News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Russia Bans Western Food

Started by Munch, August 10, 2014, 01:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 01, 2014, 05:27:35 PM
They are real sanctions and a part of that was freezing the assets of a few people close to Putin.

I must agree that US government does a little. Yes, Timchenko, Rottenberg brother and Kovalchuk had bad luck. But they are officially named businessmen, their assets are easy to find. What about Putin himself, Sechin, Chemezov, Sobianin and two Ivanovs? Don't they really have villas in Florida and accounts in Switzerland? For example, Vladimir Pekhtin, one of United Russia party leaders, owns a luxury house not far from Miami, and feels OK about it.

I realize that you personally should not be responsible for US government, as well as I am not accountable for what Putin does. But I feel what was done was not enough.

Why I say "was". It's today we have rumours here that some real pressure on Putin started.
Maybe he stops now, while our commandos control only really rebel territories in Ukraine, where large part of people would not mind.
Maybe the conflict could be frozen, and so on.
But next target is the town of Mariupol on Azov sea cost. It is in extreme Suth West, right near the border, but is also extremely pro-Ukrainian. If Putin sends troops there it can turn out to be total war, genocide and other Yugoslavia-style things.
Sir Timotheo Montenegro III

Hydra009

Quote from: michael on September 03, 2014, 02:47:26 PMI must agree that US government does a little. Yes, Timchenko, Rottenberg brother and Kovalchuk had bad luck. But they are officially named businessmen, their assets are easy to find. What about Putin himself, Sechin, Chemezov, Sobianin and two Ivanovs? Don't they really have villas in Florida and accounts in Switzerland? For example, Vladimir Pekhtin, one of United Russia party leaders, owns a luxury house not far from Miami, and feels OK about it.
Sure.  I'd agree with freezing those assets as well.

QuoteI realize that you personally should not be responsible for US government, as well as I am not accountable for what Putin does. But I feel what was done was not enough.
Yeah, well, there is the danger of overdoing it and having an even worse disaster come out of this.  But yeah, I can get behind tougher sanctions if the situation continues to get worse.

But one thing has been bothering me about this.  You are a Russian citizen, are you not?  And living in Russia?  Because I think this is the first time I've encountered anyone pushing for economic sanctions on their own country.  Seems like a strange position to take, given how these things tend to hurt the common people more than the belligerents.