What are your feelings on the death penalty?

Started by Alaric I, February 22, 2013, 01:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaric I

Quote from: "surly74"as for the death penalty, it does nothing, it's not a deterrent, solution, cost saver, nothing. It's revenge executed at a state level.

I call bull.  If we didn't have these types of punishments then there would be ramapant killing.  Hell, I'd be able to go to Hollywwod and own the Playboy Mansion.

Plu

It's actually been proven that introducing the death penalty over life in prison increases the amount of violent crime, because people become more willing to kill others to escape the law or avoid leaving witnesses if they know they'll get killed if caught.

Once someone realises they're going to get the death penalty, they will stop at nothing to avoid being caught. That's the danger of introducing it, and why many countries no longer issue it.

Alaric I

Quote from: "Plu"It's actually been proven that introducing the death penalty over life in prison increases the amount of violent crime, because people become more willing to kill others to escape the law or avoid leaving witnesses if they know they'll get killed if caught.

Once someone realises they're going to get the death penalty, they will stop at nothing to avoid being caught. That's the danger of introducing it, and why many countries no longer issue it.

Proof?

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "Alaric I"
Quote from: "Plu"It's actually been proven that introducing the death penalty over life in prison increases the amount of violent crime, because people become more willing to kill others to escape the law or avoid leaving witnesses if they know they'll get killed if caught.

Proof?

Something tells me it's going to be real difficult proving a direct correlation there.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

Plu

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterre ... thvwithout

Granted, there is a lot of controversy on the issue so it's probably worth reading around a bit. The whole website has a lot of info on the death penalty (duh, given the name)

surly74

Quote from: "surly74"as for the death penalty, it does nothing, it's not a deterrent, solution, cost saver, nothing. It's revenge executed at a state level.

I call bull.  If we didn't have these types of punishments then there would be ramapant killing.  Hell, I'd be able to go to Hollywwod and own the Playboy Mansion.

call bull on what?
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

surly74

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"
How is life without parole any different?

Are any of the things i listed justification for life without parole?
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Jmpty

Proof?
???  ??

Alaric I

Quote from: "Plu"http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates#stateswithvwithout

Granted, there is a lot of controversy on the issue so it's probably worth reading around a bit. The whole website has a lot of info on the death penalty (duh, given the name)

Ya dude, that is biased.  Despite claiming they have no stance on the death penalty, a quick look around shows they are anti-death penalty.

surly74

Quote from: "Jmpty"

Proof?

i thought of asking that question but then figured the proof was he hasn't gone on a killing spree yet.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

surly74

Quote from: "Plu"http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates#stateswithvwithout

Ya dude, that is biased.  Despite claiming they have no stance on the death penalty, a quick look around shows they are anti-death penalty.

so how are the numbers wrong?
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Aroura33

[youtube:11pk06sy]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wntitiiLotk[/youtube:11pk06sy]

The philosophy professor in the first half of part two explains pretty well why the death penalty (and really, why NO penalties) deter crimes, except in a very small percentage of a very specific type of crime.

If people want to commit a crime, they will (in most cases) regardless of what, if any, penalty there is if they are caught.  The argument that only punishment is stopping you really is no different than the argument that xtians use that the only thing stopping them (and supposedly, even we atheists) is Gods punishment.  I'm with Penn....It's BULLSHIT.

The entire video is really good, honestly, and brings up a lot of other good points about the death penalty as well.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Alaric I

Quote from: "surly74"

so how are the numbers wrong?

It has nothing to do with numbers.  You claimed that it's been proven that the death penalty isn't a deterrant and then presented a biased source.  I can take truths and set them up to fit my view point but it's still not truth because I am deliberately fitting it into my own little box.

Aroura33

Quote from: "Alaric I"It has nothing to do with numbers.  You claimed that it's been proven that the death penalty isn't a deterrant and then presented a biased source.  I can take truths and set them up to fit my view point but it's still not truth because I am deliberately fitting it into my own little box.

Just because the site itself is anti-death pentalty does not inherently make their numbers wrong.  The numbers or the studies themselves would have to be bias to dismiss them, not the people who present those numbers.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

surly74

Quote from: "Alaric I"It has nothing to do with numbers.  You claimed that it's been proven that the death penalty isn't a deterrant and then presented a biased source.  I can take truths and set them up to fit my view point but it's still not truth because I am deliberately fitting it into my own little box.

seriously? you must be a christian with that kind of logic.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson