News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Me 1 atheism 0

Started by Ro3bert, August 16, 2014, 11:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Ro3bert on August 16, 2014, 11:54:08 AM
Now after reading thru a number of posts and doing more thinking, it dawns on me that I am not an atheist but contrary to the "black or white" theory I am not a theist either.
You might want to call yourself ignostic (yes you can actually google it and check it out).  It's a philosophy composed of mostly word salad, but there are people that take it seriously and who love to talk about how special they are as ignostics.

Their position is that God is not defined and is therefore meaningless, so there is no point in discussing the issue.  In fact, they even have a church, the Church of Reality,

( http://www.churchofreality.org/wisdom/does_god_exist/god/we_are_ignostic.html )

...where the born-again and recent converts to ignosticism sit around and discuss why it's not meaningless to not discuss the discussion of what is meaningless.

Well, it's all very esoteric, but if you try really hard, you can almost convince yourself it's a valid position.  Hell, maybe it is valid.  After all, some guy pulled it out of his ass, and presto; Now it's in Wikipedia, has religious like converts, its own church, and it's in Wikipedia!  I don't know if the church has a choir, however.

Hydra009

Quote from: Ro3bert on August 16, 2014, 11:54:08 AMNow after reading thru a number of posts and doing more thinking, it dawns on me that I am not an atheist but contrary to the "black or white" theory I am not a theist either.
Interesting argument.  Let me ask you a question:  do you smoke tobacco products?  (See where I'm going with this?)

QuoteI no longer have problems with religions; what anyone wishes to believe is OK with me.
Is this actually true?  Let's find out.

Are you fine with say, mainline Protestant Christianity?  Catholicism?  Islam?  Judaism?  New Age beliefs?  Mormonism?  Now how about Scientology, UFO religions, fundamentalist Christian groups, Salafist jihadism?

QuoteAs an aside, it seems to me that many people (though not all) on this forum, are antagonistic toward any and all religions but especially Christianity.
Guilty as charged, though I'd challenge the assertion that Christianity is held in any special enmity.  It's simply the closest and most pressing concern since most forum members live in heavily Christian countries.  And most of the things they/we criticize Christianity for can be easily generalized.

Ro3bert

Quote(by Robert)Now after reading thru a number of posts and doing more thinking, it dawns on me that I am not an atheist but contrary to the "black or white" theory I am not a theist either.

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 17, 2014, 04:06:06 PM
Interesting argument.  Let me ask you a question:  do you smoke tobacco products?  (See where I'm going with this?)

I realize I am walking a rather semantically or logically fine line line here but unlike using or not using tobacco where one must be one or the other but not both I could be an ignostic which is a third alternative to the god problem.
Quote(by Robert) I no longer have problems with religions; what anyone wishes to believe is OK with me.

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 17, 2014, 04:06:06 PMIs this actually true?  Let's find out.

Are you fine with say, mainline Protestant Christianity?  Catholicism?  Islam?  Judaism?  New Age beliefs?  Mormonism?  Now how about Scientology, UFO religions, fundamentalist Christian groups, Salafist jihadism?
I am fine with of all of the above and others too. The only one(s) I am against is/are the one(s) that physically attack me with intent to do me bodily harm.

Quote(by Robert) As an aside, it seems to me that many people (though not all) on this forum, are antagonistic toward any and all religions but especially Christianity.
Quote from: Hydra009 on August 17, 2014, 04:06:06 PM
Guilty as charged, though I'd challenge the assertion that Christianity is held in any special enmity.  It's simply the closest and most pressing concern since most forum members live in heavily Christian countries.  And most of the things they/we criticize Christianity for can be easily generalized.
I suppose I should amend my last statement to read "...that some people...."

Robert

doorknob

Now after reading thru a number of posts and doing more thinking,
nor am I angry at "Him" as some believe drives atheism.

Robert

I doubt you've read much of anything. If you had you'd realize that atheists don't hate god any more than we hate unicorns or the tooth fairy.

If we were hostile to any religious people it is only because they came here and then brought it on themselves. We don't go to religious forums to preach atheism. Don't come to an atheist form to preach religion.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: Solitary on August 16, 2014, 04:07:18 PM
Religion is like a penis, keep it in your pants, no problem, show it to kids, you're a pervert. Solitary

Yes indeed, plus you don't ram it down someone else's throat unless they ask you to.   :dance:

Desdinova

Quote from: Ro3bert on August 18, 2014, 09:10:35 AM
The only one(s) I am against is/are the one(s) that physically attack me with intent to do me bodily harm.

Religion, for the most, part attacks and controls the mind.  Those under its control have wreaked havoc upon the world for thousands of years.  In my opinion they all seek to do "bodily harm".
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Ro3bert

Quote from: Desdinova on August 18, 2014, 12:48:47 PM

Religion, for the most, part attacks and controls the mind.  Those under its control have wreaked havoc upon the world for thousands of years.  In my opinion they all seek to do "bodily harm".

In a sense yes, but I am immune to such "attacks".

Robert

Ro3bert

Quote from: doorknob on August 18, 2014, 10:48:32 AM
(1)I doubt you've read much of anything. If you had you'd realize that atheists don't hate god any more than we hate unicorns or the tooth fairy.

(2)If we were hostile to any religious people it is only because they came here and then brought it on themselves. We don't go to religious forums to preach atheism. Don't come to an atheist form to preach religion.

1) I sense a somewhat personal attack, if so I had no intention of irritating anyone and I apologize.

2) I don't understand why you seem to consider I'm here to preach religion; I would be greatly remiss if I was since I am not at all religious and have no inclination to do "preach" anything.

Robert

Hydra009

Quote from: Ro3bert on August 18, 2014, 09:10:35 AMI realize I am walking a rather semantically or logically fine line line here but unlike using or not using tobacco where one must be one or the other but not both I could be an ignostic which is a third alternative to the god problem.
Ignostic is not a third alternative, rather it is implicitly atheistic since it goes without saying that one cannot believe an incoherent proposition.  Logically, there can be no alternative to a mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive question.  One either believes in a God or doesn't.  One either smokes tobacco products or doesn't.  It's super simple stuff.

QuoteI am fine with of all of the above and others too.
At last, a claim that beggars belief even more than the claim of an omnimax god.  All of the above contain unverified or unverifiable claims that could be accurately regarded as superstitious.  Most indoctrinate children with these beliefs and threaten eternal punishment (or alternatively, actual punishment) if these beliefs are challenged or rejected.  Some endorse pseudoscience, especially creationists.  Some literally believe in magic.  Scientology essentially scams people out of their money.  UFO religions include the infamous Heaven's Gate cult.  Don't think I really need to spell out what's wrong there.  And jihadists seek to overthrow secular governments, establish brutal theocracies, and kill non-muslims.  And you're fine with all of them, apparently.  I doubt it.  I seriously, seriously doubt it.

QuoteThe only one(s) I am against is/are the one(s) that physically attack me with intent to do me bodily harm.
You and I need to have a long talk about what the word all means, apparently.  ><

Well, it's a start.  So jihadists are out, then.  And fringe groups within a couple of the others, potentially.

How about causing bodily harm to others?  (either from malice or neglect through denial of medical care)  How about non-bodily harm?  How about depriving others of their rights?  How about childhood indoctrination?

Why do I get the feeling that your above position will not withstand scrutiny?

QuoteI suppose I should amend my last statement to read "...that some people...."
Even so, I doubt very much your statement is actually true of anyone here.  Like I said before, Christianity is focused on more because people are more likely to have more firsthand experience with Christians.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Ro3bert on August 18, 2014, 09:10:35 AM
... I could be an ignostic which is a third alternative to the god problem.

That's just atheism, you fathead.

I am really sick of these know nothing yabbos coming here with some asinine "third" option between theism and atheism because they are raging pussies who refuse to commit to anything.

Antyla

I grew up in a quasi-religious (Christan) family. My mother want to church occasionally dragging my sister and I along then depositing us in Sunday School. I learned that Jesus and God loved us and took care of us, but when I questioned where God and Jesus were (the one being invisible the other dead) the answers just didn't ring true or logical.

As I grew away from church I began to wonder why someone would allow themselves to be killed to save me, didn't make sense nor did the bible itself.

So left to my own devices I began to question the very existence of God and all that was supposed to follow from him. Eventually I gave the whole thing up. I was on my way to becoming an atheist. Then along came this forum. I was delighted, joined and posted a few times.

Now after reading thru a number of posts and doing more thinking, it dawns on me that I am not an atheist but contrary to the "black or white" theory I am not a theist either.

I no longer have problems with religions; what anyone wishes to believe is OK with me. I've no quarrel with a God(s) nor am I angry at "Him" as some believe drives atheism.

In my space-time continuum the concept of "God" does not exist, therefore I cannot be an atheist (or theist for that matter).

If, in the future, someone comes up with concrete evidence of the existence of God, I, then, will have to rethink my beliefs.

As an aside, it seems to me that many people (though not all) on this forum, are antagonistic toward any and all religions but especially Christianity.

Robert
What?

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Antyla on August 18, 2014, 03:42:42 PM
What?
Hey! Nice having you back, Antyla! Long time no see

Ro3bert

Since I was only trying to convey my belief position and not trying to talk someone (anyone) into believing as I do and because I seem to have somehow stirred up a hornets nest I will withdraw from this thread. Thank you all for contributing your thoughts.

Robert

PickelledEggs

Plus if you stop posting, you can keep your primordial ooze banner.