News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Me 1 atheism 0

Started by Ro3bert, August 16, 2014, 11:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ro3bert

I grew up in a quasi-religious (Christan) family. My mother want to church occasionally dragging my sister and I along then depositing us in Sunday School. I learned that Jesus and God loved us and took care of us, but when I questioned where God and Jesus were (the one being invisible the other dead) the answers just didn't ring true or logical.

As I grew away from church I began to wonder why someone would allow themselves to be killed to save me, didn't make sense nor did the bible itself.

So left to my own devices I began to question the very existence of God and all that was supposed to follow from him. Eventually I gave the whole thing up. I was on my way to becoming an atheist. Then along came this forum. I was delighted, joined and posted a few times.

Now after reading thru a number of posts and doing more thinking, it dawns on me that I am not an atheist but contrary to the "black or white" theory I am not a theist either.

I no longer have problems with religions; what anyone wishes to believe is OK with me. I've no quarrel with a God(s) nor am I angry at "Him" as some believe drives atheism.

In my space-time continuum the concept of "God" does not exist, therefore I cannot be an atheist (or theist for that matter).

If, in the future, someone comes up with concrete evidence of the existence of God, I, then, will have to rethink my beliefs.

As an aside, it seems to me that many people (though not all) on this forum, are antagonistic toward any and all religions but especially Christianity.

Robert

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

josephpalazzo

We are not antagonistic towards theists if they keep their beliefs privately. It's when they push to have the political institutions to embrace their beliefs. As non-believers we must be vigilant to keep the state as secular as possible.

PickelledEggs

For some reason, this post reminds me of casparov

Sent from your mom

the_antithesis

the_antithesis

PickelledEggs

Quote from: the_antithesis on August 16, 2014, 12:08:16 PM
Who?
That guy that debated Mr o in the debate hall

Sent from your mom

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Ro3bert on August 16, 2014, 11:54:08 AM

As an aside, it seems to me that many people (though not all) on this forum, are antagonistic toward any and all religions but especially Christianity.

Robert
SFW?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 16, 2014, 12:10:39 PM
That guy that debated Mr o in the debate hall

Nope.

Don't remember that guy.

_Xenu_

There's only a couple of things I would change about that. First, unless you can prove the existence of some other space-time continuum, this is the only one. If you have concluded no god exists within it, you are an atheist. Being an atheist doesn't automatically mean you're hostile towards religion, just that you find the existence of a deity unlikely or improbable.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

wolf39us

Quote from: the_antithesis on August 16, 2014, 12:45:05 PM
Nope.

Don't remember that guy.

The one with Casper the friendly ghost as his avatar

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: wolf39us on August 16, 2014, 01:00:42 PM
The one with Casper the friendly ghost as his avatar

Leave it, if he doesn't remember him it's all the better for him; Casparov wasn't worth occupying your mind anyway.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Solitary

Religion is like a penis, keep it in your pants, no problem, show it to kids, you're a pervert. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 16, 2014, 01:21:02 PM
Leave it, if he doesn't remember him it's all the better for him; Casparov wasn't worth occupying your mind anyway.

They all blur together alarmingly quickly. Probably why I used to accuse them of being sock puppets all they time until I realized they weren't the same guy under a new account but different people who were just as depressingly uninteresting.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Ro3bert on August 16, 2014, 11:54:08 AMNow after reading thru a number of posts and doing more thinking, it dawns on me that I am not an atheist but contrary to the "black or white" theory I am not a theist either.
Do you worship or acknowledge the existence of a deity? No? Then you're an atheist. Get over yourself.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel