Ro3bert on August 16, 2014, 11:54:08 AM
In my space-time continuum the concept of "God" does not exist, therefore I cannot be an atheist (or theist for that matter).

Guess what.  For a time in this space-time continuum, there was no concept of god either. Know what those people were called before the concept of god was proposed? Atheists. De facto atheists, but atheists none-the-less.  Face it, sonny, you're an atheist, you just have a problem with that label.  I'm sure you'll get over that in time.
"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

stromboli

Quote from: NeoLogic26 on August 23, 2014, 04:53:22 PM
Guess what.  For a time in this space-time continuum, there was no concept of god either. Know what those people were called before the concept of god was proposed? Atheists. De facto atheists, but atheists none-the-less.  Face it, sonny, you're an atheist, you just have a problem with that label.  I'm sure you'll get over that in time.

Labels is the point. How you label yourself is fine. I tend to think of it in terms of who is knocking on my door to bring a message of deliverance, and it isn't atheists.

Munch

Quote from: Solitary on August 16, 2014, 04:07:18 PM
Religion is like a penis, keep it in your pants, no problem, show it to kids, you're a pervert. Solitary

now that's not fair, a penis is a useful instrument of nature. Religion is not. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Munch on September 10, 2014, 06:41:36 AM
now that's not fair, a penis is a useful instrument of nature. Religion is not.
lmao!

Sent from your mom

Deidre32

I don't understand the thread title. *shrug*
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Mister Agenda

I grew up in a quasi-religious (Christan) family. My mother want to church occasionally dragging my sister and I along then depositing us in Sunday School. I learned that Jesus and God loved us and took care of us, but when I questioned where God and Jesus were (the one being invisible the other dead) the answers just didn't ring true or logical.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you were a sensible lad.

As I grew away from church I began to wonder why someone would allow themselves to be killed to save me, didn't make sense nor did the bible itself.

Right, how can someone else pay for YOUR sins? I don't think they're transferable.

So left to my own devices I began to question the very existence of God and all that was supposed to follow from him. Eventually I gave the whole thing up. I was on my way to becoming an atheist. Then along came this forum. I was delighted, joined and posted a few times.

Starting small and getting to know the place is the proper way to get a good start in a forum.

Now after reading thru a number of posts and doing more thinking, it dawns on me that I am not an atheist but contrary to the "black or white" theory I am not a theist either.

You put the odds of God being real at exactly 50%?

I no longer have problems with religions; what anyone wishes to believe is OK with me. I've no quarrel with a God(s) nor am I angry at "Him" as some believe drives atheism.

I don't have a problem with religion per se either, so long as it stays within its constitutional bounds and doesn't advocate barbarity. Those people who think that drives atheism are wrong...I'm no more mad at God than I am at Sauron. But I would be a bit apalled at Sauron believers who tried to promote the bad bits of Sauron worship, and might point out Sauron as they are depicting him is not a good person. If their version of Sauron is harmless though, more power to them.

In my space-time continuum the concept of "God" does not exist, therefore I cannot be an atheist (or theist for that matter).

Since we're all in the same space-time continuum, I'm pretty sure the concept exists. If it didn't, you would automatically be a nontheist, you just wouldn't know it.

If, in the future, someone comes up with concrete evidence of the existence of God, I, then, will have to rethink my beliefs.

That's the position of 90% of the atheists on this board, I think.

As an aside, it seems to me that many people (though not all) on this forum, are antagonistic toward any and all religions but especially Christianity.

Robert

That would be a product of most posters being Americans, I think, a country notorious for the degree to which Christian fundamentalists try to insinuate themselves into an officially secular government, and where decades of intermingling of the religious right and political right have produced a particularly toxic mixture characterized by open hatred of homosexuals and religious minorities. Christianity affects or has affected many of us personally in our day to day lives in ways that other religions don't. Fun fact: atheists in India complain mostly about Hinduism.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Fidel_Castronaut

lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

AllPurposeAtheist

As long as you acknowledge the existence of her dental deity, the Tooth Fairy you may pass.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

theorange4

I grew up in a quasi-religious (Christan) family. My mother want to church occasionally dragging my sister and I along then depositing us in Sunday School. I learned that Jesus and God loved us and took care of us, but when I questioned where God and Jesus were (the one being invisible the other dead) the answers just didn't ring true or logical.

As I grew away from church I began to wonder why someone would allow themselves to be killed to save me, didn't make sense nor did the bible itself.

So left to my own devices I began to question the very existence of God and all that was supposed to follow from him. Eventually I gave the whole thing up. I was on my way to becoming an atheist. Then along came this forum. I was delighted, joined and posted a few times.

Now after reading thru a number of posts and doing more thinking, it dawns on me that I am not an atheist but contrary to the "black or white" theory I am not a theist either.

I no longer have problems with religions; what anyone wishes to believe is OK with me. I've no quarrel with a God(s) nor am I angry at "Him" as some believe drives atheism.

If, in the future, someone comes up with concrete evidence of the existence of God, I, then, will have to rethink my beliefs.

As an aside, it seems to me that many people (though not all) on this forum, are antagonistic toward any and all religions but especially Christianity.

Robert

I am curious, though, what you would call yourself if you aren't an atheist or a theist (and I would also assume not a deist). I will say that it is a bit problematic to state that no God exists. Sure, maybe to you. If you are to make a factual claim, then you should be prepared to support it with facts. It is wiser to state that "there is not sufficient evidence to support the existence of a God". I would agree that many atheists are very militant, which contributes to negative stereotypes. I think many atheists act more aggressively against religion because they have seen the harm that it can do to others, and even themselves.